PDA

View Full Version : Trader Joes is a joke!

arivecchi
03-07-2010, 12:50 PM
Organic milk $6! Maple syrup $18! I walked in and walked out. No way that place is cheaper than a regular grocery store! Now I really don't see what the fuss is about.

infomama
03-07-2010, 12:53 PM
That milk is overpriced but pure maple syrup doesn't come cheap.

SnuggleBuggles
03-07-2010, 12:56 PM
I always wait for a sale on the syrup- once I got it there for $7. But, $17 is a legitimate grocery store price for that much maple syrup, imo. I don't buy organic milk- I buy their store brand stuff. It is hormone free and that's what I aim for. You missed out on a lot of really awesome products. Just look up past TJ threads and you will see that there are a lot of good, yummy deals to be had. For basics it is the same price or cheaper than the mainstream grocery store (sometimes a smidge more) but better quailty in that the ingredient lists are shorter and more natural (rarely have I seen anything with HFCS or PHOs).

Beth

wellyes
03-07-2010, 12:57 PM
Not cheaper vs mainstream stuff, just cheaper vs buying from the natural/organic aisle at the grocery store.

SnuggleBuggles
03-07-2010, 01:00 PM
I don't know, even compared to conventional grocery store items they still come out on top for me. Like their OJ is $.50-1.00 cheaper than Tropicana. If you compare store brands at TJs vs a conventional grocery store then the regular store might win. But, if you are buying brand name products at the regular grocery store I think that it's cheaper even than those.

Beth

TwinFoxes
03-07-2010, 01:06 PM
There are definitely things I buy at TJs that I know are cheaper. McCann's Oatmeal, frozen waffles, lunch meat (I don't know if it's cheaper than "regular" lunch meat, but it's cheaper than other stores' nitrite/nitrate free stuff which is what I buy), cereal, and frozen veggies. Also cereal bars. And wine. :)

I think pure maple syrup is really expensive in general. That's why most people buy "pancake" syrup. I had to buy pure maple syrup for a recipe, and TJs was the cheapest (I bought a small $6 bottle).

We used to donate to a women & children's shelter in LA, and they specifically requested TJ gift cards for their clients because the prices were good. I don't know if Chicago TJs are maybe just more expensive? Really, we're not all insane! ;)

Globetrotter
03-07-2010, 01:07 PM
I find it's a much better deal than Safeway, for similar items, and on top of that it's better for you (most of the time). You should go back and forego those pricey items, or better yet if you are concerned, find out how much the same product costs in your usual grocery store.

I've gotten to the point that I cringe when I see mainstream grocery prices!

egoldber
03-07-2010, 01:09 PM
I buy the house brand milk at TJ because it is hormone and antibiotic free. But organic milk at my regular grocery store is also $6 a gallon.

I think pure maple syrup is really expensive in general. That's why most people buy "pancake" syrup. I had to buy pure maple syrup for a recipe, and TJs was the cheapest (I bought a small $6 bottle).

The syrup we buy there is not $18. I think we buy what the PP buys. The small bottle lasts us several months.

g-mama
03-07-2010, 01:09 PM
I think pure maple syrup is really expensive in general. That's why most people buy "pancake" syrup.

And in my case, will continue to. Wow!! $18/bottle?? Madness, I tell ya.

TwinFoxes
03-07-2010, 01:13 PM
I bet this thread is going to set a record for the most posts on a non-political topic! :)

SnuggleBuggles
03-07-2010, 01:15 PM
I've gotten to the point that I cringe when I see mainstream grocery prices!

:yeahthat: When we had that snow back in Feb. I went to the regular grocery store b/c it was closer/ easier to get to. I was so bothered by the prices and ingredient lists.

Beth

elektra
03-07-2010, 01:31 PM
Now I really don't see what the fuss is about.

Blasphemy! ;)
Well you tried it out, and maybe the stuff you would buy there is more expensive. I do agree that I can find meat and milk cheaper. I actually get my milk delivered from a local dairy.
But seriously, the bread, and so much other stuff I get there is cheaper AND better. And many of the items don't contain the artificial ingredients that the regular grocery store items do.
DH is actually at TJ's right now stocking up for the week.

TwinFoxes
03-07-2010, 01:34 PM
Blasphemy! ;)
Well you tried it out, and maybe the stuff you would buy there is more expensive. I do agree that I can find meat and milk cheaper. I actually get my milk delivered from a local dairy.
But seriously, the bread, and so much other stuff I get there is cheaper AND better. And many of the items don't contain the artificial ingredients that the regular grocery store items do.

Excuse me, don't you have a red carpet to walk?

elektra
03-07-2010, 01:38 PM

off to my hair lady's house in 15 minutes! ;)
Gotta get my fix in before I go though! Not sure how much I'll be able to check in throughout the day. ;)

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
03-07-2010, 01:38 PM
Blasphemy!

lchang25000
03-07-2010, 01:43 PM
Wow...that's ridiculously expensive IMO also. What wrong with regular milk from cows that aren't treated with antibiotics/hormones? I'm sure that's what most of us grew up with. That must be one HUGE container of maple syrup for $18! I do like Trader Joe's for other things including salsa, wine/beer, desserts, salads, and some stuff in their frozen section.

o_mom
03-07-2010, 01:59 PM
Blasphemy! ;)

:yeahthat:

I haven't seen organic milk for less than that price and I know many people were looking for cheaper maple syrup on the pancake thread.

Most of the stuff we get there is stuff that I can't buy at the grocery without HFCS or dyes. Chocolate pudding, for example, all has red dye in it at the regular grocery. Same with BBQ sauce, cereal bars, cookies, etc., they all have HFCS. The TJs prices are much better than WF on similar items and the same or cheaper than the grocery without the artificial stuff.

Nuts are the other thing we get there - they are much cheaper than the grocery with a better selection.

c&j04
03-07-2010, 01:59 PM
My closest TJ's is 2 hrs so not a normal stop at all but I was amazed at some prices! Dried apricots and pecans for example. Much cheaper than Walmart which I was raised to avoid. So we get a few random things when we pass one.

giavila
03-07-2010, 02:12 PM
Wow.. I :heartbeat: Trader Joes. Anytime I go somewhere else I always end up spending way more.

JTsMom
03-07-2010, 02:32 PM
It really depends on what you're buying. I don't buy milk there b/c I can get our store brand organic locally for $5.69- not a huge savings, but it's something. Plus, it goes on sale for $5 sometimes. I don't care much for their meat either- the types I've bought don't compare quality-wise, and I'm picky about that stuff.

Things I do buy- Midnight Moo, TJ's applesauce (the individual cups- DS loves the berry one), some cereals, frozen stuff- better quality/ingredients than convential imo, which I won't buy, frozen veggies, orgnic coffee (HUGE can for $12), dishwasher and dish soap, nuts, HFCS-free rootbeer for DH, and the $2.50 Chuck (cheapy wine- taste is close to a $12/bottle type). They also have decent prices on cheese (hormone free).

I really like the things I do buy there, but there are quite a few things I won't. I really prefer WFs.

JTsMom
03-07-2010, 02:32 PM
LOL, I thought the same thing!! And don't come back without pics!!!

sewarsh
03-07-2010, 02:33 PM
I also :heartbeat: TJs.

dhano923
03-07-2010, 02:37 PM
Organic milk $6! Maple syrup $18! I walked in and walked out. No way that place is cheaper than a regular grocery store! Now I really don't see what the fuss is about.

I do most of my shopping at TJs. They are the cheapest place to buy milk around here, other than Costco. As for maple syrup, it comes in different grades. The $18 is the top of the line, premium syrup. We buy the cheaper Vermont syrup for $8. Did you look at the frozen veggies? Frozen ethnic meals? Dried fruits and nuts? Those are some of the things my regular grocery store can't compare on. Even if the price is the same, the TJ one is usually preservative free with less additives.

niccig
03-07-2010, 02:37 PM
Wow...that's ridiculously expensive IMO also. What wrong with regular milk from cows that aren't treated with antibiotics/hormones? I'm sure that's what most of us grew up with. That must be one HUGE container of maple syrup for $18! I do like Trader Joe's for other things including salsa, wine/beer, desserts, salads, and some stuff in their frozen section.

Organic milk, at any store is about $6 a gallon. TJs hormone/antibotic free is not $6 a gallon. I think it's maybe $3. Yes, conventional milk at the grocery store is still cheaper. $16 for maple syrup is for a 32 oz bottle - that is a lot of syrup, and maple syrup is very expensive, so it's not the best comparision.

I find TJ's to be cheaper for many things. Eg. Kashi Go Lean cereal is cheaper there than the grocery store, except if the grocery store is on sale. TJ's O's are cheaper than Cheerios. I can get yoghurt like Greek Yoghurt at TJs that my grocery store doesn't even carry, and I'm in large metro area. The Greek yoghurt is much better for you than any of the yoplait/Danone yoghurts as it's doesn't have as much sugar or fructose or corn syrup in it. TJ's whole grain pasta is cheaper than the equivalent at the grocery store. They have the cheapest freeze dried strawberries, dried fruit and nuts.

I think it all comes down to the type of food you want to eat. TJs has many natural healthy products that are cheaper than a natural food store. Plus it has some specialty items that you can only get there. WF's and natural food stores have similar items, but more expensive. The conventional store doesn't have as many healthy items and they are generally more expensive.

I also feel that as a society we want cheap food. But for it to be cheap, it's full of salt, sugar, fat, processed ingredients like trans fat and corn syrup. Yes, it might be cheap to buy, but the health ramifications aren't cheap. DH has 2 months to get his cholesterol/triglycerides down, or he has to go on Lipitor and another drug for the triglycerides - a life time on those 2 drugs is more expensive than bread made without corn syrup.

vludmilla
03-07-2010, 03:04 PM
I also buy the non organic milk at TJ's and it is a great price...better than my grocery store. The organic milk at my regular grocery store is also $6, just like TJ's. I think the prices on organic and more natural foods is much better than the regular prices at a big supermarket. I also love that I can get HFCS free foods and interesting ethnic foods for a good price. Try finding a tasty naan for $2 at a supermarket or super tasty frozen corn for $1.20.

arivecchi
03-07-2010, 03:07 PM
I am not going back.

1) Their prices almost gave me a heart attack.

2) I could not find 1/2 of the things I normally buy.

3) The layout of the store was a nightmare.

4) The place looked like a store from the 70s.

5) The parking was a nightmare.

Maybe the TJs in Chicago are way more expensive than elsewhere. I don't know. DS1 said "Mom, where are we?" We left right after that!

niccig
03-07-2010, 03:11 PM

This may be the problem. What do you normally buy?

o_mom
03-07-2010, 03:23 PM
I am not going back.

1) Their prices almost gave me a heart attack.

3) The layout of the store was a nightmare.

4) The place looked like a store from the 70s.

5) The parking was a nightmare.

Maybe the TJs in Chicago are way more expensive than elsewhere. I don't know. DS1 said "Mom, where are we?" We left right after that!

LOL - the layout, etc. are all something that it takes getting used to.

Depending on what you buy, there are things that can be pricey, but they usually are cheaper or no more expensive than comparable products at other stores (organic to organic, etc.). There is stuff that isn't any cheaper - usually the name brand products. Most of the 'deals' I find are their private label stuff.

I don't go to TJs for all my shopping, but just for a select set of products that we have found to be a good value compared to grocery stores or that are not even available outside of WF, such as HFCS-free products. If the differences aren't important to you or are readily available at your regular store, then there isn't going to be much point in going. Oh... and I won't go near the place on a weekend for the parking/crowds.

JamiMac
03-07-2010, 03:28 PM
I love, love Trader Joes and miss it terribly! I found most things to be cheaper than the local chain grocery stores. Organic milk almost anywhere here is $6 gallon. My local San Clemente store was very charming, but what in San Clemente is not? Sigh. I miss it.

kijip
03-07-2010, 03:33 PM
I think here the TJs organic milk is about $1 less a gallon than I what I pay. But since we don't often go to TJs, I just pay the extra where I do shop. It was $5.29 at TJs here, but over $6 most other places.

They do have the best caesar dressing ever for $2.99 a bottle.

Their cheeses are WAY cheaper than the regular grocery store- brie, port salut and goat cheese there are all so much less that if I am having a party, I go there just to get stuff for the party. And the $3 Chuck is the best deal in town for table wine.

You are not going to find many name brands at TJs, it's just not that kind of store. It's not a regular grocery store that buys from UG, they do most of their own distribution (if not all?)

arivecchi
03-07-2010, 03:51 PM
LOL - the layout, etc. are all something that it takes getting used to.

Depending on what you buy, there are things that can be pricey, but they usually are cheaper or no more expensive than comparable products at other stores (organic to organic, etc.). There is stuff that isn't any cheaper - usually the name brand products. Most of the 'deals' I find are their private label stuff.

I don't go to TJs for all my shopping, but just for a select set of products that we have found to be a good value compared to grocery stores or that are not even available outside of WF, such as HFCS-free products. If the differences aren't important to you or are readily available at your regular store, then there isn't going to be much point in going. Oh... and I won't go near the place on a weekend for the parking/crowds. Gotcha. I can only go to one store to get my groceries and it has to be on the weekend as I work FT during the week.

I mostly buy fruit, frozen veggies (could not find this at TJs - they only had some very strange veggies), turkey meatballs, veggie sausages, whole and fat free milk, V-8 juice for DS1, coffee, cereal, oatmeal, syrup, pancake mix, rice pudding, tons of yogurt (they only had individual ones and 2 packs for kids that were tiny in size), cheese & lunch meat for sandwiches, soy milk, chicken, etc. I just like certain brands and like you all mentioned they have their own brands. I just don't have the time to start over and figure out the brands and products they carry. Their fruit seemed really overpriced as well. The one near me seemed like a disorganized and dingy looking WF to me. I was so hoping this would be the answer to my grocery-shopping prayers!

sariana
03-07-2010, 03:57 PM
FWIW, I've been to Trader Joe's only a couple of times, in two different states, and I never was impressed. We have one only 2 miles away, right by our Target, but I just never go there.

$6 for a gallon of milk?!? I buy milk for about $2.25/gallon, either at Costco or the grocery store. I think most milk around here (CA) is hormone-free.

I also buy real maple syrup at the grocery store, and it is not THAT expensive. We don't use it very often, so a small bottle lasts a long time. But the prices I've seen quoted in this thread sound ridiculous to me.

So I guess I'm a blasphemor, too.

kijip
03-07-2010, 04:00 PM
I also buy real maple syrup at the grocery store, and it is not THAT expensive. We don't use it very often, so a small bottle lasts a long time. But the prices I've seen quoted in this thread sound ridiculous to me.

The maple syrup at our TJs or Costco is about 2x as much in price...but you get 4-6 times as much syrup. The small bottles at the grocery store are like "only" $7-8 but it's for a tiny bottle.

o_mom
03-07-2010, 04:02 PM
Gotcha. I can only go to one store to get my groceries and it has to be on the weekend as I work FT during the week.

I mostly buy fruit, frozen veggies (could not find this at TJs - they only had some very strange veggies), turkey meatballs, veggie sausages, whole and fat free milk, V-8 juice for DS1, coffee, cereal, oatmeal, syrup, pancake mix, rice pudding, tons of yogurt (they only had individual ones and 2 packs for kids that were tiny in size), cheese & lunch meat for sandwiches, soy milk, chicken, etc. I just like certain brands and like you all mentioned they have their own brands. I just don't have the time to start over and figure out the brands and products they carry. Their fruit seemed really overpriced as well. The one near me seemed like a disorganized and dingy looking WF to me. I was so hoping this would be the answer to my grocery-shopping prayers!

Yes - this would not be a situation where I would suggest TJs. :)

graciebellesmomma
03-07-2010, 04:05 PM
sorry, double post.

graciebellesmomma
03-07-2010, 04:06 PM
That's too bad. They have the most amazing veggies. We love their peas, corn, broccoli, and their mixed bags of veggies, as well. Their turkey meatballs are the best that I've ever tasted. We are addicted to them. They have a delicious frozen steelcut oatmeal, their yogurt and greek yogurt rock and are cheaper than most stores. Their cheese is fantastic and half the price of Safeway.

In regards to lunch meat, I am not a fan of their lunch meat. We get ours at the Safeway deli. Their fresh fruits and veggies are fantastic, too. Their breads, pastas and pasta sauce rock the casbah and are CHEAP.

Their appetizers, dips, frozen meals, etc. are cheaper and better than anywhere else that I've ever shopped at. I am a TJ junkie. When we lived in Maui it was torture not having one. I actually would fill a suitcase every time that we came back to Cali. I'd fill it with simmering sauces, pasta, pasta sauces, crackers, cookies, etc.

I've been to TJs in the suburbs of Chicago and Chicago proper. Prices are pretty much the same all around the country. You just have to know what your looking for and shopping for. I'd say go alone. Wander around. Pick a few things and try them out.
Or not.....lol

Oh, how I wish that I lived close to you and I'd grab a bag of my basic TJ stuff and come over and make you some easy-peasy, yummy dishes! You'd totally be converted. It really is a great store if you take the time. Once you take the time, it becomes second nature.

They also have a 6 page sheet of their gluten free products, which is amazing for gluten free eaters.

It does take a couple of visits to figure out the store, but it's so worth it.

I'm going to shut up now.[/QUOTE]

o_mom
03-07-2010, 04:06 PM
FWIW, I've been to Trader Joe's only a couple of times, in two different states, and I never was impressed. We have one only 2 miles away, right by our Target, but I just never go there.

$6 for a gallon of milk?!? I buy milk for about $2.25/gallon, either at Costco or the grocery store. I think most milk around here (CA) is hormone-free.

So I guess I'm a blasphemor, too.

The $6/gallon is for organic milk. You really can't compare the price of conventional milk (even hormone-free) to say it is over-priced. The people who have chimed in with organic milk prices have said that $5-6/gallon is normal.

The $18 bottle of syrup is 32 oz of the higher grade stuff, IIRC - much bigger than a small bottle from the supermarket. You can't really compare the price unless you know the size of the bottle AND the grade of syrup.

sariana
03-07-2010, 04:09 PM
The $18 bottle of syrup is 32 oz of the higher grade stuff, IIRC - much bigger than a small bottle from the supermarket. You can't really compare the price unless you know the size of the bottle AND the grade of syrup.

We wouldn't be able to store a bottle that large for the ten years it would take us to finish it! I guess I just don't think we deserve higher grade maple syrup. :D

Just curious: Why do people buy organic milk?

kayte
03-07-2010, 04:14 PM
Organic milk $6!

Organic Milk at our Walmart is $6 and some change.

Nicsmom
03-07-2010, 04:15 PM
This is how much I love TJ: DH is being offered a great job in Texas and I don't want him to take it because there is no TJ there. I'm serious.

Have you tried their Opera Cake? It is crazy good. All their desserts are to die for, but the Opera Cake is AMAZING.

kayte
03-07-2010, 04:18 PM

I believe most people who prefer it to anitbiotic/hormone free do so because of the cow's diet (so no more corn or soy feed) which is a consequence to their ability to be in the pasture.

kayte
03-07-2010, 04:24 PM
This is how much I love TJ: DH is being offered a great job in Texas and I don't want him to take it because there is no TJ there. I'm serious.

Yes, but we have Central Market. You'll get over it quick. We had TJ's in Cincinnati, Central Market filled the void easily.

http://www.centralmarket.com/

SnuggleBuggles
03-07-2010, 04:26 PM
I remember being a teenager and visiting my family in CA/. They took me to TJs and I just wanted to get out of there. I saw no brands I knew, nothing I recognized and was totally uncomfortable. I was unwilling to try anything there. I can almost recognize how you felt today. I think if you can go with an open mind that you really should give it another try. I'm glad I went back.

Beth

mctlaw
03-07-2010, 04:29 PM
Gotcha. I can only go to one store to get my groceries and it has to be on the weekend as I work FT during the week.

Arivecchi- I live in the Chicago area but shop at the TJ's in the northern suburbs. I work FT so I only get there about every 6 weeks or so. For what you are looking for, the best bargains I have found are coffee (more expensive than Folgers type brands, but way cheaper than any other good quality whole bean coffee), cereal, frozen fish, and frozen prepackage type meals (we are mostly veggie and there are several great frozen meals that are knockoffs of the Amy's brand but are just as tasty). Also-you mentioned you buy veggie sausage-my TJs carries the Morningstar Farms brand of veggie sausage, and it is a full dollar cheaper than the grocery store price. Fage greek yogurt is also nearly a dollar cheaper than at WF.

Just some suggestions if you do decide to go back. :)

SnuggleBuggles
03-07-2010, 04:31 PM

That's all there. I admit that I don't buy produce there unless really desperate and know I won't be getting to another store soon. You won't have your normal brands but we are too young to not try other brands. ;) It's almost easier to shop at TJs because there aren't a plethora of choices. You want salsa? You buy the 1 flavor they have. There aren't 10 brands sitting there ready to confuse you. :) I adore that TJs is smaller than the regular grocery store. I can get in and out fast and get what I want.

Branch out, try new brands- you might like them.

Beth

AnnieW625
03-07-2010, 04:32 PM
Blasphemy! ;)

This is us too, we get our milk delivered from a local dairy too so I don't buy organic milk either (we get hormone free milk; but even if I did want organic it would be $6 a gallon through the milk delivery service), but I have noticed that it's exactly the same price at the regular supermarket. The only place I have noticed that organic milk is cheaper is Costco (I think three half gallons is $6), but I am not going to go to Costco for organic milk every week.

buddyleebaby
03-07-2010, 04:59 PM
I had the a similar experience when I went to a new TJ's in NYC. I was so excited to try it.
When I shop, I buy fresh fruits and vegetables, a tiny amount of meat (usually chicken), beans, rice or pasta, cheese, sometimes yogurt, milk, and bread. TJ's seemed to have a lot of prepackaged/pre-made meals with healthier ingredients than what you would find at a typical grocery, but I don't buy premade meals to begin with. The meat was more expensive. The milk was about the same as my local grocery. The produce was much more expensive and honestly didn't look all that great.
I left with a couple of snack type things that looked good and that's it, and I considered those a splurge.

khm
03-07-2010, 04:59 PM
I so miss Trader Joes. I'd be in heaven if one moved in here.

When we went, things that were tons cheaper were cereals, crackers, chips etc. I assume it is because they were "no name" brands with no advertising tacking onto the prices. They had a ton of happy little frozen snacks (taquitos, mini tacos, etc) that weren't exactly health food ;) but were sooooo yummy.

I also remember frozen desserts, fantastic cheeses and different sauces. Frozen fruits too (I use a ton for smoothies).

I do think it is a different type of store without the big brands we are all so used to, but I got used to their cheapo prices and remember being shocked how expensive cereals and crackers were at the regular grocery.

Sigh. Now I'm all nostalgic for a grocery store. ;)

Ceepa
03-07-2010, 05:29 PM
I had the a similar experience when I went to a new TJ's in NYC. I was so excited to try it.
When I shop, I buy fresh fruits and vegetables, a tiny amount of meat (usually chicken), beans, rice or pasta, cheese, sometimes yogurt, milk, and bread. TJ's seemed to have a lot of prepackaged/pre-made meals with healthier ingredients than what you would find at a typical grocery, but I don't buy premade meals to begin with. The meat was more expensive. The milk was about the same as my local grocery. The produce was much more expensive and honestly didn't look all that great.
I left with a couple of snack type things that looked good and that's it, and I considered those a splurge.

This was me. I walked in all twitchy with excitement and was disappointed. There have been a lot of recommendation threads over the years and a lot of the items (prepackaged or differently flavored) just don't appeal to my family. I've heard the produce wasn't that great and it wasn't.

If TJs works for your family that's great and I'm glad there's an alternative for you. It didn't work out for us. DH is grilling meat from the farmer's market right now! Yuuummmm.

jamesmom
03-07-2010, 05:44 PM
Haven't read all the posts, but I think TJ prices are great for what you get, which is more pure product and less or no preservatives and food coloring. The stuff we get there also tastes great!! We shop there a lot because we follow the Feingold Diet.

IMHO, you should give it another shot :)

mom_hanna
03-07-2010, 05:49 PM
I like TJ's and wish we had one here, but I have to say that I will not buy bakery items (we have bought bread, opened it, and found it moldy, or it spoils within a day or two), and we don't like the $3 Chuck at all.

SnuggleBuggles
03-07-2010, 05:53 PM
I've only had one bakery miss in the years I have been going to TJ's. I would bring it up with the manager b/c that's not good at all.

It does go "bad" sooner but that's because it doesn't have near as many fillers and preservatives.

I usually just buy something like challah that I am going to use for a meal there and buy sandwich bread at Target (the Archer Farms is PHO and HFCS free in some varieties).

Beth

niccig
03-07-2010, 06:12 PM

I buy a lot of what you what you want at TJs, but it is not the same brands. If you're very brand loyal then it won't work. I have found that TJs brands have less of what I call chemical food in them. Eg. non fat yoghurt eg. yoplait or danone has about 10 ingredients including fructose or corn syrup in it. TJs has 3 or 4 ingredients and no corn syrup. The better nutritional value is the TJ's yoghurt. And I think it is cheaper. Their small cups of kids yoghurt was $1 cheaper than the grocery store version of yobaby. Yes, the brightly purple coloured kids yogurt might be cheaper still, but I'm not feeding DS high fructose corn syrup. I've decided to spend a little more on our groceries to get higher quality simpler food. Why does yoghurt need 10+ ingredients, most of which I can't even pronounce, let alone know what they are???

Now that I know the brands I like at TJs, I shop very quickly. I mostly shop at TJs with an occasional run to the grocery store ever 2nd week or so.

wellyes
03-07-2010, 06:16 PM
TJ's has some great gluten-free bakery items, we go just for their French Rolls. They also have some delicious (though sodium-packed) frozen meals which are tasty. I really like the one with polenta, spinach and peas in a cream sauce. Gluen free vegetarian nirvana.

Cause the cows have to be fed organic feed - meaning no pesticides. And they have to have access to pasture, which makes milk taste good :). And no bovine growth hormone which the FDA says is safe but I'm skeptical (some argue it makes kids experience puberty sooner).

arivecchi
03-07-2010, 06:24 PM
I've been to TJs in the suburbs of Chicago and Chicago proper. Prices are pretty much the same all around the country. You just have to know what your looking for and shopping for. I'd say go alone. Wander around. Pick a few things and try them out.
Or not.....lol

Oh, how I wish that I lived close to you and I'd grab a bag of my basic TJ stuff and come over and make you some easy-peasy, yummy dishes! You'd totally be converted. It really is a great store if you take the time. Once you take the time, it becomes second nature.
LOL! Yes, I think I need a tour guide for that place if I ever go again! I was so out of my element. Still, no organic milk purchases here. I just refuse to pay $6 for a gallon of milk.

Also, it's not that I am brand loyal. It's just that I don't have to complement my shopping with other stores, so I cannot go to TJs if it does not have everything I need. I also feel like I need a tour guide just to navigate their parking. That parking was a hot mess.

Nooknookmom
03-07-2010, 06:33 PM
I'm the queen of cheap when it comes to groceries and it REALLY depends what you go in for=how much you spend.

I don't buy organic milk. I buy lactose free, my local grocery store brand. No $6 milk here. I use sugar-free syrups, so I wouldn't be buying $$$ maple anyway.

I can however, go into TJ's and get 3 days worth of breakfast, lunch and dinner for my family of 4 and spend on average $60 (give or take 5 bucks). If I were to do that at Vons/Albertsons my final cost would be between $80-$100.

There are things I can't get there like soda, dog food, baby items and certain products that we like that they don't carry.

However, **on the average** I can whittle down my bill by strategically purchasing things at TJ's.

JTsMom
03-07-2010, 06:35 PM
Just had to throw in a few more things- weekends are awful, I would never do all, or even the majority of my shopping there, and how nice the store is definitely depends on luck- some are fabulous, some look gross and run-down. If you go back, do it when you just have some time to kill and feel adventurous. Try a couple of the highly rec'd things, and I'll bet we'll convert you..... or else. :30: :rotflmao:

trales
03-07-2010, 06:43 PM
We pay $55 per gallon for pure maple syrup from a sugar shack a block from our house. The TJ's price is great.

The beer and wine a great prices. The cheese prices are outstanding.

I easily spend 250, when I go every 6-8 weeks.

arivecchi
03-07-2010, 06:48 PM
I buy a lot of what you what you want at TJs, but it is not the same brands. If you're very brand loyal then it won't work. I have found that TJs brands have less of what I call chemical food in them. Eg. non fat yoghurt eg. yoplait or danone has about 10 ingredients including fructose or corn syrup in it. TJs has 3 or 4 ingredients and no corn syrup. The better nutritional value is the TJ's yoghurt. And I think it is cheaper. Their small cups of kids yoghurt was $1 cheaper than the grocery store version of yobaby. Yes, the brightly purple coloured kids yogurt might be cheaper still, but I'm not feeding DS high fructose corn syrup. I've decided to spend a little more on our groceries to get higher quality simpler food. Why does yoghurt need 10+ ingredients, most of which I can't even pronounce, let alone know what they are???

Now that I know the brands I like at TJs, I shop very quickly. I mostly shop at TJs with an occasional run to the grocery store ever 2nd week or so. Nicci, maybe you need to be my tour guide. ;)

arivecchi
03-07-2010, 06:49 PM
Just had to throw in a few more things- weekends are awful, I would never do all, or even the majority of my shopping there, and how nice the store is definitely depends on luck- some are fabulous, some look gross and run-down. If you go back, do it when you just have some time to kill and feel adventurous. Try a couple of the highly rec'd things, and I'll bet we'll convert you..... or else. :30: :rotflmao::hysterical: Wow, you guys are attached to your TJs. I did not think this would be such a hot topic!

pastrygirl
03-07-2010, 06:51 PM
It's just that I don't have to complement my shopping with other stores, so I cannot go to TJs if it does not have everything I need. I also feel like I need a tour guide just to navigate their parking. That parking was a hot mess.I love TJ's, but could never shop there as my only grocery store. I like it for snacks and other things like that. I do love their huge jug of maple syrup -- it's definitely cheaper than the grocery stores around here. I go through maybe 3 or 4 of those jugs a year.

kijip
03-07-2010, 06:52 PM
We wouldn't be able to store a bottle that large for the ten years it would take us to finish it! I guess I just don't think we deserve higher grade maple syrup. :D

We eat pancakes/french toast/waffles 2+ times a week and oatmeal 2-3 times a week, so syrup is our best friend. We usually finish a 32 ounce bottle in a 2-3 months.

MMMommy
03-07-2010, 06:53 PM
I love TJ's, but for me, it complements my shopping trips to the regular supermarket (Safeway, Lucky's). I usually buy fruit and meat at the regular supermarket. I buy a good variety of snack items (crackers, chips), cheeses, specialty items, international items, desserts, salad mix, and bagged veggies at TJ's. I buy certain staples at TJ's also--butter, yogurt, certain other fruits (like bags of smaller whole apples for the kids).

I think TJ's combined with my regular supermarket, makes my grocery shopping complete.

kijip
03-07-2010, 06:56 PM
One other thing that is nice there: frozen naan bread for $1.99 a 4 pack. When having a curry mid-week, it's nice to have hot naan with it in a few minutes.

DebbieJ
03-07-2010, 07:11 PM
which location did you go to?

michellerw
03-07-2010, 07:15 PM
I sympathize about the parking situation at your TJ's. The parking at mine makes me want to own a handgun (and I am pro gun control). It is just so nightmarish -- and we're in the suburbs!

That said, I go to TJ's about once a month and STOCK UP and then shop at Safeway the rest of the time. There are some things TJ's does great (frozen green beans, their home brand of Greek yogurt, steel cut oats) but other things that we just need to go to Safeway or the warehouse store for, so DH and I have figured out how to make the routine work for us. I find that TJ's produce doesn't meet our needs either, but we eat a fair amount of fresh veg.

JTsMom
03-07-2010, 07:16 PM
:hysterical: Wow, you guys are attached to your TJs. I did not think this would be such a hot topic!
No kidding! 60 posts on a Sunday?!? I could post that I just had sextuplets and it wouldn't get 60 posts on a Sunday.

Katigre
03-07-2010, 07:19 PM
One thing I love about TJ's (besides the healthy convenience foods and snacks) is the customer service - the employees are genuinely friendly and conversational. THey talk with my kids and myself. And I usually get asked "Would you like some help outside?" and they push my car out and load the groceries into the trunk while I get the kids buckled in. LOVE LOVE LOVE that they do that cheerfully.

DS enjoys pushing his own little cart and finding the stuffed Turtle so he can get a prize.

And in so many areas, the quality of the food is so much better. Take trail mixes. We've been eating a few TJ's trail mixes as snacks each week for a year or two. Target had a sale on their trail mixes so I picked some up - and DH and I thought they were so disgusting, we spit them back out and returned them. The dried fruit and nuts just were terrible compared to the quality of TJ's and the dollar or two more they cost is worth it to us for the quality trade-off. (DH and I are sort of food snobs though ;)).

bubbaray
03-07-2010, 07:20 PM

Because it is legal in the US to give growth hormones to dairy cattle. Along with antibiotics.

When we travel in the US, we try to buy organic milk for that reason. Here in Canada, we buy regular milk as growth hormones for dairy cattle are not legal here (though antibiotics are).

bubbaray
03-07-2010, 07:24 PM
I too don't get the whoopla about TJs. I like some things there (Sunflower seed butter primarily, the Tea Tree Tingle shampoo & conditioner). Most of their dry goods are x-contaminated with peanuts/tree nuts, so I can't buy those. Plus, like the OP, I have particular brands I like and the TJs we go to normally (Bellingham WA) does not have anything other than TJs house brands it seems. We can't take produce or meat across the border, but have purchased those things at TJs when we are in the US RVg. Its OK, not stuff I would make a special trip for though.

Now, Whole Foods -- that is sticker shock. However, the selection is far better and worth the trip (and we have WF locally too).

I think I'm spoiled by the healthy/organic choices in my regular grocery store and at specialty grocery stores here.

o_mom
03-07-2010, 07:49 PM
Because it is legal in the US to give growth hormones to dairy cattle. Along with antibiotics.

When we travel in the US, we try to buy organic milk for that reason. Here in Canada, we buy regular milk as growth hormones for dairy cattle are not legal here (though antibiotics are).

Most all the conventional milk around here is labeled 'hormone-free', though I'm sure it varies. The antibiotic use is less clear, but I remember when Petra posted about her parents' farm she said that all the milk is tested and cannot have any traces of antibiotics. No pesticide use, organic feed and pasturing seem to be more defining of organic milk, to me.

I think I'm spoiled by the healthy/organic choices in my regular grocery store and at specialty grocery stores here.

Yes. You are. ;)

Seriously... I needed some sort of salad dressing for a recipe and the regular grocery did not have a single one without HFCS. I couldn't find pudding without colors or BBQ sauce without one or the other or both. There are some things I can find a store brand organic or another 'natural' brand like Annies or Stoneyfield in the regular one, but especially snack foods or anything kid-targeted it is horrible for either there being no option at all or it is way, way more expensive than both the regular product or TJs house brand.

The cross-contamination sucks, though, and makes it tough for FA.

egoldber
03-07-2010, 07:54 PM
Yeah, we don't have FAs to deal with, so not an issue for us. We do the bulk of our shopping at TJ and supplement with the occasional Safeway or Costco run. But we are not brand loyal, do most of our cooking from scratch, and have half a cow in the freezer. ;)

I don't do all organic, but I do organic apples and grapes, apple juice, soymilk, eggs, chicken and beef and hormone and antibiotic free (but not organic) milk. TJ saves us a ton of money on these items.

bubbaray
03-07-2010, 07:56 PM
Most all the conventional milk around here is labeled 'hormone-free', though I'm sure it varies. The antibiotic use is less clear, but I remember when Petra posted about her parents' farm she said that all the milk is tested and cannot have any traces of antibiotics. No pesticide use, organic feed and pasturing seem to be more defining of organic milk, to me.

It must vary by state or something. I've never seen non-organic milk labeled as hormone free in WA or OR or Hawaii, which are the states we travel to most often.

egoldber
03-07-2010, 08:00 PM
I have seen non-organic milk labeled hormone free at TJ ;), Whole Foods (the 365 brand), and Target. I know that some other places have it too, but TJ is very convenient for us. If it weren't so convenient, then we might not shop there as often.

KrisM
03-07-2010, 08:02 PM
It must vary by state or something. I've never seen non-organic milk labeled as hormone free in WA or OR or Hawaii, which are the states we travel to most often.

I think it's gaining popularity, too. Our grocery store brand, Meijer, is labeled hormone free now. I still buy at the local dairy because we think it tastes better. They are not organic and only $3/gallon.

bubbaray
03-07-2010, 08:04 PM
OK, will check the milk at Target -- good to know!

trales
03-07-2010, 08:10 PM
Our local grocery (NH) store brand is both hormone and antibiotic free, I have to have my mom buy organic when we go to Michigan.

I really think it depends on the region.

lchang25000
03-07-2010, 08:18 PM
I buy non-organic no hormone/antiobiotic milk from Target too which makes me think there is no need to buy the "organic" milk and pay the high price.

egoldber
03-07-2010, 08:32 PM
But there are many places where the only way to get hormone free is to buy organic. When I go to visit my mom, that is the only choice. She thinks I'm a freak to spend $4 on a half gallon of milk, but it's important to me. My older DD drinks a lot of milk.

KrisM
03-07-2010, 08:34 PM
Our local grocery (NH) store brand is both hormone and antibiotic free, I have to have my mom buy organic when we go to Michigan.

Where in MI? Like I posted, Meijer brand is hormone free now and is Michigan.

Melaine
03-07-2010, 08:34 PM
Walmart milk is even hormone-free now, but I have not seen it labeled as such. I agree that the hormone free rBST free is becoming more common, although it isn't organic per se.

sariana
03-07-2010, 08:37 PM
Thanks for explaining about the organic milk. Our regular milk is hormone free, so I just didn't see the advantage of organic. I guess not everyone is so lucky.

My uncle has a dairy farm in Ohio. I remember talking with him years ago (like 20) about how he had to keep really careful records of which cows were on antibiotics because they were not allowed to supply milk until they had been off for a certain period of time. I don't know who his customers are, but he is in southern Ohio, near the Kentucky border.

kransden
03-07-2010, 08:39 PM
Good coffee
pita bread
persian cucumbers - yum!
heirloom grape tomatoes
hummus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
cashews
bottled water with sports tops
frozen peas and fruit
triple ginger cookies
evening primrose oil pills - for those days kwim?
Those are my staples and have a great price.

gobadgers
03-07-2010, 08:40 PM
I also feel like I need a tour guide just to navigate their parking. That parking was a hot mess.

It does get silly crowded on the weekend. But there's a good reason. I started my TJ's addiction when I lived in the city (the Lincoln/Grace one), and now in the far north suburbs I drive 25 minutes to get to one!

It is definitely a problem that it is not a 'one-stop shop'. The produce is so-so and they don't claim to have everything under one roof. I'd go for my weekly grocery shopping if they had few more things and slightly better produce. But if they did have it all, the prices probably wouldn't be as good anymore. IMO what they do have is great quality and fantastic prices. It does take some experimentation to find what works and what you like. Personally, I'd start in the wine section and go from there :loveeyes:

arivecchi
03-07-2010, 08:46 PM
I went to the Clybourn one. They even had a guy directing traffic.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
03-07-2010, 08:48 PM
I buy organic milk, because animal fat stores a lot of pesticide, and because the animals are supposed to be treated better. I also buy free range eggs. I am a vegetarian, so the treatment of animals is big issue for me. Most milk here in AZ is Rbst free.

doberbrat
03-07-2010, 08:51 PM
I'll never live where there isnt a TJs. DD1 is allergic to wheat. TJs has a great selection of GF products at great prices. Are they double what "regular" products cost? yes, but it beats Tripple at Whole Foods.

We dont do all of our shopping there - their selection is smaller than a 'regular' grocery. but buy all of our deli meats, most cheese, milk - reg b/c only dh drinks milk and its $1 per 1/2 gal cheaper, salad $1.99 vs $2.99 and all of dd1's food there.

they're organized differently than a traditional store, but that may be due to their smaller size. Sounds like yours was really disorganized though. :(

I'll agree with you on pkg- I've never been to one on the weekend where pkg wasnt crazy!

Nicsmom
03-07-2010, 09:24 PM
Yes, but we have Central Market. You'll get over it quick. We had TJ's in Cincinnati, Central Market filled the void easily.

http://www.centralmarket.com/

Good to know. thanks. I am going to check it out. I'll still miss the Opera Cake though. ;)

maestramommy
03-07-2010, 09:41 PM
That milk is overpriced but pure maple syrup doesn't come cheap.

:yeahthat: $18 (hmm, it's gone up a dollar) for that huge jug IS cheap. At the local grocery chain, a teeny bottle of pure maple syrup is $10.

I think organic milk is pricey no matter where you buy it, although I haven't checked my local chain lately. rbst free is good enough for me!

DrSally
03-07-2010, 09:54 PM
I agree with pp's that the price of organic milk seems in line with other places and that you can only look at the price of maple syrup by looking at the ounces and grade. A big jug is going to be expensive. In general, I think their stuff is cheaper than other places, and there are things you can get there that you can't get elsewhere. But, I don't get all my groceries there, so it's kind of supplementary shopping (like Costco). I totally get not being able to stop multiple places for groceries. I generally get most stuff at SuperTarget while DS is in preschool, and go to the local supermarket, TJ's, and Costco periodically. I also agree about the parking. Parking is crazy on weekends.

MamaSnoo
03-07-2010, 10:45 PM
More heresy---but it is too crowded, it is not a one-stop shop, and in my case it is too far away (25 minute drive).....if there was one closer, I would go sometimes, but in reality, I need to shop in a store that can be a one-stop shop. No time for anything else most weeks.

If I am going to add an extra stop, I am much more likely to hit our famers market, which has great produce (lots of organic too!)

DrSally
03-07-2010, 10:56 PM
Seriously... I needed some sort of salad dressing for a recipe and the regular grocery did not have a single one without HFCS.

I found something out about salad dressings while I was recently looking for a good HFCS/MSG free Ranch for carrot dipping for DS. The refrigerated salad dressings generally do not have MSG/HFCS and they taste much better. They cost more, but we don't use a lot of dressing, so it's worth it. I use Lighthouse and Bolthouse or Marie's.

MamaSnoo
03-07-2010, 11:04 PM
I found something out about salad dressings while I was recently looking for a good HFCS/MSG free Ranch for carrot dipping for DS. The refrigerated salad dressings generally do not have MSG/HFCS and they taste much better. They cost more, but we don't use a lot of dressing, so it's worth it. I use Lighthouse and Bolthouse or Marie's.

Wow...thanks for the tip on the salad dressing!!! We have just been skipping it for the most part.

DrSally
03-07-2010, 11:10 PM
I got a ton of recommendations for Bolthouse yogurt ranch on a prev thread.

2Carol
03-07-2010, 11:24 PM
I can't imagine buying "pancake syrup" it tastes nothing like the real stuff and hello have you looked at the list of ingredients?

With the real stuff you don't need to have your pancakes look like they are an island in the midst of a gooey mess in order to get lots of flavor. It's also amazing drizzled over real vanilla ice cream. YUM.

Oh and in case folks don't know "Grade" on maple syrup has nothing to do with quality - it has to do with color and flavor. The grade A syrup typically comes off early in the season. The flavor is milder, the color is a lighter amber. Grade B is richer darker and has a more intense flavor. Some folks much prefer that robust strength especially for baking. Either is quite good and well worth the money.

It takes 30 gallons of sap to boil down into one gallon of maple syrup. My Costco has Real maple syrup in a 32 oz container for $15 right now. The price fluccuates a little bit. If seen it as low as $14 and up to $17.

With all the interest in additives and artificial colors and bad for you (even if they are "natural" flavors), real maple syrup is one of those no guilt over it being junky kind of treats. Many children have behavior issues that are affected by things in their diet. Nope not "sugar" but quite frequently the things that are found alongside the sugar - corn syrups, colors, preservatives, added artificial flavors and other chemicals.

For us Maple syrup is not just a treat, we also feel good about buying and using it.

MontrealMum
03-07-2010, 11:27 PM

I was having my mom buy organic as well until she showed me her Country Fresh which was labelled hormone-free. Aren't they all across MI?

OP: I hear you about first impressions of TJ's. I was shocked when we went the first time, and I know DH was wondering why I'd dragged him into a place that looked like such a hole in the wall. But I'm really glad we stuck with it - went down every aisle and read everything. We got tons of stuff I never would have been able to get at a regular store down there - things we're used to having here. I do agree, though ,that if you need to do one-store shopping, it might not be the best fit.

jgenie
03-07-2010, 11:33 PM

If you'll be in south Texas you'll have HEB grocery stores - they are great!!! DH & I always visit HEB when we go to Texas because we miss them so much!!!

fivi2
03-08-2010, 12:11 AM
If you'll be in south Texas you'll have HEB grocery stores - they are great!!! DH & I always visit HEB when we go to Texas because we miss them so much!!!

And then you find the giant HEBs combined with Central Market... Best of both worlds! I can get my organics and my Diet Dr Pepper in the same place ;)

Some parts of Texas also have other smaller natural food stores. But I have never been in a TJ's to compare!

salsah
03-08-2010, 01:39 AM
those prices are reasonable. maple syrup is expensive. organic milk is usually around $6/gallon. (we pay more because dh is really particular about the taste of milk and will only drink certain brands.) in general tj's is cheaper. but regardless, i don't think i could live w/o their great products. i love tj's so much i would be willing to pay more for tj's.

caheinz
03-08-2010, 01:47 AM

At least in the 'burbs, this is most definitely not the case.

And TJ's is one of the most friendly places to shop with a kid! My oldest LOVES when i take him there -- they have kid-sized carts, often have find-the-stuffed-animals games, give away freebies like apples and fruit snacks to the kids who find the animal, always offer stickers (usually a long strip of them) at the register -- and the balloons! In fact, this store was known as "The Balloon Store" in our house for a very long time, just because he would always get one to bring home (gratis).

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
03-08-2010, 01:49 AM
Seriously... I needed some sort of salad dressing for a recipe and the regular grocery did not have a single one without HFCS. .

I make salad dressing. I use EVOO, champagne or white wine vinegar (no balsamic anymore due to the lead content), a little agave nectar,dijon mustard, lemon juice. Instead of dijon sometimes I use pureed berries, or orange juice, etc. Seriously it takes a few minutes, and its really easy. The creamy dressing are way worse for you. But when we want creamy I use nonfat Greek yogurt as a base, and make a tzatziki (Greek yogurt, cucumber, dill, S&P) or something similar...

rgors
03-08-2010, 02:13 AM

I live in Portland, OR - moved here two years ago. Every grocery I have been to here has rBST-free non-organic milk. I can generally buy the most basic milk for $1.xx/gallon, or rbst-free non-organic for $2.xx/gallon, or rbst-free organic for $4.xx/gallon.

kransden
03-08-2010, 02:25 AM
Parking - it depends on the TJs. Mine has great parking, the next closest is ok, but the 3rd is a snarled rat nest from H$!!. I would never shop there if I had to put up with it, and I :heartbeat: TJs

dhano923
03-08-2010, 02:29 AM
Still, no organic milk purchases here. I just refuse to pay $6 for a gallon of milk.

They do sell "regular" milk too. I'm in SoCal. and the regular milk is $2.99/gallon, which is cheaper than most of the grocery stores.

I'd give it another chance. It almost sounds like you went in there expecting it be to a knock-your-socks-off grocery store, which it's not. It's a healthier-options-unique-items food store.

I'm also not sure what you mean by they carry strange frozen veggies, unless you think green beans, peas, corn, broccoli and edamame are strange. I buy all those from there. I don't think I've ever seen any unusual frozen veggies there. My kids adore the small TJ yogurts and I love that they don't add any extras to it. Their TJ greek yogurts are also good.

Yes, they don't carry the same items and brands as a mainstream grocery store, but that's what it so great about it. They carry a limited selection of items, so you can get in and get out quickly. I do buy some meat from there (their cornbread stuffed pork chops are yum) but because they are hormone/additive free, they are pricier than grocery store meat. I get most of our meat from Costco. I'm also a WOHM, but I go to TJ's one night after work and then the regular grocery store on the weekend. I do Costco about every 3 weeks or so.

Momit
03-08-2010, 03:45 AM
This thread is really makes me miss TJs! I used to go once a week at lunchtime and keep the cheese, yogurt etc. in the fridge in our office kitchen until it was time to go home. Several people I worked with did the same thing because we all wanted to avoid going there on the weekends.

funda62
03-08-2010, 05:35 AM
I miss TJ's. I never lived near enough to one to do regular shopping but whenever we came close to one we went.

TwinFoxes
03-08-2010, 08:21 AM
I'm also not sure what you mean by they carry strange frozen veggies, unless you think green beans, peas, corn, broccoli and edamame are strange. I buy all those from there. I don't think I've ever seen any unusual frozen veggies there.

I know what she means, there are the bags of veggies with sauces. Like the spicy Szechuan green beans, and other things like that. And succotash, which is a little random, it seems so old fashioned. Also, a lot of people do think edamame is strange. I personally don't, but remember even arugula somehow made it into the political debate in 2008...

But TJs does have regular veggies too. I love their peas, and their green beans. They look and taste fresh. I get pretty much all of my frozen veggies from them. Ooh, one unusual frozen veggie I can't find anywhere else that I love is frozen artichoke hearts. Yum!!!

michellerw
03-08-2010, 10:36 AM
Ooh, one unusual frozen veggie I can't find anywhere else that I love is frozen artichoke hearts. Yum!!!

And avocados! The texture is weird for eating after freezing but fine for guac, etc.

wifecat
03-08-2010, 10:42 AM
Oh how we love Trader Joe's. Between there and Costco we've pretty much stopped going to the regular grocery store. It's not crazy cheaper than the grocery store (except on some items - Joe's O's are 1.99 there and like $4/box for Cheerios at the grocery store), but it IS waaaay cheaper than Whole Foods.

It took us a long time to find the TJ love, though. We've lived near one for 7 years, and only in the last year have we figured out what to buy there that's good value/savings and really started to shop there regularly. Plus they have tofurky sausage, which is amazing and I will pay whatever I have to for it!

arivecchi
03-08-2010, 11:26 AM
I know what she means, there are the bags of veggies with sauces. Like the spicy Szechuan green beans, and other things like that. And succotash, which is a little random, it seems so old fashioned. Also, a lot of people do think edamame is strange. I personally don't, but remember even arugula somehow made it into the political debate in 2008...

Yes, this is what I meant. The kids just like your regular frozen mixed veggies combo. My regular grocery store also has the hormone free milk, so I don't need to go to TJs for that. Maybe if I had a nicer TJs, I'd give it another shot, but the one near me is small, cramped, dingy-looking and way too crowded! At least WF is visually more attractive than my regular grocery store and not quite as hectic as TJs!

AnnieW625
03-08-2010, 11:51 AM
Yes, this is what I meant. The kids just like your regular frozen mixed veggies combo. My regular grocery store also has the hormone free milk, so I don't need to go to TJs for that. Maybe if I had a nicer TJs, I'd give it another shot, but the one near me is small, cramped, dingy-looking and way too crowded! At least WF is visually more attractive than my regular grocery store and not quite as hectic as TJs!

I agree with you 100% on this and I do agree that TJS is missing a basic mixed veggie mix, and most of their take home frozen entrees I can prepare at home for a fraction of the cost so that is kind of irritating and I don't buy them because they are overpriced (but I wouldn't buy them at the regular store or Costco either). Size wise the one near me is new (only 4 yrs old) and is quite bigger than most of the original ones. The original one in South Pasadena, CA feels like it is under 2000 sq. ft. It's litterally not much bigger than a mini mart. The first one I shopped at in Sacaramento (and the only one in the area for a very long time) was that small too. I do prefer the traditional set up of the grocery store too (even though I do get a fair amount of our groceries at TJS) we are getting a Henry's Marketplace (regional chain) 1/2 a mile from us some time this year so I know that once that opens I'll be going there more than TJs because it's much more convenient.

o_mom
03-08-2010, 11:59 AM
I agree with you 100% on this and I do agree that TJS is missing a basic mixed veggie mix, and most of their take home frozen entrees I can prepare at home for a fraction of the cost so that is kind of irritating and I don't buy them because they are overpriced (but I wouldn't buy them at the regular store or Costco either).

Ours carries Organic Foursome mix that we love - corn, peas, carrots and green beans. We also love their green beans and sugar snap peas.

We very rarely get the frozen entrees, but the one that we do is the orange chicken. It comes with two sauce packets which are way more than needed so I use one and then keep the other to make my own orange chicken with later. It isn't something we get a bunch, but every once in awhile need a quick meal.

AnnieW625
03-08-2010, 12:06 PM
Ours carries Organic Foursome mix that we love - corn, peas, carrots and green beans. We also love their green beans and sugar snap peas.

We very rarely get the frozen entrees, but the one that we do is the orange chicken. It comes with two sauce packets which are way more than needed so I use one and then keep the other to make my own orange chicken with later. It isn't something we get a bunch, but every once in awhile need a quick meal.

We've had all that stuff before. I have bought the orange chicken for DH for nights when I know have a meeting or something to go to. It's the most popular seller at our store, but I think it's just okay, same with DH and DD isn't big on chinese food. I do like the chinese veggie mix w/sauce and then I usually buy a bag of shrimp to go with that (use a little less than half a bag). The green beans, spinach, and the petite peas always seem to be in the stock. I have never bought their frozen snow peas (didn't know they had them; have only seen the fresh or in the chinese mix), and the corn, peas, carrots, and beans mix is good when our store has it.

Globetrotter
03-08-2010, 01:06 PM
In the latest TJ newsletter, they talked about how they can sell their cereals for so much less than the supermarket( I cannot buy my cereals anywhere else). They don't need fancy ads or gimmicks - a lot of the money for mainstream cereal goes to marketing. These also tend to be healthier, though still very tasty.

I think it's cool to try new things there, like edamame. I didn't even know what that was about five years ago, but now it's a staple - and a tasty and healthy snack. Their processed stuff has a shorter shelf life because they dont' put in all the preservatives, so I'm okay with the tradeoff. I don't need crackers that stay crunchy for six months.

We do stock the frozen entrees for times i don't want to cook (their mac and cheese is TDF so I get it for the kids :D once a week).

The only area where i think they are overpriced is the produce, and it's also hit or miss. I do like to buy the washed snow peas and snap peas, sliced mushrooms and organic baby carrots, but otherwise we try to get our veggies from the famer's market and eat what's in season, or we will go to the Asian store for those. Between the farmer's market, TJs and sometimes the Asian store, we buy very few things at the supermarket (grits, for one :ROTFLMAO:).

It's what you're used to... DH doesn't go to TJs so he is lost in there, but fortunately the kids can direct him, whereas I am lost in Safeway and can't get out of there fast enough! (plus I am averse to the overpriced HCFS, highly preserved foods i see there - the prices are downright shocking) Our diet depends on TJs so I don't know what I would do if they closed down :p

OP, you should know better than to mess with us TJs groupies :hysterical:

mommy111
03-08-2010, 01:35 PM
Wow, is this maybe the non political thread with the most posts???
Things we love at TJs....wasabi peas, mini bagels, the handout snacks. They used to have a prepackaged falafel and hummus meal and a grilled chicken meal that we used to love but that they don't carry any more. 10 years ago, I used to snack on their pita chips and cream cheese, although I can't afford to do that anymore (fat). And their cheeses are great.
We buy all organic anyway, so TJs or WFs, both have sticker shock. Overall, actually, I think WFs is better for all organic, milk is around $5 a gallon there compared to $6 at TJs. Also, WFs tends to have fresher organic produce that lasts longer, and we love some of their cheeses. So esp after kids and since we started organic, I rarely feel the need to go to TJ's....except DD insists. The kiddie grocery carts, mini bagels, snacks, friendly check out agents in the hawiian garb and the free balloons and stickers keep us taking at least some business to TJs :)

KrisM
03-08-2010, 01:49 PM
Wow, is this maybe the non political thread with the most posts???

Have you seen the Borders sale thread from last month? I am pretty sure it's over 1,200 posts!

C99
03-08-2010, 03:20 PM
Organic milk $6! Maple syrup $18!

Did you look at anything else? 16 oz bags of pasta for 99 cents, 6-pack of cereal bars for $2.39, organic PB for $3.99, organic reduced sugar strawberry jam for $3.69 (we go through one/week), mac & cheese for $1.19 -- all in the same aisle as the maple syrup.

C99
03-08-2010, 03:26 PM
I went to the Clybourn one. They even had a guy directing traffic.

try the Lincoln one. The parking is still hairy, but better than the zoo that is the Clybourn corridor. Also: Sunday morning or Saturday late (8ish) is probably the best time to go.

C99
03-08-2010, 03:29 PM
Maybe if I had a nicer TJs, I'd give it another shot, but the one near me is small, cramped, dingy-looking and way too crowded!

That is the big one! I ran into Bethany Sousa (Designed to Sell) last year, The ones in the suburbs are slightly bigger -- the Park Ridge one is nicely stocked even on the weekends.

SnuggleBuggles
03-08-2010, 03:35 PM
Did you look at anything else? 16 oz bags of pasta for 99 cents, 6-pack of cereal bars for $2.39, organic PB for $3.99, organic reduced sugar strawberry jam for $3.69 (we go through one/week), mac & cheese for $1.19 -- all in the same aisle as the maple syrup.

Good point. You can save so much on some items that it off-sets other ones.

Beth

amldaley
03-08-2010, 03:39 PM
They are WAY cheaper on rice milk. Cheaper on gourmet food items. But for basics and staples, I agree they are higher. It is really the same as shopping for anything...you have to research and choose where you spend your dollars and shopping time where it makes most sense for your family's lifestyle.

jerigirl
03-08-2010, 03:44 PM

YES!!!! And Central Market that Kayte mentioned is owned by HEB.

I have my dad bring stuff from TJ's when he comes to visit! :p

arivecchi
03-08-2010, 03:54 PM
try the Lincoln one. The parking is still hairy, but better than the zoo that is the Clybourn corridor. Also: Sunday morning or Saturday late (8ish) is probably the best time to go. Thanks. If I decide to do another run, I will try that one. Have you been to the new one DT (on Ohio I think?)

ett
03-08-2010, 03:55 PM
In fact, this store was known as "The Balloon Store" in our house for a very long time, just because he would always get one to bring home (gratis).

DS2 is crazy about balloons so he loves going to Trader Joes! He constantly asks to go there when we leave the house. As much as I love the store, I don't need to go there every other day!

Also, I don't think all the produce is expensive. Bananas are 19 cents each and if they have big ones, that's much cheaper than my regular grocery store which is 69 -79 cents/lb. The organic sweet potatoes are cheaper than WF prices. The unbagged produce at my store are very good quality; I don't care so much for their packaged produce. Produce is very expensive at my local supermarket. I am so sad that they discontinued their castile soap. It's way cheaper than Dr. Bronner's.

C99
03-08-2010, 05:32 PM
Thanks. If I decide to do another run, I will try that one. Have you been to the new one DT (on Ohio I think?)

I think it's on Ontario. I haven't, but DH has been twice.

mommylamb
03-08-2010, 05:42 PM
It's amazing how passionate we all are about TJs (either for or against). I'm a pro-TJs kind of gal.

I never buy organic milk anyway, so the TJs price for regular hormone free milk is about $.60 cheaper than my regular grocery store (even giant now has hormone free regular milk, so it's not even for that reason).

And we don't eat a lot of pancakes in my house, so I've never bought maple syrup there either, so I can't speak to that.

What I do love is how cheap their amazing cheese selection is. I'm a glutton for cheese (and I have the a$$ to prove it). And, they've got a wonderful selection of inexpensive wines. And of course, great frozen lunch options. So, if your priority is wine, cheese, and eating at your desk, than TJs is the place for you!

I'm seriously going to kidnap you and bring you to DC and show you all the wonderful things about TJs.

arivecchi
03-08-2010, 05:44 PM
I think it's on Ontario. I haven't, but DH has been twice. Let me know if you ever want to go sometime. I love me the TJ's! So much so that I took 3 kids there at 5 p.m. last week. Thanks for the offer! :) I'll let you know.

arivecchi
03-08-2010, 05:49 PM
I'm seriously going to kidnap you and bring you to DC and show you all the wonderful things about TJs. I've concluded I just need a tour guide to introduce me to the magical world of TJs. Feel free to kidnap me anytime! Sounds like we could have some fun at TJs!

Melanie
03-08-2010, 11:48 PM

Good. Trader Joe's is way to crowded as it is. More room for me! :)

Fairy
03-09-2010, 12:03 AM
Holy mother of heck, A, u had to go and post this while I was away from a real keyboard?! I want in on the discussion but my thumbs will not comply.

Get out ofd city, go to ed park/park ridge one on nw hwy. I will b ur guide. Lake cty even cheaper.

Ditch milk and syrup if price is an object, hard to not do mix if must-haves/settle-for-jewel unless u financially can go the whole organic way. We do oberweis milk, costco has organic, too.

Cheese dirt cheap. Good prepared food.

Took me 4 visits to tj's over 7 yrs to get the right combo of stuff. Couldve used guide!

fumofu
03-09-2010, 01:31 AM
We love TJ's coffee! and their juice, dried fruit selection is the best - lemon, ginger, echinacea juice is so yummy! We buy their regular fat-free milk because it actually tastes like milk! We love their hummus and raviolis from the fridge. Just wish it were a one-stop shop.

TJ's also has a great selection of fruit, organic or not, but we get our organic produce from our local CSA (community supported agriculture) provider, which is a lot cheaper and introduces me to produce I don't normally buy and gives me recipe ideas.

arivecchi
03-09-2010, 12:07 PM
Holy mother of heck, A, u had to go and post this while I was away from a real keyboard?! I want in on the discussion but my thumbs will not comply.

Get out ofd city, go to ed park/park ridge one on nw hwy. I will b ur guide. Lake cty even cheaper. :thumbsup: I'll take you up on it. Just let me know when. :D

gordo
03-09-2010, 12:16 PM
:thumbsup: I'll take you up on it. Just let me know when. :D

I too just decided to see what all the fuss was about and tried to do all my shopping at TJs (I go to the Park Ridge one which was not crowded at all and very nice). But I agree that I had a hard time finding everything I typically want to buy and I did end up having to go to Jewel to finish my shopping. But I did find some good deals on some items. Now to convince my DD that just because it is in a different package doesn't mean that it tastes bad!

I could use a TJ guide myself.

Dream
03-09-2010, 01:03 PM
I do buy their Organic Milk. Our regular grocery store doesn't carry organic milk in 1 gals, only place I know that carry the 1 gal is TJ. It works out cheaper than buying 1QT continers at the regular store.

TwinFoxes
03-09-2010, 01:03 PM
Now to convince my DD that just because it is in a different package doesn't mean that it tastes bad!

Let me know how you do it, because I have to figure out how to convince DH! He's the main reason I have to go to the more traditional grocery store. He wants Oreos, not Joe Joes, and that's all there is to it. :)

Nooknookmom
03-09-2010, 01:38 PM
I too just decided to see what all the fuss was about and tried to do all my shopping at TJs (I go to the Park Ridge one which was not crowded at all and very nice). But I agree that I had a hard time finding everything I typically want to buy and I did end up having to go to Jewel to finish my shopping. But I did find some good deals on some items. Now to convince my DD that just because it is in a different package doesn't mean that it tastes bad!

I could use a TJ guide myself.

Hee, hee -Jewel, I'm grew up in NW Indiana and Jewel is where we used to shop. Flashback!!!

arivecchi
03-27-2010, 08:08 PM
Ok. I MUST fully retract my Trader Joes is a joke statement. Sorry to revive this old thread but I completed my second trip today. Got out of there with tons of stuff without dropping a ton of money. The fam is loving all of the new cool stuff. I guess I am now a TJs fan. :bag

JustMe
03-27-2010, 08:18 PM
So glad you let us talk some sense into you!

JTsMom
03-27-2010, 08:49 PM
:hysterical::rotflmao::hysterical:

vludmilla
03-27-2010, 09:28 PM
So glad you let us talk some sense into you!

Hee, hee. Yeah, it was kind of bothering me that someone didn't like TJ's. What a dork I am. :)

elektra
03-28-2010, 12:07 AM
Ok. I MUST fully retract my Trader Joes is a joke statement. Sorry to revive this old thread but I completed my second trip today. Got out of there with tons of stuff without dropping a ton of money. The fam is loving all of the new cool stuff. I guess I am now a TJs fan. :bag

:jammin: :ROTFLMAO:

salsah
03-28-2010, 12:54 AM
:bighand: i'm so happy for you.

mudder17
03-28-2010, 01:20 AM
:rotflmao:Awesome! Join the club!:applause: