PDA

View Full Version : Do you have arthritis? What do you take for pain?

HIU8
03-06-2010, 08:40 PM
I have arthritis really bad in my right hand (thank you mom and grandma). Right now my pointer finger is locked into place and in severe pain. I usually take advil. Anyone have a suggestion for something other than advil to alleviate pain?

tmarie
03-06-2010, 10:00 PM
Alleve always works well for me. Hope you feel better!

tmarie

NewfieNat
03-06-2010, 10:40 PM
I don't, but my 3 year old daughter does. She takes naproxen (aleve) twice a day. Also methotrexate injections once a week to keep it from flaring up in the first place, and prednisone during the worst flares.

gatorsmom
03-07-2010, 03:29 AM
I posted to bump this because there are a couple posters here who have a lot of experience with arthritis. If you do a search you will probably find a few good threads discussing this.

Imho, you should see a doctor about this. Depending on what kind of arthritis you have, it can progressively get worse and start affecting your other fingers and toes. It's important to start treatment as early as possible to prevent the progression and bone loss.

My Dh, who is 38, was diagnosed with severe rhuematoid (sp) and psoriatic arthritis. He was taking several aleve and advil during the day for pain and when that stopped working he saw a doctor who started him on methotrexate. Methotrexate is a VERY serious drug- it's used in some cancer chemotherapies. It can affect different people diffferently, but my DH started to behave VERY strangely after taking it so he stopped. He now does weekly injections of Enbrel and they have improved his arthritis IMMENSELY although he gets bad headaches occasionally (we arent' sure if the headaches are caused by the medication or stress he puts on himself or maybe a combo of the 2.).

Not sure that helped but hopefully some other posters will be able to help. Hope you find some relief soon.

lalasmama
03-07-2010, 01:17 PM
I have arthritis in my knees. My MD prescribed Flector patchs for the flare-ups, and, thanks to the patches, I haven't had to miss work in about a year for a flare-up. I :heartbeat: my Flector patches.

Corie
03-07-2010, 01:29 PM
I have arthritis in my neck. My neck hurts all the time.

There is a lot of arthritis in my family. Several family members
have been crippled by arthritis.
My mom had rheumatoid arthritis.