PDA

View Full Version : Best double stroller for Newborn & 3 year old?

jh75
03-06-2010, 11:15 PM
My youngest daughter would be 3 when we have another baby. What would the best double stroller be? I *think* I'd like a side-by-side that a carrier snaps into on one side, but honestly we've never had a double before so I have no idea.

Also, we have a Maclaren single that I love but I can't remember how old does a baby need to be use that.

nikamama
03-09-2010, 09:44 PM
Just bumping. Definitely have a personal interest in this one as my DD will also be a little over 3 when my ds arrives and am wondering if it's worth it to even buy a double. We almost never use a stroller with DD anymore, except for walks, and then she complains mercilessly about being in the stroller. The only other time we put her in the stroller is at Disneyland when we'll be there for a full day. But friends say I'll want her in a stroller with the newborn when I do things like feed the baby when we're out and about at places like shopping malls. Would love to hear anyone else's experiences...

BTW, jh75, I SINCERELY hope this isn't considered a hijack of your original post and if it is, please let me know so I can correct!!!

doberbrat
03-10-2010, 12:02 AM
I'd say dont buy anything yet and wait and see how it goes. dd1 was 4 when dd2 was born.

She was occasionally riding in a stroller for longer outtings but not enough that I wanted to buy a double.

Unfortunately, dd1 is totally and completely in love w/her sister and wants to be in the stroller with her. Even volunteered to lay in the emma bassinet with her. *lol* so we borrowed a mbud to see how it goes. I think I'm going to hate it since its not reversible and dd2 barely rides (likes to be worn) but at least I'm giving it a shot. the venezia w/the step has been great so I might try a board if I can figure out which stroller I want to attach it to.

Roni
03-10-2010, 11:43 AM
I'm not at all a stroller expert, but I can tell you that it helps to take your 3yo stroller shopping. (My dd would with great seriousness pretend to take the baby out of my stomach and place it in the baby seat, before sitting in her own seat. She would then put it back in my stomach when we were done.) I was considering a Sit 'n' Stand until we tried one in the store and realized how easily the 3 yo cold get out of it. I had the same age spread and ended up with a Mountain Buggy. That's a lot of dough, but I needed something I could use on a dirt road with a newborn. So, I did what I had to do at the time. (I had also tried a Jeep double in the store and found that the side by side style is easier to push, but that can be difficult getting through doors etc.) I think it depends on what you will use it for. We actually borrowed a Sit & Stand for a day trip to NYC (when they were 2 & 5), and that worked out much better than our Mountain Buggy would have. There are lots of different options, depending on your needs and price range. (And there's Craig's List, my new personal favorite place to shop.)

arivecchi
03-10-2010, 12:30 PM
We have a double and my 3 year old uses it all the time. We have a Baby Jogger City Classic Double which I love because it has huge separate canopies, very tall seats (great for my tall 3 yo), great air tires, great maneuverability, easy fold. We also have a single with a toddler board and that is not as convenient IMO. I did not want a tandem because they push like beasts. Good side by sides are easy to push even with two heavy kids in it. The double comes in handy whenever we are going anywhere more than a few blocks away. Otherwise, I would end up carrying my 3 yo. It is also awesome if DS1 gets tired as the seats fully recline and he can actually nap completely extended (he is about 41 inches tall now)! We have taken ours to the zoo, parks, football games, drugstore, grocery store, neighborhood walks, trains, fast food places, etc. It fits everywhere except really small stores and crowded places.

satchnbucky
03-10-2010, 08:51 PM
Just saw this on another board - you can get a city elite double for $333 on returns for sale - that's pretty much 1/2 price (it's brown and tan)

http://returnsforsale.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=1433

jh75
03-19-2010, 10:24 PM
J
BTW, jh75, I SINCERELY hope this isn't considered a hijack of your original post and if it is, please let me know so I can correct!!!

Not a problem ;)

I feel like I'm going to need a double stroller (although DH disagrees) because my now 2 year old is still great about riding in the stroller and I'm not sure how good she'll be when the baby arrives about staying right with me when we're out. I'd feel better to have her strapped in, yk? I didn't need one when she was born, but my oldest was 3 1/2 and a complete rule follower. We have gone a few places where it would have been nice to have a double though.

Still looking for a perfect stroller, so if anyone has advice, please suggest!

wendibird22
03-20-2010, 09:53 AM
Have you seen the Baby Jogger City Select? It converts from a single to a double. It's new so not a lot of reviews/feedback out there. DH and I decided to bite the bullet and buy one. They are on backorder everywhere so we placed an order from Amazon but won't have it until sometime next month. DD1 is 2.5 and DD2 is 3mos. We figured this gives us the flexibility to use it as a single for the next 4 or so years with DD2 and also use it as a double for times when DD1 wants or needs to be in a stroller.

sweetsoul99
03-22-2010, 01:07 AM
Still looking for a perfect stroller, so if anyone has advice, please suggest!

Hate to break it to you, but there is NO perfect double stroller. There is always some feature that you're going to have to sacrifice for one that is more important to you. It really depends a lot on how you'll be using the stroller.

My DD1 is about to turn 3, and she's not a super great walker. i have a maclaren techno with a lascal buggy board that stays in my car. LOVE LOVE LOVE it. We call it her skateboard. She is also mature/good natured enough to get on it when I ask. Sometimes I have to use snacks for a bribe. A baby carrier is probably going to be your best bet for the newborn stage. OR, the Lascal board can attach to some strollers that accept car seats.

Then for outdoors we have a BOB revolution. Really, any good side-by-side all terrain works (when I say good I mean one recommended on this forum, there are some peices of junk out there). If my DH didn't run I'd probably have a Baby JOgger, they're not as big. If I HAVE to, I can bring this to the mall with me, but it's a super pain to squeeze into my trunk.

I hope this helps either of you. I spend hours and hours and hours searching, trying, and even buying then selling several doubles. This is what has ended up working the best for me.

Also, don't be afraid to buy a stroller you might only use for a few months. Get it off craigslist, then sell it on craigslist. The high in demand strollers always sold for what I paid for them.

jh75
03-26-2010, 12:06 PM
Which double strollers will take 1 baby car seat?

arivecchi
03-26-2010, 12:08 PM
Which double strollers will take 1 baby car seat? Many doubles take the Graco Snugride. You may have to buy a car seat adapter separately (some brands include the adapter).

fozzie
03-26-2010, 02:24 PM
DD was 3 years and 4 months when DS was born. She was an avid stroller user until he arrived, but we didn't want a double and she was *very* happy to "upgrade" to the toddler roller which she just loves to stand on. She'll stand on it for extended walks, no problem (actually to the point that getting her to walk anywhere is difficult).

So I'd recommend you wait and see if you can get away with the rolling board instead of a double.

jh75
04-10-2010, 10:50 PM
Ok, still debating on what to get. What's your take on the Peg Perego Aria 60/40? Or a Maclaren double? We've got a single Maclaren that I love, but I'm a little hesitant because I know I can't use a car seat with it ever.

Oh, and if it helps, I'll probably be using the stroller in & out of the car a lot, so something easy to fold/lift, etc would be great.

the2bobs
04-10-2010, 11:33 PM
The new Baby Jogger City Select is perfect for a newborn, but not sure your 3 yr old would fit in it. Also, they're expensive and backordered.
I have a tall 2.5 yr old and 7 mo old. DS1 would only fit in Valco Baby Trimode or BJ City Classic Double, City Elite Double or the Micro double. We just bought the Elite Double and love it, but it's really heavy. I love the Macs but needed something a bit more durable--if I just needed a double for errands I would definitely say Mac double and forget about the carseat. If you can get away w/ rolling board that may work well. DS1 must be strapped/tied into the stroller so that wouldn't work for us.

We went to buy the BJ City Mini only to discover that DS1 didn't fit--his head hit the canopy. I really wanted the Valco Baby Ion but he didn't fit in that either. Initially I was looking for a double that would hold a carseat but gave up. Usually running errands I would put DS1 in the shopping cart seat and DS2 in the Baby Bjorn.

poohbear
04-11-2010, 10:05 AM
I know the BJCMD does....
And it has a pretty flat recline as well...

cath_b
05-13-2010, 05:02 AM
...on the baby jogger city select! No matter where I look, it's on backorder. Some says "shipping in mid May" but when you actually call them, they wouldn't be in until June, some July. So what the heck!

I have an 8 month old infant and a 2 years & 8 months old toddler. I have been looking for a double stroller that will fit in between aisles, easy to push and will fit in the car without having to break my back. Glider boards are not an option. Toddler needs to be in the stroller or he will bolt. His stroller riding days are not over just yet, he likes to sit when having his snack and being pushed around. He would also like to be able to nap if he needs to. Honestly, I have not taken my two kids out at the same time (by myself) for the fear that I may have to run after my toddler and leave the infant behind. DS is a sprinter! DS is pretty tall at 38 inches and pretty heavy at 37 lbs. We have a Tike Tech CX3 Twin which we love but too heavy to put in the trunk of a Camry. Any suggestions?

mrsjde
05-13-2010, 08:36 AM
I agree with holding off!

I also just got a Mac Twin Triumph and LOVE it. I was just about to get a MBD until I saw the youtube video of it. I am an urban mom, however, I do a fair amount of driving. Therefore, I needed something that was easy to fold, didn't take up too much room in the car and isn't super heavy. Triumph is great for all of the above!

georgiegirl
05-13-2010, 09:11 AM
DD was 3 years 4 months when DS was born last summer. I had bought a P&T sport with doubles kit, but it didn't work with the car seat and my DD. So DD would either walk and I put DS's bucket in the zooper waltz I had left from DD, or I would wear DS and DD would ride in the maclaren volo. That combo was fine until this spring. (We live in the midwest, so no long walks this winter....DD is fine walking around the mall.) I ended up selling the P&T because DD was too big for the back seat and DS kept trying to grab at the wheels and was't a fan of sitting in the back (although DD would have loved to be back there). I sold it and bought a BJCE single and a rider board (Valco's hitchhiker), but that isn't practical for long walks around the neighborhood. I just ordered a BJCED from albeebaby ($429), and I think it will fit the bill. I needed something that could accommodate a larger child (since DD is not 4), so I ruled out the BJCMD, BOB, MBUD, and Indie twin. If money were no option, I would have gotten a Valco Trimode Twin, but I couldn't justify an extra $200.

I had to think long and hard about what I wanted the double stroller for...the mall (no, DD can walk just fine), long walks around the neighborhood (yes), zoo/amusement park (yes). I wanted something with air tires since we live on 2 acres. I would have gotten the mountain buggy if large children fit in it well. DD isn't particularly large, but at 4 she is 40", which is probably at the end range for most of the other doubles.

Wondermom
05-13-2010, 05:17 PM
I'm watching this string as I'm in the same boat. I have an almost 3-yo and a 4-mo old. Been reluctant to spend money on a double since we spent so much on our first primary stroller (Stokke Xplory Complete). We also have a Bob Revolution single and a single umbrella stroller. I'm just recently considering this idea:

Also, don't be afraid to buy a stroller you might only use for a few months. Get it off craigslist, then sell it on craigslist. The high in demand strollers always sold for what I paid for them.

We'd get enough money back on the Stokke, I think, to cover most the cost of a new Baby Jogger City Select. But since it's so new and lacking in used-it-for-my-2-kids reviews, I'm not sure it's the way to go.

Also, my almost 3-yo DS LOVES to run free when we go on outings, so we try to pick places (parks, etc.) where he can do that. We almost never put him in a stroller anymore, so I'm debating whether a double is even necessary. Seems like a lot of effort to sell the Xplory, and then research/buy a double for very limited use (weekends only).

Maybe something of the sit-and-stand type would seem "adventurous" to the 3-yo and make him actually want to get on it?

ThreeofUs
05-13-2010, 05:19 PM
We have 2: the Bob Duallie Revo, which will take 1 car seat, and the Joovy Caboose Ultralight, which will take the car seat in front.

Both are wonderful and have worked well for us. The Bob for around the neighborhood and on trips. The Joovy for anywhere with pavement.

GL!

ETA: We have 2 boys, about 3.75 years apart. DS1 loves to run, so we needed strollers he could jump on and off, kwim?

jacksmoma
05-13-2010, 05:25 PM
I have a 2.5 year old and i do the same thing- mainly take him to places he can run free w/o the stroller like a local park...on the rare outing he needs to sit down at times (outdoor malls here in so cal) i have a bjcmd (he is 39" tall) and he fits fine. Great great small yet capable double. I've heard the mac doubles are hard to push and i don't like the two really spread apart handles. Keep a single (lightweight under 20 lbs) in the car for places toddler can run around (park etc) as a double is a pita for places one doesn't need to be in...

Wondermom
05-13-2010, 05:43 PM
i have a bjcmd (he is 39" tall) and he fits fine. Great great small yet capable double.

Is that BCJMD a MICRO or MINI? DS1 is tiny, so I'm not worried about fit.

mecawa
05-13-2010, 06:03 PM
Have you seen the Baby Jogger City Select? It converts from a single to a double. It's new so not a lot of reviews/feedback out there. DH and I decided to bite the bullet and buy one. They are on backorder everywhere so we placed an order from Amazon but won't have it until sometime next month. DD1 is 2.5 and DD2 is 3mos. We figured this gives us the flexibility to use it as a single for the next 4 or so years with DD2 and also use it as a double for times when DD1 wants or needs to be in a stroller.

:yeahthat:

I have an age differnce between my girls so I never had a need for a double, but friends of ours just bought this and they love it, if I had to get a double that's what I would get.

cath_b
05-18-2010, 12:27 AM
...on the baby jogger city select! No matter where I look, it's on backorder. Some says "shipping in mid May" but when you actually call them, they wouldn't be in until June, some July. So what the heck!

BJ City Select seems to be sold out or back ordered everywhere. I took a chance and I finally ordered it last Friday and lucked out. It will be shipping out tomorrow. Can't wait to get it hopefully it will have most of the things on my stroller feature wish list. I know the perfect stroller does not exist. :)