PDA

View Full Version : Los Angeles mamas: can you recommend any OBGYNs there?

brgnmom
03-07-2010, 07:53 AM
My DH, DS and I will be moving there in a few months when I'll be in my 2nd trimester. I'd greatly appreciate any recommendations for great OBGYNs in the Los Angeles (westside/Santa Monica) area. Please feel free to PM me if you're concerned about privacy issues. Thank you in advance. :)

brgnmom
03-07-2010, 01:01 PM
bump... totally forgot about the 3-hour time difference. :) I'd greatly appreciate recommendations.

lchang25000
03-07-2010, 01:13 PM
I was about 15 weeks pregnant when I moved out of LA and my OB while there was Lewis Wyatt. He's located in the Cedars-Sinai Medical office tower. I was referred to him by a friend of mine who had her baby delivered by him.

brgnmom
03-07-2010, 01:17 PM
I was about 15 weeks pregnant when I moved out of LA and my OB while there was Lewis Wyatt. He's located in the Cedars-Sinai Medical office tower. I was referred to him by a friend of mine who had her baby delivered by him.

thank you for your recommendation. I've heard positive things about the Cedars-Sinai hospital for L&D.

lchang25000
03-07-2010, 01:21 PM
thank you for your recommendation. I've heard positive things about the Cedars-Sinai hospital for L&D.

You're welcome! It's a great hospital. I used to work there. :D

brgnmom
03-07-2010, 01:28 PM
You're welcome! It's a great hospital. I used to work there. :D

sweet ;) I think I'll be moving around the same time you moved as well during pregnancy (+/- a few weeks, I'll need to wait for my first ultrasound).

lmintzer
03-07-2010, 01:51 PM
My 8 year-old was born at UCLA Medical Center. I loved my OB. His name is Dr. Michael Lu. He was smart, patient, and gentle.

I would highly recommend looking him up.

Back when Jack was born, the way his practice worked was that each doctor delivered his/her own patients!! I'm not sure that is still the case today, but how excellent is that?

AnnieW625
03-07-2010, 04:39 PM

Before you get your heart set on Cedars Sinai make sure that your medical insurance will accept Cedars Sinai. I had a great Blue Sheild policy through my employer (very low cost to me, low co payments, HUGE network of drs and had to pay for very little) but if I had been in LA I would not have been able to deliver at C-S. More and more insurances are dropping it because of cost to do business at that facility.

I am about 40 minutes south of that part of town so I have no recs., but good luck with everything!

Tondi G
03-07-2010, 06:40 PM
Had my 1st DS at Cedars... it is VERY expensive!!!! My OB moved from a practice in BH to a practice in Santa Monica and I followed her there! I had my 2nd DS at St. Johns Hospital in Santa Monica and it was SO much better of an experience. Cedars is like a factory... they deliver so many babies each month. St Johns was more mellow, the facility was brand new when DS 2 was born (he's almost 5 yrs old). The nurses just seemed more caring and had time to spend with their patients ... at cedars they were rushing to the next room. They forgot to give me an ice pack till more than 12 hours after DS was born. I didn't get any pain medicine till the following morning when my doctor came in and figured it out (the nurse came flying through the door with motrin right after my OB left the room). St Johns wasn't nearly as expensive as Cedars either and they didn't charge me for an epidural I never had unlike cedars (leaving me having to make phone calls to insurance and hospital while being a brand new mom).

My OB's name is Klara Vogel she is in the medical towers at St Johns in Santa Monica. Their group is Dr Frumovitz, Matsunaga, Daly, Ross, Thorderson, Vogel and Klevens. The 1st 2 doctors are male and the rest are women. I've been seen by all but 2 of them and they are all very nice and professional. (310) 829-7878

DebbieJ
03-07-2010, 07:14 PM

I've heard the exact opposite! LOL!

I've heard good things about UCLA Med Center. They have midwives that deliver there as well if that's more your cup of tea. Mothering.com is a great place to ask for recs as well.

lmintzer
03-07-2010, 08:54 PM
Posting again to say how happy I was with UCLA. L & D nurses were excellent. Many PP nurses were quite good as well. My doc was fantastic.

I paid extra for a private room and wound up with food from a different kitchen! It was quite good.

For breastfeeding assistance, I HIGHLY recommend "The Pump Station" in Santa Monica. One of LC/owners there literally saved my sanity after Jack was born. We still send her holiday cards each year!

Tondi G
03-09-2010, 02:08 AM
Posting again to say how happy I was with UCLA. L & D nurses were excellent. Many PP nurses were quite good as well. My doc was fantastic.

I paid extra for a private room and wound up with food from a different kitchen! It was quite good.

For breastfeeding assistance, I HIGHLY recommend "The Pump Station" in Santa Monica. One of LC/owners there literally saved my sanity after Jack was born. We still send her holiday cards each year!

Lisa... does Dr Lu have privileges/deliver at UCLA and Cedars? If so I think he is my neighbors OB.

I also wanted to second the recommendation for The Pump Station. They are fantastic! I saw Corky after the birth of my first child and realized that her DD and I were friends in Jr High School (small world). Everyone there is wonderful and they have some great stuff in the store! I understand their classes are great too. The Santa Monica location is the original but they have a Hollywood location now as well.

http://www.pumpstation.com/pumpstation/

brgnmom
03-09-2010, 02:26 PM
Hi everyone,
Thank you so much for all your advice & OB recommendations. I really appreciate your feedback. :love-retry: Sorry it's taken me awhile to go through your posts and finally respond. I've been in major hibernation mode and I've been experiencing nausea that I almost forgot about from my pregnancy with my DS.

I feel better now about moving to LA--it seems like there is a wealth of resources there as far as great OBs/hospitals & I'm glad to see that there are many BBB members in SoCal. Thank you again! :wavey:

AnnieW625
03-09-2010, 02:59 PM
http://www.pumpstation.com/pumpstation/

Just want to say that I have heard wonderful things about the Pump Station and I plan to visit sometime in the next couple of weeks. A friend of mine went with her first and loved it. I usually dread driving to LA, but I wouldn't mind taking a trip to go there.

brgnmom
03-09-2010, 03:08 PM
Just want to say that I have heard wonderful things about the Pump Station and I plan to visit sometime in the next couple of weeks. A friend of mine went with her first and loved it. I usually dread driving to LA, but I wouldn't mind taking a trip to go there.

ooh sweet, I'll need to check out the Pump Station. Are you in the Pasadena area? we still need to find a place, but we know that we'll be around the west LA area due to my DH's future job.