PDA

View Full Version : How old was your DC when you started bathing him/her in the regular tub?

happymom
03-07-2010, 10:33 PM
DD is almost 15 months. Right now, we use the munchkin blow-up ducky tub inside the big tub and she loves it. Well, she loves the ducky but hates being washed up- but thats a whole 'nother story.

http://www.target.com/dp/B002BFTO1S

DH suggested that we bathe DD in the regular tub. I kinda like the fact that she cant move around much...

What do you think? Thanks

SnuggleBuggles
03-07-2010, 10:34 PM
Way before 12m. I think by 2-3m with ds1 and pretty much right from the get-go with ds2.

Beth

happymom
03-07-2010, 10:35 PM
Way before 12m. I think by 2-3m with ds1 and pretty much right from the get-go with ds2.

Beth

Before they were even sitting? How did you manage that- you just held them while washing them?

wellyes
03-07-2010, 10:37 PM
DD will be two in less than a month and she still prefers the Eurotub (inside the tub) to being in the tub by itself. It also uses a lot less water to fill the Eurotub so we hope to use it as long as possible.

neeleymartin
03-07-2010, 10:37 PM
both our boys were about 9mos old. our tub has a textured bottom, so slipping wasn't a big concern. we always started with about 2 inches of water or less. they get used to the water and the minor slip factor pretty quickly. hth

happymom
03-07-2010, 10:39 PM
both our boys were about 9mos old. our tub has a textured bottom, so slipping wasn't a big concern. we always started with about 2 inches of water or less. they get used to the water and the minor slip factor pretty quickly. hth

They're not cold with only 2 inches of water?

MolieMuts
03-07-2010, 10:40 PM
DS2 is still in the Munchkin Ducky tub and he is 19 mos. He has taken baths in the tub without it, but I like that it doesn't use as much water and keeps him from moving around so much. We will probably transition him out in the next couple of months.

Avispa
03-07-2010, 10:41 PM
We have always bathed DD (now 14 months) in the regular bath tub, since day 1. We just gradually increased the level of water and for the first 3 months or so I was putting a towel under her so that she wouldn't slide around. As long as they are supervised, I think it is a good thing that they can move around a bit and have a sense for being in the water. At least my DD loves it and can spend an hour in the tub splashing around (we usually get tired of it before she does).
We also have and used the munchkin ducky, mostly when we were visiting friends for several days and they didn't have a regular tub.
I'd say give it a try and see how she likes it!

Dr C
03-07-2010, 10:41 PM
With DS we didn't have a tub until he was about 2. When he got too big for the baby bathtub at about 15 months, he took showers with us. DD has been bathing in the big tub (with her brother and +/- DH) since her umbilical cord fell off. My point being that babies are resiliant and most kids seem to like being in water no matter where it is!

happymom
03-07-2010, 10:42 PM
With DS we didn't have a tub until he was about 2. When he got too big for the baby bathtub at about 15 months, he took showers with us. DD has been bathing in the big tub (with her brother and +/- DH) since her umbilical cord fell off. My point being that babies are resiliant and most kids seem to like being in water no matter where it is!

You're right, I'm just a bit nervous about it.

Avispa
03-07-2010, 10:43 PM

we usually warm up the bathroom before bath time so that she wouldn't be cold (especially when DD was younger).

edurnemk
03-07-2010, 10:45 PM
DS is 25 months old and we still bathe him in the inflatable tub. He can still sit comfortably in it and it uses a lot less water than the regular tub. I also find it easier to clean than the big tub.

neeleymartin
03-07-2010, 10:46 PM

not at all. they have so much fun with the water, they don't even realize that they aren't getting a deeper tubby. we like the small amount b/c the buoyancy in their tummies doesn't tip them over. they can sit without tipping. they can also crawl around and explore. give it a try. you will be pleasantly surprised. fwiw, we keep our house super cool, 65 max.

over time the tub level will increase. ds1 and ds2 start together and then ds2 get's out and we add a bit more water to warm it up and add to the fun.

happymom
03-07-2010, 10:49 PM
Thanks everyone, I think I will give it a try! I'll report back...

MamaSnoo
03-07-2010, 10:49 PM
We transitioned out of the infant tub into an inflatable tub from One Step Ahead which fit into the bathtub, but gave her a smaller "pool."

She was in that until she got really stable and could climb out! I think we went to the regular tub around 20 mos, but we got our money's worth out of the inflatable.

http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=535631&cmSource=Search

SnuggleBuggles
03-07-2010, 10:55 PM
Before they were even sitting? How did you manage that- you just held them while washing them?

I went in with them when they couldn't sit yet. I felt more comfortable with that...plus I have a hard time turning down a bath. :) I'd hand the baby off to dh and dh would get ds ready while I continued a bath for me.

eta- since I went in too the water was always really deep. When he went in on his own, once he was sitting reliably, we put in mid chest level. I know that some kids are fine with super shallow but my boys always looked cold.
Beth

2Carol
03-07-2010, 11:47 PM
I used the sink until age 4 and it was SO much easier. Yes I had a deep sink that was a bit larger. I could stand up, no back issues, easier to pick them up and wrap them in towels and lightening fast. Also "greener" in that it uses much much less water (although not my motivation).

Yes I used the tub when it was play time, but the routine get your little body clean was in the sink - also the sprayer was really handy for hair rinsing - less issues than trying to dump water over their heads.

So they will be six in a couple months and for the past year it's been in the big tub (all three munchkins at one time).

AshleyAnn
03-07-2010, 11:52 PM
DD's second bath was in the tub. Her umblical stump feel off early and I found her infant tub to be a joke. My mom bought her something called a bath sling at walmart that is a mess and wire supporter for newborns in the tub and I've used it ever since. She's 3.5 months old and nearly bounces herself off now so its time for a new solution. I also have a bath ring that attaches to the side of the tub for her to sit in without slipping under the water but she's much too tiny for it now but I'm sure it will be useful in the future. I got rid of our baby tub and I can't see any reason for us to get another.

we usually warm up the bathroom before bath time so that she wouldn't be cold (especially when DD was younger).

Ditto. I shower before DD's bath so the tub isn't cold and that helps keep the water much warmer and the air is nice and steamy with warm air. DD stays in her bouncer or saucer in the bathroom while I shower.

shawnandangel
03-07-2010, 11:53 PM
We used the baby tub until she was about 9 months
Now we either shower with her or she sits in the bathtub. I would say there's about 6 inches or so of water in there when she sits in the tub. We have bathtime crayons and she loves to play with those and her duckies.

alirebco
03-08-2010, 12:24 AM
Baby bath until 6 months or so, then regular tub with that big bear sponge underneath for traction, then switched to the shower (regular shower, not a tub) around 9-10 months and that was so much easier.

AnnieW625
03-08-2010, 12:41 AM
I think we made the switch right around from baby bath on the sink board to baby bath in the tub at about 6 mos. old, and then we ditched the baby tub sometime between 9 mos. and 12 mos. old.

karstmama
03-08-2010, 01:14 AM
he was three.

when he first came home, i had a sink tub. then for a long long time, it was the sink. oh how i loved that - he was at waist height.

now he's in the tub because he started really wanting to splash & play. oh my aching back...

jgenie
03-08-2010, 01:19 AM
We used the Eurobath until DS1 was 18 months. We switched him to the bathtub because he didn't want to take baths and we thought he would enjoy having more toys in the bath tub with him.

salsah
03-08-2010, 02:26 AM
we used the eurobath with dd1 until she was 2 maybe. (it was just easier to have her up on the bathroom counter.) but dd2 joined dd1 in the big bath tub much earlier. probably around 6-9 months. i remember that she could sit but didn't stand yet.