PDA

View Full Version : Q about Banana Republic

JenaW
03-06-2010, 08:36 PM
I saw something recently (here?) that BR does free alterations. Does anyone know if this extends to clothing bought at their factory outlet and as well as second hand purchases (i.e. ebay?). How/where do you get the alterations? Do they have to be at the original point of purchase?

Also, can anyone who is a BR frequent buyer tell me where I can find pants comparable to the martin fit? I recently bought several pairs off the clearance rack at the outlet store. I really like the cut and fit, but even their regular length is long for me at 5ft7in unless I wear heels. I have not had good luck with ON or Gap pants recently. I have gotten some from ATL in the past, but the ones that I liked are now fitting loose in the butt area even though they are snug in the waist (usually it is the other way around, my waist bands are gaping because I need to go up a size to accommodate my ample hips/thighs/butt). Someone recommended Martin and Osa but they don't seem to have any pants I like right now. I can NOT do the skinny or tapered leg at all. I am too "hippy" for that look. Wasn't there a "more mature" version of Gap that people used to like? Any other recs?

TIA!

ilfaith
03-06-2010, 09:14 PM
In the past BR did offer free hemming on full-price merchandise. But this seems to have changed.

According to their website...

Banana Republic Alterations Policy

Banana Republic charges for all basic alterations on both regular price and sale merchandise. Please note: "Basic alterations" is defined as hemming pants and skirts only.

Banana Republic will only perform basic alterations; therefore, customers who are in need of alterations outside pant/skirt hemming will be referred to outside vendors. If available, Banana Republic stores will provide customers with contact information for nearby vendors that can perform further alterations.

Luxe cardholders will continue to get free basic alterations on both regular price and sale merchandise.

cvanbrunt
03-06-2010, 09:44 PM
I love the martin fit as well. Recently, I have been very happy with JCrew pants, both the favorite and city fits. I don't love the new Ann Taylor cuts; I prefereed the old Lindsay style. But the modern cut at AT is acceptable. What about the short inseam at BR? It's longer than the petite pants.

lmintzer
03-07-2010, 10:30 AM
If you have a certain level of Gap card, you can also get free basic alterations at BR.

nupe
03-07-2010, 11:48 AM
So I used to be a huge BR shopper up until a few months back. I thought it might be the tighter (time) return policy, pricing difference between store and online, or that the last splurge outfit was more than I wanted to spend, and on top of that the seam in the side of the skirt started coming apart after wearing it twice. But then I went for a visit last week and had a hard time finding things I wanted to even try on.

Free alterations do not apply to outlet items. Free alterations apply to luxe. No longer to full price, and I don't know what else.
You don't need to do it at point of sale. For example, if I 'm traveling, I'll buy the item and then take it to my local BR for alterations. I usually have my receipt with me and the tag still on it. Other times I may want to come back with the shoes I am going to wear with the pants, so the length will be correct (flats vs heels).

Used to be a huge Martin fan. I'm hippy compared to my waist too. The newer martins (last 2 years) don't fit me as well as older martins (2-3 yrs ago). The good news is that the older Martins (wool) are still in fabulous condition and look new. I have found a few BR Ryan pants that have fit me well, and some that have been huge. Not sure why there would be so much variation. I have had a few old school AT pants I've liked, but that was 3years ago, and last year and this year I don't find AT to be a good fit. I have had people recommend Gap long and lean cut for jeans to me. My favorite jeans right now are BR denim from last winter.

Melbel
03-07-2010, 02:10 PM
If you have a certain level of Gap card, you can also get free basic alterations at BR.

Gap Silver gets free alterations per the B&M store but I was told otherwise on the phone so YMMV.