PDA

View Full Version : I know I sound ungrateful but...

michellerw
03-06-2010, 02:24 AM
...I'm going to say it anyhow. My mom has been here all week helping out after the baby came. I had a c-section and she's basically been taking care of DH and me so I can take care of DD.

I love my mom, but lord almighty the woman can talk and talk and talk on autopilot nonstop all the time. She never really turns it off. I need 5 uninterrupted minutes and I am pretty sure DH does to recharge when he comes home from work at night. But I could never tell my mother that; it would hurt her too much. This is who she is, so instead I am venting.

(Also, it irks me that she keeps telling me how much she loves DD. Yeah, I get it. I love her too. She's my BABY. In fact, it kind of makes me feel like you're trying to outdo me, mom. Back down.)

Ok. Done.

sariana
03-06-2010, 03:38 AM
No advice on your mom, but congratulations on the birth of your baby girl!

(Your mom won't stay forever. Feel free to vent here as much as you need.)

Andi98989
03-06-2010, 06:45 AM
Congrats! If you tell her that you're going to lay down because you need some quiet time, would she get the hint at all? Is your bedroom a safe retreat for you and DH so you can get away from her? Good luck ...

My mom can be pretty overbearing and they only live 20 minutes away. I was terrified she'd show up on my doorstep every day once we got home. I told her that DH would be home for the first week or so and we'd call if we needed her. :) Around week 2 we did call her and she came to spend the night with us; DS was being really crazy with getting up during the night. She spent the night in the glider in the nursery and got him to sleep pretty descent for us. Yay!!

TwinFoxes
03-06-2010, 08:44 AM
I feel your pain. My MOTHER IN LAW came to stay with us about three days after I got home from my c-section, I had been in the hospital for four weeks, so I didn't have a chance to even get used to being at home when she arrived. My DH insisted she would "help us out". I love my MIL, but she also talks non-stop, and has to have the TV on at all times. So I hear her blabbing, and the TV on, when I'm trying to wrap my head around what just happened! What we needed was someone who could do shopping etc. for us because the girls were still in the NICU, and we wanted to spend time with them. But she's not the type to try to figure her way around LA on her own. So she came to the NICU with us every day...and talked so much that the nurse had to tell her to shut up because she was disturbing the babies!!! (what's funny is she tells me how her own MIL used to annoy her, and one of her complaints...too much talking!) She also used to come in while I was pumping...my one sanctuary.

Oops, this was your bitch, sorry. Again, I feel your pain!!!!

Congratulations on you little one! Lots of hugs. :hug:

misshollygolightly
03-06-2010, 08:52 AM
:hug: I know how you feel. I love my mom and don't get to see or talk to her often as she lives overseas, but sometimes the fuss she makes over DS when she *is* here drives me up the wall. Especially when he was first born and I was trying to adjust to mommyhood. And my mom is also sort of a mindless chatterer. All I can say is 'this too shall pass'...she won't be living in your home forever, and you'll get some privacy and sanity back. And though I hope I'm a little less extreme if/when I ever have grandkids of my own, I do hope that my children will cut me some slack for whatever silly or annoying things I do in spite of myself.

SnuggleBuggles
03-06-2010, 09:54 AM
That's what long bathroom trips are for. Parenting survival, imo. :) Keep a stash of books in there and you can read in peace for a few minutes. Either that or send her on errands. My mom drove me a bit crazy after ds1 too. MIL was fabulous though!

Congratulations!!!! :)

Beth

LarsMal
03-06-2010, 01:46 PM
Congrats on your new baby girl!!!

My mom NEVER shuts up! I love when she comes to help me, but the woman never.stops.talking. She is either running her mouth to us or on her cell phone blabbing and telling the same story to ten different people. I'm pretty used to it and have mastered the art of tuning her out, but DH has not. He finds anything and everything else he can do besides stay in the room with her.

Just say you need to take a nap and retreat to your bedroom for a little ear rest!!

tylersmama
03-06-2010, 09:51 PM
Congratulations on your new addition!

I so hear your pain on your mom. My mom came for two weeks when DS was born. I was totally ready for her to leave after a week, but we couldn't get her flights changed without breaking the bank (and believe me, we checked! :bag). Hang in there!

michellerw
03-06-2010, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the ears. I'm so amused that everyone has been there, too. My MIL was actually here the day we came home from the hospital and she was a total gem, but my mom is a complete bulldozer -- I guess we're just too much alike.

I will say that mom has been a huuuuuuge help. She went home for the weekend and even left meals in the fridge for DH and me and all the laundry, save for what was in the basket in the MBR was done. She has made it much easier for me to heal and to focus on becoming a mom.

MamaMolly
03-06-2010, 10:16 PM
Awwww, congrats on your new little one!

My mom and I also butt heads. And she just arrived today for a 10 day visit. I remember a recent visit when I couldn't get this buzzing out of my head. Turns out it was my mom talking yack, yack, yack endlessly. I had tuned it out until the 'buzzing' got so annoying that I had to look around for what it was. :bag

I'm feelin' your pain!