PDA

View Full Version : Best face forward--waxing question

MamaSnoo
03-07-2010, 10:53 PM
Do any of you wax (chin/upper lip) at home? If so, what supplies do you use and where did you get them? Is it hard or maybe worth doing?

I am someone who will go get a haircut every 6 weeks, but I am not very good about going in for waxing or nails. This may sound weird, but I feel really funny about getting those services for some reason.

wendmatt
03-07-2010, 10:58 PM
I was an aesthetician so used to do tons of waxing, so I can't really tell you from a do it at home stand point if you've never done it, but do be very careful about using the right temp wax, too hot will burn. Put on a really thin layer in the direction of the hair growth, put on strip, pull skin very taught and put against the growth very fast. You can buy small tins of wax and strips at Sallys.

MamaMolly
03-07-2010, 11:10 PM
I've used the Sally Hansen's wax strips for my top lip before. It is an acetate sheet that you can cut to the right shape, peel apart, place the sticky side on your face and pull off. I gotta be honest, it hurts like a mo-fo. So bad I can't bring myself to do it very much. I look like a blond Chewbacca right now. Though I can pluck my eyebrows no problem, it just hurts so much to do the lip. My sister on the other hand has the opposite problem. No trouble with the lip the eyebrows kill her, so YMMV.

I'm seriously looking into getting laser treatment.

sadie427
03-07-2010, 11:19 PM
I also use the Sally Hansen cold wax strips. I find it pretty easy and I don't personally find it too painful. Eyebrow tweezing is more painful for me for some reason. I go to a salon for brows, but do my own lip and chin.

Twoboos
03-07-2010, 11:21 PM
I gotta be honest, it hurts like a mo-fo. .....

I'm seriously looking into getting laser treatment.

If waxing hurts you that much, you'd better get some numbing cream for the laser! I have waxed lip/eyebrows myself for years and years (still go to the salon for bikini, that's hard to reach!). When I finally went for laser, my lip KILLED - and I have had two kids! :wink2: Really, it was brutal and I had to have ice immediately on the site.

Although really, I haven't been for laser again in nearly a year. yes, the 'stash is there, but it's not as bad as it's been in the past. But I know I need to go back. I did love how long it lasted - 4-6 weeks vs. 10 days - 2 weeks for waxing.

Waxing isn't that bad IMO. I have had a home waxer since college maybe - I finally think I won't be able to find the refills anymore. So I am going to have to look into something else. Going every 2 weeks for brows is not happening around here!

MolieMuts
03-08-2010, 12:04 AM
I use Nad's pre-pasted strips. I do it about once a month and it seems to get the job done. I have had it done at the salon before, but my skin is very sensitive and it is embarassing to walk around in public with a red upper lip and eyelids.

bandgsmama
03-08-2010, 12:51 AM
my favorite that i've tried is andrea's naturals facial wax hair removal system. microwave the little bottle & apply to small sections on the face. just be careful to not get it too hot!let cool & peel.

i found it on clearance at cvs one time (they no longer carry it). the last time i purchased some, i had to bid on ebay.

lizzywednesday
03-08-2010, 12:59 AM
I do OK with the Aussie Nad's cool wax strips for both, but think my chin hairs may be too coarse for this to work well. (I pluck the chin hair, even though I read recently you're not supposed to.)

mom2binsd
03-08-2010, 01:27 AM
I have been using the Smooth Away pads for the last year...the small size is perfect for the lip area and it allows you to get very very close to the lips.

My trick is to push the skin out from the inside with your tongue and buff in a circular motion. Skin should be clean and dry. Afterwards rinse and moisturize and voila!!!

It literally takes me about 3 minutes!

I bought one kit last summer and have not used all the small pads yet so very economical too!

It lasts about 6-8 weeks and I've not had any issues.

I used to use cream hair remover but they are so harsh.

I had no interest in waxing...too painful and messy.

graciebellesmomma
03-08-2010, 01:33 AM
Threading is your friend!

Find someone in your area that does it.
It's cheap and doesn't rip my skin apart like
waxing does. Put hydrocortisone on right after.

I can't get waxed without huge parts of my skin
getting ripped off, huge red welts and looking
like a freak for few days. Seriously. I have
deep, thick hair roots/follicles? Hairy beast.

Roni
03-08-2010, 11:13 AM
I do sugaring instead of waxing--just bikini line. Sugaring is easier on sensitive skin. I usually have it done professionally, but I have done it at home once or twice.

ourbabygirl
03-08-2010, 11:23 AM
I've been waxing my eyebrows since after college, and bought myself a little kit when I learned my roommate did it all the time. I tried using it a few times, but my problem is that I hate inflicting pain on myself, so I could never bring myself to rip off the strip! So I keep going to the salon to do it. Luckily I don't have to do it too often- every month at the most, and I can get it done for about $12, so I'm o.k. with that. I hate plucking and could never pluck my own eyebrows, either- I'm too much of a baby. It's just much quicker and less painful to have someone else do it, so that's what I do. :D

Green22
03-08-2010, 11:34 AM
Threading is way better, but it is really hard to find someone who threads.

I have tried a bunch of waxing kits - I liked Nads little pen-type thing but it just stopped working one day. I bought the Poetic Waxing kit from Sephora a few years ago and am still using it today. I react to everything but this doesn't irritate me. I find it easy to use and it has lasted forever. But I think the treading hurts less.

pinkmomagain
03-08-2010, 11:52 AM
I've used the Sally Hansen's wax strips for my top lip before. It is an acetate sheet that you can cut to the right shape, peel apart, place the sticky side on your face and pull off.

These are what I use for lip and the sides of my face (side burn type hair - yuck). I am determined in the next few months to get some price quotes on lasering and presenting them to dh. I would be very thrilled to have this hair gone forever.

As far as eyebrows, I use tweezers. I'm a little obsessive about it and pluck stray hairs on almost a daily basis. But I do have black eyebrow hairs so they are quite noticeable.

I have a high tolerance for pain.

TwinFoxes
03-08-2010, 12:00 PM

Like many things, it depends on where you live. Here they do threading in the concourse area of the malls. Like next to the kiosks where they sell the iPod cases and purses. You sit down on the chair and they thread you right in the middle of the mall! Uh, no thanks. LA also had a lot of threading places. I think you need to live in a place with a high percentage of immigrants from countries that traditionally use threading.

mytwosons
03-08-2010, 12:50 PM

I have tried a bunch of waxing kits - I liked Nads little pen-type thing but it just stopped working one day. I bought the Poetic Waxing kit from Sephora a few years ago and am still using it today. I react to everything but this doesn't irritate me. I find it easy to use and it has lasted forever. But I think the treading hurts less.

I really like the Poetic Waxing kit from Sephora. It's a green wax that is easier on the skin (so you can wax twice if you miss something) and it doesn't use cloth strips; you just tear the wax off. The only negative to this kit is the time needed to melt the wax on the stove. I need to plan my waxing sessions instead of just quickly taking care of an issue when I notice it.

boogiemom
03-08-2010, 01:09 PM
I have been using the Smooth Away pads for the last year...the small size is perfect for the lip area and it allows you to get very very close to the lips.

My trick is to push the skin out from the inside with your tongue and buff in a circular motion. Skin should be clean and dry. Afterwards rinse and moisturize and voila!!!

I bought one kit last summer and have not used all the small pads yet so very economical too!

Yes to the above! Soooooo easy. No nasty smells or pain. Quick and easy.

jse107
03-08-2010, 01:16 PM
Yes to the above! Soooooo easy. No nasty smells or pain. Quick and easy.

So it really works? I'd be willing to try this if you can convince me I won't be wasting my money...(or screaming in pain).

MissyAg94
03-08-2010, 04:59 PM
I found threading to be extremely painful. It took all that I could muster to not cry! Never again.

sunshine873
03-08-2010, 05:08 PM

Oh, I hated the smooth away system. I found it very painful. Like a rug burn. Ugh. Waxing is so much easier to me. I'm a lot like the OP, I like to go to the salon, but tend to only get it done when i'm getting a hair cut, and really need it much more often than that. So, I use the Sally Hansen wax strip kit. http://www.sallyhansen.com/product.cfm?product=137 It's worked the best for me out of everything I've tried so far. Plus, it's easy...throw away the stuff when you're done & that's it.