PDA

View Full Version : WWYD? - New to kids hockey

BabyMine
03-07-2010, 11:28 PM
We took M to a hockey rink on Saturday. They had a freeskate for 4-7y/os. He was so excited until he went onto the ice. A trainer came by and tried to help him but he was crying and wanted off. M hasn't ever cried at anything sports related. They had another rink for all age open skate so DH and I put our skates on and told M we would go with him. He only wanted DH so I sat out. They went about 10 feet out and came back. He was just to scared.

I haven't been ice skating in almost 29 years and decided to try it. Five feet out I fell and landed on my elbow and but. Hurt like he[[ but I showed M that it is ok to fall. How did your DC handle the ice for the first time. He told us today that he wants to go skating with us again so we will try it again in a couple weeks. WWYD?

I don't care if he plays hockey, I just don't want him to be afraid of the ice.

2Carol
03-07-2010, 11:41 PM
They were on the ice a year ago as well, but then it was pretty much being held up the entire time.

This year we have a frozen pond. They push chairs around (the summer lawn chairs in their new role as ice skating learning tools). Daddy spent a bunch of time holding them up but now they are upright most of the time on their own without the chairs. Really LOW key, only us so no pressure from othe people whizzing by, no music.

Oh I do dress them in lots of fluffy layers so there is more padding. No helmets on our pond because they are not really moving and no one whizzing by who could run into them.

For your son I'm wondering if it's just all that goes on at a rink as well as being on the ice? busy and kind of overwhelming? I'd ask about lessons (not hockey, just skating) for little ones and if they do one on one or know anyone.

I'm with you - I want my children to have at least basic skills on ice and not be afraid. I don't care if they play organized sports and at one level would sort of prefer that they don't get interested in the dangerous likely to get hurt sports with lots of impacts (so yes I guess hockey is on my list)

infocrazy
03-08-2010, 12:40 AM
DS1 (4.5) just finished up 7 weeks of skating lessons. It got pretty ugly at times. He actually passed the class the first time and we were told it usually takes about 2 or 3 times...but we'd still put him in the class again for confidence building. There was definitely crying involved, which isn't typical for sports for him, but is normal for trying things out of his comfort zone. Skating isn't your average sporting experience though and DS is definitely still afraid of falling...even though he has many times.

For a bunch of reasons, we are not putting him in again but DH is going to take him to open skates whenever DS1 wants to go. He isn't too wild about going right now.

I'd say if he wants to keep trying, keep trying, and if not, don't worry too much, just try again in a few months when he's a little older.

mom2binsd
03-08-2010, 02:01 AM
Do they offer learn to skate lessons where you live, it's really best to introduce a child to skating at that age with instructors who specialize in beginners...they even start out by learning how to fall and get up. They make it fun and teach skating based on developing basic skills.

Also it's sooo much easier to learn to skate in figure skates, hockey blades are very tricky, our ice center rents out hockey skates and figure skates, but the figure skates aren't white or black leather, but a skate that looks more like a hockey skate but with figure skate attributes and the figure skate blade.

I also teach learn to skate and used to skate and it's really hard to take a child onto any type of open skate, the other skaters, esp teenagers are reckless and it can scare a child.

My DS began skating last year when he turned 3, we started out in figure skates...he is now in house league playing hockey, very low key and lots of skills development but they play cross ice or half ice games too but learning to skate first is important, you can't play hockey until you can skate a little bit.

Roni
03-08-2010, 10:57 AM
We skate on a lake. I've purposely not involved them in lessons b/c ice skating is too expensive for us if they were to take it seriously, & I can teach them, anyway. Dd1 first was on the ice at 19 months, with us holding her up. (Actually, the year before that, she got pulled on the ice on a sled--both girls did as babies.) We tried milk crates and chairs over the years, but now we have this really cool device that my Dad bought them (from Canada, I think) that you can push around. Both girls can skate on their own now, but my 6 yo still likes the security of the device. (I wish I knew what it was called--it's basically a red, metal frame with a handle, that glides across the ice. You don't kick it when you try to skate, like you do with a milk crate.)

Oh, and yes, lots of padding--helmet, elbow, knee. We even have an optional "crash pad" that fits like a diaper. (Don't laugh--it's helpful when you are learning double jumps and keep crashing. I don't let the girls wear it in public, though.)

I find free skate at rinks to be crazy, unless you can go during an off-hour (week-day, when most kids are in school).

mousemom
03-08-2010, 02:17 PM
Not sure where these might be available, but I first learned to skate (around 5, I think) using double blade ice skates like these:

http://www.amazon.com/Bob-Skates-Double-Runner-Ice/dp/B0000CE099

When I started, I remember enjoying it and not being afraid of the ice, even though I did fall at times. So, maybe try it again, but if your DS really doesn't seem to be enjoying it, don't push the issue and try again in a year or two?

LarsMal
03-08-2010, 02:30 PM
I just finished up Mommy & Me skating lessons with DS (4.5) and DD1 (young 3). The lessons were 7 weeks and 7 free passes for the kids to get extra practice. Skating at the open skate was too ovewhelming for DD at first. She is fine now, and we just skate to the far end where no one really goes and practice there.

Helpful tips we learned:
- "march" don't "skate" I don't think they learn to skate until the second level of non Mommy & Me classes.

- Keep hands out in front, like on a table top- or slightly to the side- think penguin walk.

- If you feel like you are going to fall, put your hands on your knees until you are steady.

- If you are going to help DC skate, hold under the armpits- don't hold hands above their head. It's better if you can be in front (skating backwards) while they march forward- holding their hands.

Both DS and DD passed out of the Mommy & Me after the first session. DS started his first class without me yesterday and did great. He is still "marching". I don't think they "skate" until the next level. It's all about confidence building right now. I am not comfortable having DD out there without me so she is taking a break and will start again in a couple sessions. For now, we'll just take her to the open skates.

DS really wants to play hockey. As long as he stays interested we will sign him up for the lessons. He has two more levels of tot classes and then he can start hockey skating. For now we are having him wear the rental figure skates. We'll get him hockey skates once he gets to the hockey skating classes.

mikeys_mom
03-08-2010, 03:54 PM
Also it's sooo much easier to learn to skate in figure skates, hockey blades are very tricky, our ice center rents out hockey skates and figure skates, but the figure skates aren't white or black leather, but a skate that looks more like a hockey skate but with figure skate attributes and the figure skate blade.

Interesting...Around here, everyone says to always start with hockey skates because they are easier. I always wondered about that because the first time I put on hockey skates without a toe pick, I almost landed flat on my face and I have been skating since I was around 2 or 3 years old. Intuitively figure skates make more sense.

mikeys_mom
03-08-2010, 03:56 PM
but now we have this really cool device that my Dad bought them (from Canada, I think) that you can push around. Both girls can skate on their own now, but my 6 yo still likes the security of the device. (I wish I knew what it was called--it's basically a red, metal frame with a handle, that glides across the ice. You don't kick it when you try to skate, like you do with a milk crate.)

I think this is probably what you have

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/KidsSports/KidsSkating/PRDOVR~0830187P/Wee%252BPlay%252BEarly%252BSkater%252BLearning%252 BAid.jsp

Most rinks here in Canada have them available.

BabyMine
03-08-2010, 04:18 PM
He tried the hockey skates first and then we switched to figure skates. The do have a learn to skate class which is what we will probably enroll him in. We will probably do trial class and a couple free skate class to keep geting him more comfortable.

mom2binsd
03-08-2010, 07:19 PM
Most public rinks I've been to will not allow any type of skating "aid" like a chair or the cool contraption in the link from mikeys mom...too much of a hazard during open skate.

As to why figure skates are easier, they go up higher on the ankle/provide more support but the blade is the key it allow the skater to balance easier due to the dual edges and the toe picks keep beginners from face planting.