PDA

View Full Version : ROLLING PIN RECIPES: Post recipes that people always ask you to share...

creativelightbulb
03-06-2010, 06:51 PM
I just emailed this recipe to a few of my girlfriends and had the bright idea to post it here. If anyone tries it pls. let me know how you like it.

Squash Casserole:applause:

2 lbs Yellow Summer Squash, sliced
1 medium yellow onion chopped
1 carrot grated (I usually buy the lil bag of shredded carrots)
1 stick of butter
3 cups of grated sharp cheddar cheese (I go heavy on the cheese and normally use 4 cups)
1 8-ounce sour cream
1/2 pkg of Pepperidge farm stuffing mix (I usually use the blue and white bag with the turkey on the front)
1 10.5-ounce can of cream of mushroom soup
salt and pepper to taste

Cook squash in a small amount of water in saucepan until tender; drain. Saute onion and carrot in butter in large skillet. Add squash with half of the cheese, sour cream, stuffing mix, and soup. Mix well. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Pour into buttered 2-quart casserole. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Top with remaining 1 cup of cheese. Bake until cheese melts.

P.S. This is a great way to sneak vegetables past the kids...it tastes JUST like macaroni and cheese...just don't tell them it's squash until after they taste it...

Meatball Mommie
03-06-2010, 07:25 PM
Mom's Mixed Up Salad

3 bags (13 oz each) frozen cheese tortellini, cooked & rinsed w/ cold water
1 can black olives, drained
1 jar green olives, drained
1 jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained & chopped
1 jar marinated mushrooms, drained
1 jar roasted red peppers, drained & chopped
1 jar pepperoncini (hot peppers), drained & chopped
1 jar Gardiniera (pickled veggies), drained and large pieces chopped
1/2 stick hard salami, diced
provolone or cheddar cheese, diced

*quantities of above ingredients can be tailored to individual preferences, I generally just by a can or jar of everything since I like it all!

Dressing:
1 1/2 c olive oil
1/2 c red wine vinegar
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried basil
Parmesan cheese, optional

Combine dressing ingredients in a container w/ lid and shake to combine.

Basically, just throw everything into a large bowl and toss. The salad gets better with age, so it's good to make it the day before you need it. Every time I bring this to an event, I get asked for the recipe, and then the person who I give it to makes it and passes the recipe along - everyone loves this!

An alternative to the tortellini is to serve everything on a bed of greens. The salad doesn't keep for long that way as the greens wilt, but it makes for a nice presentation (and was actually the original recipe - I switched to tortellini myself).

Enjoy!

MaiseyDog
03-06-2010, 07:29 PM
I'm not much to of a cook when if comes to main courses and such, but here's the appetizers I always get asked for.

Corn Dip

3 cans Mexi-Corn (the corn with peppers mixed in)
1 cup Mayo
1 cup Sour cream
3 cups shredded sharp cheddar
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 & 1/2 tsp Chili Powder
Chopped Jalapeno's to taste (I usually start with 1/4 of a can and go from there)

Mix together and refrigerate as long as possible- preferably overnight. Serve with Frito Scoops

Mississippi Sin

1/2 cup sour cream
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup cream cheese
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1 cup chopped ham
1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
Dash of worcestershire sauce
Loaf of french bread

Slice off too of bread and hollow out the inside. Mix all the ingredients and pour inside the hollowed out bowl. Put top back on bread. Wrap in several layers of aluminum foil. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Use the peices of bread saved from the hollowed out loaf's interior for dipping. May also use crackers.