PDA

View Full Version : I notice a lot of people have more than one stroller . . .

Green22
03-06-2010, 07:01 PM
Do you think this is a luxury or a necessity?

I had my heart set on getting the BJCM (after using a snap and go) as I love the fold, the size seems okay for our 02 & 07 saturn cars, and it seems like I will be able to carry it up the steps to our small apt without problems. I intend to use it for everything - suburban sidewalk walks, mall trips and park & zoo trips. I like the handle b/c I like the idea of being able to push one handed so I can take the dog with us on neighborhood walks. We aren't big travelers so I don't think we'll need to worry about airplane trips (until she's big enough for disney).

But I keep seeing about umbrella strollers "for the car" and wonder if I should be thinking about getting an umbrella stroller as well? Or can I make it with just this one?

Thanks!

salsah
03-06-2010, 07:11 PM
justifiable luxury? there are legitimate reasons for NEEDing more than one stroller. but if you can't afford it, you'll survive with out it. so it really is a luxury. yes, you can get one do-it-all stroller. many people do. some realize that there are other/better options but choose to make do with what they have. others aren't aware that there are other/better options that they might "need" and well, you can't miss what you never had.

from what you describe, you will most certainly be fine with the bjcm. i can list many reasons why you should get other types of strollers (reversible, AT, umbrella), but you don't need them. if you were to get a second stroller, i certainly would not get an umbrella in addition to the bjcm. they are too similar in category -- i would rather one or the other (which ever suits your needs best -- in your case the bjcm) and use my money for something in a different category (if i'm going to get a second stroller).

MamaBear
03-06-2010, 07:19 PM
justifiable luxury? there are legitimate reasons for NEEDing more than one stroller. but if you can't afford it, you'll survive with out it. so it really is a luxury. yes, you can get one do-it-all stroller.

:yeahthat:

I've got two strollers. The first (a Cam) was our one-and-only for three years. Another baby resulted in another stroller (LOL, my husband claims that's why I agreed to having another kid!). We do do a lot of travel, and I'm currently trying to convince him that, if we got a Bee (or Bee Plus), then we could fit in a car and not have to rent a mini-van, and save him the humiliation of having to drive a mini-van on the Autobahn.

Do I *need* another one? No. But I remind him that his DSLR could work with just one lens. :rotflmao:

codex57
03-06-2010, 07:26 PM
A BJCM will be fine for a car over an umbrella stroller. Even if you drive a G35 coupe or something. Might have problems with some convertibles, but then the kids might not fit well either.

They're more of a luxury for us. If we really had to pick, our Zippy could (and does) everything for us. It's just our other strollers are nice to have in certain limited situations, but we could survive just fine with the Zippy (or the BJCM, cept ours is a double so too big in some cases).

arivecchi
03-06-2010, 07:44 PM
For us, 3 strollers were not necessary, but they sure are convenient. We first had a Valco Trimode with bassinet for the first kiddo. Perfect for Chicago and its harsh winters. However, as baby got bigger and we started taking the stroller in the car more, the Valco was too much of a pain, enter stroller #2, a Maclaren Triumph. Then came DS2 and we needed a double, so enter stroller #3, a BJCCD. I would get a really nice one to start with and add as you see a need. Just my 2 cents. :)

SnuggleBuggles
03-06-2010, 08:13 PM
I made it till ds2 was 15mo before buying a 2nd stroller (so it was ds1's only stroller). I bought the Volo b/c I found it for so cheap that I couldn't resist! Plus, with ds2 I was volunteering so much at ds1's school and having to haul ds2 in his stroller up and down stairs (no elevator) and I thought a small stroller would be nice. Had I not found that deal then I would have used the Graco Metrolite and been just fine.

Oh, I guess I bought a $10 jogging stroller from a yard sale so we did have more than 1 stroller but we barely ever used that.

I think you could make it work fine with 1 stroller. I have a Civic so I ate up a lot of trunk space with the Metrolite but we managed fine.

Beth

MomToOne
03-06-2010, 09:01 PM
My second stroller is a luxury. I just wanted some features that my first didn't have so I bought one that did. I didn't know what I was looking for with the first one because it was ... well, my first one. I intended to sell it when I got the second one, but it's still around and I still use it. It's a smoother ride, the second one is my work horse.

newg
03-06-2010, 09:06 PM
we only have two........we got the second one; an umbrella......when I stopped using the travel system of my chicco carseat and stroller for everyday stuff............I got the ummbrella for a really good deal and have gotten my money out of it........but I lasted a good 12 months before getting the umbrella.

bigpassport
03-06-2010, 09:09 PM
I think it depends on the person/family and their needs. I have a Snugrider, a BOB Revolution and a BJCM. I probably could have done with the BJCM as my one and only if I had gotten the car seat adaptor. But I got my Snugrider for $20 on Craigslist, which is less than a BJCM car seat adaptor. The BOB Revolution for us was a splurge, but it sure is nice to have when we go to parks without paved trails. I may consider getting an umbrella stroller if the need arises in the future, but I can't think of a need our family would have for one that the BJCM doesn't fit. I love our BJCM and keep it in the car.

PGTB
03-06-2010, 11:03 PM
Do you think this is a luxury or a necessity?

I had my heart set on getting the BJCM (after using a snap and go)
Thanks!

Technically, you are about to become a two stroller owner ;). BJCM is not really your only one, since you used snap-n-go as an infant system to get your baby to the age when you could use another stroller that won't be appropriate for a newborn. It's just instead of a bassinet you used a car seat. You could technically just get away with only BJCM, by buying a car seat adapter for it or even a bassinet. The interesting part is that BJCM car adapter costs as much as snap-n-go and bassinet would bring up a cost above an beyond the cost of additional stroller frame (e.g. snap-n-go). Basically, this is a situation when owning one stroller is more expensive than two ;)

Alternatively, you can also say that having even one stroller is a luxury, because you can get around with a baby carrier and have them walk when they are ready like they do in 'non-stroller' cultures.

As far as your personal needs are concerned BJCM should work well for you. But let's say if you were living in a area with dirt trails and wanted to walk around outside, you would need all-terrain stroller for it, BJCM wouldn't do. Dragging AT stroller in and out of the car would get to be a big pain (they are heavy and bulky), so, you would want to get a 'car stroller' in addition.

Having two strollers doesn't have to be expensive, besides you can get them used and often can have two strollers for less than one higher end brand new stroller. Also, many people end up owning more than one stroller as baby grows or their needs change or when they feel like their current stroller choice isn't working as intended. Many people also end up selling their strollers, so they sort of use multiple strollers over time, even though they only use one at any given time-frame.

So, no, I don't think it's a luxury. It really depends on your personal needs, your lifestyle, the type of living arrangement you have, how many kids you are transporting, how you travel.. etc.

Green22
03-07-2010, 12:25 PM
Technically, you are about to become a two stroller owner ;). BJCM is not really your only one, since you used snap-n-go as an infant system to get your baby to the age when you could use another stroller that won't be appropriate for a newborn. It's just instead of a bassinet you used a car seat. You could technically just get away with only BJCM, by buying a car seat adapter for it or even a bassinet. The interesting part is that BJCM car adapter costs as much as snap-n-go and bassinet would bring up a cost above an beyond the cost of additional stroller frame (e.g. snap-n-go). Basically, this is a situation when owning one stroller is more expensive than two ;)

Lol, I know! I wanted to do the adaptor, but I'm getting the KeyFit car seat and the adaptor that will work for it might not be out when the girl comes along.

I find that there are a lot of things people say you can make do without, but you really can't! I just wondered if this was one of those things that after she gets here, I'm going to be running out and buying because it really is something you need to make day to day life doable.

Thanks all!:)

SnuggleBuggles
03-07-2010, 01:02 PM
If you stay off of this board then you really won't give your 1 stroller a second thought, imo. I never felt like I was missing out by not having that second stroller till I started reading here. I was doing just fine but I got all carried away reading here and thought that I had to have one. Ignorance is bliss. Stay on the other sub boards and just ignore all the tempting talk here. :)

BEth

chozen
03-07-2010, 03:04 PM
If you stay off of this board then you really won't give your 1 stroller a second thought, imo. I never felt like I was missing out by not having that second stroller till I started reading here. I was doing just fine but I got all carried away reading here and thought that I had to have one. Ignorance is bliss. Stay on the other sub boards and just ignore all the tempting talk here. :)

BEth

hey now, she could still own only one but now because of the great advice here hopefully she will own a good one, instead of buying one that steers like a truck and she threaten to throw in the trash after every use, like i did before i learned more from this wonderful board.;)

MoJo
03-07-2010, 03:13 PM
My jogging stroller (which was a hand-me-down from a friend) doesn't fit in either car if the family is in it too, and I can't push our cheapie umbrella strollers if I walk to the park or the post office (but they are fine for the mall--maybe it's just because I don't know what I'm missing!). I can't afford a $300 stroller of any type, so yes, we have more than one, and for me, it's actually the economical & practical way to live.

And now that I'm pregnant, if I didn't have a stroller, I'd have to stop a lot of what I do, because I can't carry DD that long even in a carrier, and she is not at all good at holding my hand and staying with me if let her walk.

arivecchi
03-07-2010, 03:53 PM
deleted - wrong thread

AnnieW625
03-07-2010, 04:57 PM
Honestly we have 3, but right now our single jogger isn't getting used much (DD doesn't like the straps). We have always had two strollers. When DD was first born we had a Peg Perego Pliko and it worked out okay for quick walks, but I was soo happy to have my jogger. I would've been lost without the jogger. A year ago when I became pregnant with the baby we lost I found an Uppa Baby Vista on Craigslist and thought that would be a great stroller for two kids for walks to and from the park (and maybe the mall or library) because it has a toddler board attachment. (I had long since gotten rid of the Pliko) I also really wanted a stroller that would be reversable for #2. We actually have ended up using the Vista for the better part of the last year because DD preferred it to the jogger. We would have also been lost without our do everything umbrella stroller too that we've had since DD was 3 mos. old.

sadie427
03-07-2010, 07:21 PM
It sounds like just the BJCM may be fine for you. We have one plus a Volo (car/travel stroller) and a jogger, but unless we are going to use a lot of public transportation on a trip we often bring the BJCM because of the recline, better sunshade and better basket. We use the Volo on bus trips at home or if traveling somewhere where we're going to use buses and trains. IMO an umbrella stroller is only a must-have if you take public transportation a lot at home or when traveling.

Melaine
03-07-2010, 08:19 PM
I've gone through 7-8 doubles but I don't think I ever had more than two at a time. If I ever get the experience of using a single who knows what I might do....although then there would be more to choose from!