PDA

View Full Version : playdate etiquette for dummies

boolady
03-06-2010, 10:40 AM
DD just got invited to a playdate at one of her best school friend's house tomorrow (Sunday) at 10 a.m. We have been there once before, though a long time ago, and usually have playdates with them at the park. Therefore, being a Sunday at 10 a.m., do I bring something? Donuts or pastries or something, or do DD and I just show up empty-handed? I don't want to be rude either way. This sort of thing always makes me nervous.

g-mama
03-06-2010, 10:46 AM
Are you staying or dropping your dd off? If you're staying, that might be a nice idea (but certainly wouldn't be rude if you didn't) but if you're dropping off, I wouldn't do anything.

SnuggleBuggles
03-06-2010, 11:00 AM
In our circle, the host provides everything so bringing something is unnecessary. Though, if you want to bring something like mini muffins I am sure that would be fine.

beth

egoldber
03-06-2010, 11:04 AM
I never bring anything to a playdate (except I do bring a soymilk "box" for Amy because she doesn't drink cow's milk) and no one brings anything when they come over.

crl
03-06-2010, 01:09 PM
I wouldn't bring anything, though I'm sure it's fine either way. (I actually do bring things to playdates, but that's because DS has food allergies and I don't want to rely on/burden the playdate host with those.)

Catherine

squimp
03-06-2010, 03:07 PM
You don't need to bring anything, but I would never turn away donuts if I were hosting! Since it's your first, why not?

2Carol
03-06-2010, 10:10 PM
You said you've had playdates in the park before - have they brought snacks and shared? Do they have any allergies at their house?

I think bringing donuts (so long as no one is allergic) or muffins or fruit is a nice gesture.

I would probably bring something.

newg
03-06-2010, 10:15 PM
For my playdates the host provides the snacks, but sometimes I'll toss in a snack cup with something I know DD can eat and a water in her sippy straw cup.....just in case she doesn't like/want whats being offered............my friends do the same when they come to my house too.

I think either way you'd be fine........and then when you have the playdate, the favor would probably be returned.

boolady
03-06-2010, 10:38 PM
Thanks, everyone! We were at their house once before, over a year ago, and I didn't bring anything, but it was a few days after Christmas 2008 so DD brought her friend a My Little Pony. It's just hard for me to know, because we only know this family from school/daycare-- they're not friends of mine and DH's. If they were family friends, I wouldn't be worrying.

They're very nice, I just get nervous, as silly as that sounds...I don't want to do something inappropriate and have this very nice family figure out that I'm as clueless as I am. DH told me I'm making wayyyyy too much of this, which is the case, I'm sure. I guess I'm just feeling pressure not to dork this up for DD. Thanks again!

DrSally
03-06-2010, 11:15 PM
I guess I'm just feeling pressure not to dork this up for DD. Thanks again!

I know the feeling :rotflmao:
I think pp's are right, you can bring something as a nice gesture, but you'd prob be fine bringing nothing as well.

boolady
03-07-2010, 05:35 PM
Not that anyone particularly cares, but we didn't end up bringing anything with us, primarily because we ended up not having time to stop anywhere. Everything was fine. DD had just eaten, they had clearly just finished breakfast a short time before, and with the nicest weather we've seen in months, they played outside happily for a solid 2 hours. Thanks everyone!