PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! Birthday emergency

mommy33
03-06-2010, 08:27 AM
DD turns one today, which I'm obviously very excited about. She had a little cradle cap and got her hair cut the other day. The person cutting her hair said that if I rubbed "a little" baby oil into her scalp a half hour before washing her hair, that should help.

Last night, eager to make her all spiffy for her big day, I rubbed more than a little baby oil into her scalp. Okay. It was a lot. We had a bath and I shampooed her really well. Now she looks like she has greasy hair!!!! I'm not sure if another shampoo will do the trick. Any ideas?? I only have a few hours before pictures start being taken!

TwinFoxes
03-06-2010, 08:32 AM
I would try to get some of the "dry shampoo" that basically soaks up excess oil in hair. Some people say you can use regular baby powder, but that just seems like opening a big bag of worms (hmm, powder didn't work, how about more water? Or flour? or...)

Or a cute hat.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

SnuggleBuggles
03-06-2010, 09:56 AM
I'd wash it again. Don't stress about the cradle cap. If it's there, it's there. That's just who she is right now. :)

Happy birthday! :)

Beth

wendmatt
03-06-2010, 10:08 AM
put shampoo BEFORE you wet her head to break up the oil, then rinse, might have to wash it twice but putting the shampoo first should do the trick.

Leeannpk
03-06-2010, 10:24 AM
Yes to washing again. If you are *very* careful, you could try using an extremely small amount of dishsoap like Dawn (it takes grease out of your way!) mixed with the shampoo - just be sure to keep it away from her eyes and rinse really, really well.

mommy33
03-06-2010, 10:42 AM
Thank you everyone for your input!! I actually did use the baby powder method, the drop of dish soap (I didn't have dawn but I tried what I had) and washed her hair four times (I'm not usually this obsessive!!!). It's hard to tell right now, but I think it worked. I'll have to see when her hair is completely dry. Thanks again!!

mariza
03-06-2010, 10:42 AM
I was going to suggest a bit of Dawn too. I remember reading they used Dawn to clean ducks after an oil spill. Not quite the same thing, but should work. Happy Birthday!

maydaymommy
03-06-2010, 11:35 AM
Just wanted to say good luck & enjoy the day. What a great story for the baby book.

I can't believe you got a one year old to let you wash her hair 4 times!

sariana
03-06-2010, 12:48 PM
Even if the oil isn't completely gone, it could actually make her hair look nice and smooth for the pictures. I don't think it will look greasy unless you have some really fancy, schmancy camera that is super high-def.

Have a great birthday party!

mommy111
03-06-2010, 01:39 PM
Happy birthday!
We've had that happen and a couple of things work really well...shampoox2 without conditioner after. Esp shampoo on dry hair and then wash as mentioned.
Soap....soaping hair really well with any regular soap bar (not Dove, too much moisture) works really well
And then, of course, Dawn, but that tends to dry things out too much, I think and makes hair rough. Soap is so much better.