PDA

View Full Version : The good news: DS1 got into our #1 preschool!

arivecchi
03-07-2010, 06:47 PM
The bad news: we have a week to decide whether we want the spot and have to pay a $1000 non-refundable deposit. WWYD? We have not heard from any of the other 4 schools we applied to.

SnuggleBuggles
03-07-2010, 06:48 PM
If it's the #1 choice then what's the hesitation? No need to hold out for the other schools.

Beth

happymomma
03-07-2010, 06:49 PM
Wow! Congrats! That is great news. If it's your #1 school, doesn't it mean that even if you got into the other schools, you would still want to go to this school?

arivecchi
03-07-2010, 06:50 PM
The hesitation is that it is so much $$$! Some schools were cheaper. I do love the school though, so maybe you are right and there should be no hesitation on my part.

egoldber
03-07-2010, 07:12 PM
I thought you had your house on the market? What happens if you move? Would you still go to this preschool?

boolady
03-07-2010, 07:40 PM
I too wondered if your planned move would impact your preschool plans, but that aside, if it's your first choice, it's your first choice. DD goes to daycare/preschool, so I understand the $ issues, but if it's your first choice, I assume you already factored in whether the cost was prohibitive or not.

dcmom2b3
03-07-2010, 07:43 PM
That's great news!

Assuming that the difference in tuition is much more than the $1000 deposit, I would go ahead and pay it. If you later change your mind, you might be able to get the $$ back if they can fill his slot from the waiting list.

Also, depending on the other schools and my sense of their admissions staff, I might call the others to get a sense of when their decisions will be made, and then ask school #1 for an extension of their deadline. Doesn't hurt to ask, right?

arivecchi
03-07-2010, 08:49 PM
Part of the hesitation is that if we pay the deposit, yes, we would have to stay in the neighborhood to make it work. This entire preschool process has happened at the worst possible time! Thanks for the tip about calling the other schools. I will do that this week!

mecawa
03-07-2010, 09:11 PM
I say go for it, if it's your first choice, and you haven't heard from the others. I would do it.

mecawa
03-07-2010, 09:17 PM
Part of the hesitation is that if we pay the deposit, yes, we would have to stay in the neighborhood to make it work. This entire preschool process has happened at the worst possible time! Thanks for the tip about calling the other schools. I will do that this week!

Ohhhh... I didn't read that before I posted. That does make it hard!! We were in the same boat when DD1 started preschool, I even put down a 500 dollar deposit on a preschool which I thought was my first choice. We found out we were moving, I called the preschool and told them we weren't going, but couldn't get my deposit back, to make matters worst we found out 2 months later we weren't moving, and that preschool was full. It worked out though because I actually found a new preschool that was just opening, and ended up loving the program, more than the 1st choice one.

That's a tough decision. Maybe like a pp said call around to the other ones and just see what's up.

jess_g
03-07-2010, 09:20 PM
If the school is your first choice and you don't realy like the others as much than I would say to go for it too. Our kids went to a more expensive preschool because we realy liked the school, they kept staff (which ment the teachers were paid well), and everyone was realy friendly and we liked the setup and the hours were fantastic and very flexable. For me is what worth it to pay more for a school we realy liked verses paying less for another one. I think you need to look at the other schools and see what you like and don't like about them and compare costs and then decide what you realy want to do.

Jessica.

maestramommy
03-07-2010, 09:43 PM
If that school was your #1 choice, I'd pay the deposit now. I assume it's goes to tuition?

arivecchi
03-07-2010, 09:44 PM
If that school was your #1 choice, I'd pay the deposit now. I assume it's goes to tuition? Yes, it is applied to the tuition. It's a really great, small and homey Catholic preschool. I should just do it!

ourbabygirl
03-07-2010, 09:54 PM
I would say go for it, too, but wanted to know if the 'guys' in the family like it the best, too. :tongue5: Then you'll know it's great if they prefer it, too. :thumbsup:

SnuggleBuggles
03-07-2010, 10:02 PM
That is a toughie if you are going to move. If even a move will still make it the best fit then go for it. But, if price and location are issues then perhaps it isn't the #1 choice?

Beth

egoldber
03-08-2010, 07:53 AM

JMO, but preschool is not worth the angst. I would wait and see what happens with the house.

arivecchi
03-08-2010, 11:29 AM
JMO, but preschool is not worth the angst. I would wait and see what happens with the house. Interesting. Thanks for being so honest! I will mull it over this week. We have until Monday to decide.

SnuggleBuggles
03-08-2010, 11:37 AM
I agree with Beth on this too that it is just preschool and things will work out. My ds1 didn't get into my first choice b/c I applied late and the other school wound up being the right place for him.

Beth

AnnieW625
03-08-2010, 11:56 AM
CONGRATULATIONS:cheerleader1: I am soo happy for you guys! I don't really have any advice on the $1000 deposit thing (jease that's a lot of money!) I would call the school and see if any of the deposit could be returned if it turns out you do not stay in the area. Good luck, and again I'll be thinking about you guys!

Kungjo
03-08-2010, 02:12 PM
JMO, but preschool is not worth the angst. I would wait and see what happens with the house.

I totally agree. Preschool is preschool. The kids will get taught some, but they focus on socialization as well which is just as important. Any preschool or daycare program can do that. It you were going to spend $$$, I would use it toward their elementary education.

elektra
03-08-2010, 02:15 PM
Congratulations! Do you know of the #2,3 4, etc. also require that kind of deposit? I would try to find that out first.

arivecchi
03-08-2010, 02:17 PM
Congratulations! Do you know of the #2,3 4, etc. also require that kind of deposit? I would try to find that out first. Thanks! They all require deposits, but I do not know the amounts yet. My guess is we likely won't get in anywhere else. That is what normally happens around here.

arivecchi
03-08-2010, 02:18 PM
I totally agree. Preschool is preschool. The kids will get taught some, but they focus on socialization as well which is just as important. Any preschool or daycare program can do that. It you were going to spend $$$, I would use it toward their elementary education. The school is pk3 through 8th, so this would be the time to get in.

lchang25000
03-08-2010, 02:19 PM
Yes, it is applied to the tuition. It's a really great, small and homey Catholic preschool. I should just do it!

Yes, you should just do it if it's your first pick. Congrats! :cheerleader1:

elektra
03-08-2010, 02:28 PM
Yes, you should just do it if it's your first pick. Congrats! :cheerleader1:

Gotta agree with this. If they all require deposits, then I would only look at the risk as the difference between the top and the next few down. So if #1 is $1000, but #2 is 800, the risk is really only $200, right? Because you are going to pick one of the top few, assuming DS gets into more than one.
I remember all your posts about all the tours you did. You did your homework so it sounds like it's really the best place for DS #1. And if the worst thing that happens is that your house sells the day after you put down the deposit, well, yes that will be a bummer but you will have sold your house!

I should bring DH in on this, he has some great logic when it comes to justifying spending money. ;)

arivecchi
03-08-2010, 03:21 PM
CONGRATULATIONS:cheerleader1: I am soo happy for you guys! I don't really have any advice on the $1000 deposit thing (jease that's a lot of money!) I would call the school and see if any of the deposit could be returned if it turns out you do not stay in the area. Good luck, and again I'll be thinking about you guys! Thanks! This has been the one good thing that has happened in a while! :boogie:

arivecchi
03-08-2010, 03:44 PM
Gotta agree with this. If they all require deposits, then I would only look at the risk as the difference between the top and the next few down. So if #1 is $1000, but #2 is 800, the risk is really only $200, right? Because you are going to pick one of the top few, assuming DS gets into more than one.
I remember all your posts about all the tours you did. You did your homework so it sounds like it's really the best place for DS #1. And if the worst thing that happens is that your house sells the day after you put down the deposit, well, yes that will be a bummer but you will have sold your house!

I should bring DH in on this, he has some great logic when it comes to justifying spending money. ;) LOL. I see you come from the same school of thinking when it comes to spending money....

Kungjo
03-08-2010, 04:10 PM
The school is pk3 through 8th, so this would be the time to get in.

That changes things. If this is the #1 choice, then I would go for it. How do you feel about staying in the area just for the school though?

arivecchi
03-08-2010, 04:22 PM
That changes things. If this is the #1 choice, then I would go for it. How do you feel about staying in the area just for the school though? I love my neighborhood so I would be fine with that! I don't think it would be hard to find a new place close to the school.

AnnieW625
03-08-2010, 04:26 PM
I love my neighborhood so I would be fine with that! I don't think it would be hard to find a new place close to the school.

If this were us we'd most likely just go for it too.

codex57
03-08-2010, 05:37 PM
Congrats! With all the homework you did, I'm sure it'll work out great.