PDA

View Full Version : There are some lengths I will not go to

Jo..
03-06-2010, 01:23 PM
For a healthy garden.

Saving my urine for garden watering is just never gonna happen.

My favorite line is
If I drink diet sodas, is it still considered organic? :rotflmao:

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/organic/msg0623420619185.html?77

fortato
03-06-2010, 01:39 PM
This surprises me, Jo. I mean, you save your urine for other things.

My cousin saved his to get rid of moles. Apparently, moles were deterred by the scent of human urine. (Which I totally get.) I wondered if it would be twice as strong post asparagus eating.

DietCokeLover
03-06-2010, 01:41 PM
Almost fell out of my lawn chair reading that!

mommy111
03-06-2010, 01:45 PM
For a healthy garden.

Saving my urine for garden watering is just never gonna happen.

My favorite line is :rotflmao:

Of course what you will do and will not do is another matter, but to answer the question that you found so interesting, your urine is indeed organic after you drink diet soda, since the aspartame is converted to a natural ingredient, aspartic acid as it passes through the tubular system of the kidneys, a little known fact that I discovered in my PhD on Urinometrics.
Bwaaahahahahahahaha:hysterical::rotflmao:

Jo..
03-06-2010, 02:24 PM
This surprises me, Jo. I mean, you save your urine for other things.

I NEVER thought you'd figure out the secret ingredient in that special organic shampoo I've been sending you. RATS.

mudder17
03-06-2010, 02:35 PM
Love this thread!:rotflmao:

fortato
03-06-2010, 04:37 PM
I NEVER thought you'd figure out the secret ingredient in that special organic shampoo I've been sending you. RATS.

Yeah... labeling the shampoo "Jo's Pee" didn't help either.

DrSally
03-06-2010, 05:17 PM
Too funny!

Bens Momma
03-06-2010, 05:54 PM
Wow! Just Wow! I don't know what else to say???

Now I have something else to ask before purchasing at the local Farmers' Market this year..."Are those organically grown? And do you water them with human urine?"

Thanks for the info, and the laugh!
R.
Momma to 2 ACTIVE DS :bouncy::bouncy:

newg
03-06-2010, 05:57 PM
My cousin saved his to get rid of moles. Apparently, moles were deterred by the scent of human urine. (Which I totally get.) I wondered if it would be twice as strong post asparagus eating.

I am so glad my DH doesn't know this trick!! He would totally be outside this spring "spraying" for moles!!!!! :rotflmao: I think I will keep this little bit of knowledge to myself!

I use to use fish water for my veggies.........but we don't have fish anymore.

fortato
03-06-2010, 06:01 PM
[QUOTE=newg;2651291]I am so glad my DH doesn't know this trick!! He would totally be outside this spring "spraying" for moles!!!!! :rotflmao: I think I will keep this little bit of knowledge to myself!

QUOTE]

My cousin's wife used to BEG him not to do it during the day. She said "The neighbors can see!! I don't want to be "THAT" family!" Sooooo.....he'd save his daily urine, and pee at night.
She made him a badge with the letters "MW" on them- Mole Wrangler.

I swear... all men would be thrilled if they found out that peeing on something would solve their problems.

dcmom2b3
03-06-2010, 06:29 PM
I swear... all men would be thrilled if they found out that peeing on something would solve their problems.

:hysterical: OMG, you get the award for most profound BBB post involving a bodily function.

sariana
03-06-2010, 06:44 PM

Have we stumbled upon the answer to world peace?

Meatball Mommie
03-06-2010, 07:15 PM
Do you think it would work for chipmunks? I'm only half joking...I have a family of chipmunks living in a rock wall near my garden and last year they ate all my peas. I'd love to find a natural solution to ridding myself of those darn rodents vs the rat poison I was planning on using :(

Snow mom
03-06-2010, 07:57 PM
One of my exes used to pee outside to "keep the deer away.". Sometimes I wonder why that relationship didn't work out ;)

fortato
03-06-2010, 08:33 PM
Do you think it would work for chipmunks? I'm only half joking...I have a family of chipmunks living in a rock wall near my garden and last year they ate all my peas. I'd love to find a natural solution to ridding myself of those darn rodents vs the rat poison I was planning on using :(

Little bastards.

We asked the people at the Agway store if they had any suggestions, and the one solution they had was to bury a 5 gallon bucket in the ground...then fill it half way with water, and float some birdseed on the water.... The chipmunks are NOT swimmers, so they will get stuck in the bucket and drown.
My husband thought that was doable, and I told him that under NO circumstances were we ever going to have a bucket of dead chipmunks on our property. Ever.

dcmom2b3
03-06-2010, 08:48 PM
The only natural remedy for chipmunks that I've ever known is owning a dachshund. Ours terrorized chipmunks into submission for years.

But of course, then you have to deal with the fact that the dog digs up every area that he even suspects chipmunks are burrowing. Not optimal.

EllasMum
03-06-2010, 09:05 PM

:barf: This is kind of like a car wreck - you don't want to look, but when you do, you can't look away! Oh, man. I had no idea people did stuff like that! :)

2Carol
03-06-2010, 09:32 PM
Little bastards.

We asked the people at the Agway store if they had any suggestions, and the one solution they had was to bury a 5 gallon bucket in the ground...then fill it half way with water, and float some birdseed on the water.... The chipmunks are NOT swimmers, so they will get stuck in the bucket and drown.
My husband thought that was doable, and I told him that under NO circumstances were we ever going to have a bucket of dead chipmunks on our property. Ever.

a 5 gallon pail 1/2 filled with water burried to the rim outside sounds like a toddler death trap to me!! YIKES one minute out of your sight when you thought they were playing quietly with the tonka truck in the sandbox and look back at your paperback.....

newnana
03-06-2010, 11:41 PM
Oh man. I have so many replies to this thread that I don't know where to begin. I'm sure to leave one out.

When my dad was talking last night about aerating our lawn and he explained what it was to DD, she looked at him like he was stupid and told him that we didn't need any special "quipment" to do that, that's what the moles do for us. DH is like Bill Murray in Caddy Shack with the gophers with our backyard and the moles. If I told him about human pee deterring moles, he'd have all 3 of us out there dropping trou. Hmm, think of all the water we'd save by not flushing...

I was just talking to DH about building a compost pile or buying one of those composters at costco and taking our city sewer dept up on their $65 rain barrel sale. His response? WTF are you going to do with all that? He thought I was kidding. Could probably have something to do with the massive amounts of weeds in the current garden as I told him I was trying to get it sanctioned as part of the prairie reclaimation project. Yes, I made that up and he bought it for a while.

Jo, please don't send me any shampee. I love a bargain as much as the next girl, but that may be taking it a bit far.

It's dark now, maybe I should go pee in the yard as an experiment. You ladies made my day!

fortato
03-07-2010, 12:15 AM
a 5 gallon pail 1/2 filled with water burried to the rim outside sounds like a toddler death trap to me!! YIKES one minute out of your sight when you thought they were playing quietly with the tonka truck in the sandbox and look back at your paperback.....

Well, yeah. That's common sense.

rlu
03-07-2010, 01:03 AM
Do you think it would work for chipmunks? I'm only half joking...I have a family of chipmunks living in a rock wall near my garden and last year they ate all my peas. (

So you are asking if pee will save your peas?

gatorsmom
03-07-2010, 04:21 AM

We've caught chipmunks with live traps. They look like wire shoe boxes. You can get them at Ace Hardware. Stick a little cracker and cheese and they'll go in no problem. Then take them to a nearby field and let them go. My kids would have been MAD at me if we'd have killed the cute little chipmunks in our yard.

I too have MANY different responses to this thread but I'll leave it at that! :rotflmao:

mommy111
03-07-2010, 05:27 AM

Jo, please don't send me any shampee. I love a bargain as much as the next girl, but that may be taking it a bit far.

Sham-pee :ROTFLMAO:
Now I understand what they market in those organic sham-poo bottles...I knew there was a reason I kept far, far away from that stuff....

Meatball Mommie
03-07-2010, 07:39 AM
So you are asking if pee will save your peas?

:rotflmao:I thought of that as I typed my post! Well, I have 2 boys who pee outside all the time, so I thought if I directed them to pee on the rock wall, maybe we could rid ourselves of the family of chipmunks! I think I'll have to invest in a small Hav-a-heart trap this year. They are so darn cute stuffing their little mouths with peas, but WE want to eat peas too!

Jo..
03-07-2010, 08:51 AM

Snort, giggle, choke. :ROTFLMAO:

MissyAg94
03-07-2010, 01:09 PM
Have we stumbled upon the answer to world peace?
Make pee, not war.

StantonHyde
03-07-2010, 01:28 PM
We have way too many bunnies, squirrels and other assorted varmints. So I put a chicken wire fence around my square foot garden. It's low enough that I can bend over to pick stuff but (so far) nobody has figured to climb the fence and eat what is inside. That is such a better alternative in so many ways.....

When I was a kid we had an issue with giant Norway rats in the wall around our house. We had friends who had a country house which was frequented by black snakes (rat snakes). They could live with a certain number of them because they kept the mice in control but when the snakes got a little too much, they would do a catch and release program. So we asked them to release a snake at our wall. It got rid of the rats and any other rodent that may have lived in that wall. No chipmunks, no mice, no rats, no NOTHING. So ask around to see if you can borrow a nice mouse-eating, non venemous snake :thumbsup: We never actually saw the snake we just never saw rodents either.

Meatball Mommie
03-07-2010, 01:57 PM
We have way too many bunnies, squirrels and other assorted varmints. So I put a chicken wire fence around my square foot garden. It's low enough that I can bend over to pick stuff but (so far) nobody has figured to climb the fence and eat what is inside. That is such a better alternative in so many ways.....

When I was a kid we had an issue with giant Norway rats in the wall around our house. We had friends who had a country house which was frequented by black snakes (rat snakes). They could live with a certain number of them because they kept the mice in control but when the snakes got a little too much, they would do a catch and release program. So we asked them to release a snake at our wall. It got rid of the rats and any other rodent that may have lived in that wall. No chipmunks, no mice, no rats, no NOTHING. So ask around to see if you can borrow a nice mouse-eating, non venemous snake :thumbsup: We never actually saw the snake we just never saw rodents either.

Well, I already have an electric fence around my garden, so that keeps out the larger varmin, just not the chipmunks...they tunnel in! I'd hate to add chicken wire too!!

I don't know if I could handle having a snake around either...I'm deathly afraid of them. Do you think my chickens will scare away the chipmunks this year? ;)

Jo..
03-07-2010, 02:25 PM
I'd rather have 1000 chipmunks than one snake. A single snake sighting and I'd make enough shampee in my pants to last the whole board for a year.

AngelaS
03-07-2010, 02:52 PM
I'd rather have 1000 chipmunks than one snake. A single snake sighting and I'd make enough shampee in my pants to last the whole board for a year.

:water on moniter: Thanks so much. ROTFL!

mommy111
03-07-2010, 03:06 PM
:hysterical: What a great bargain!!!

StantonHyde
03-07-2010, 08:39 PM

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

As for the little buggers who tunnel. I did a square foot garden with a plywood bottom to prevent that!!!