PDA

View Full Version : Need help...no color from my DVD player. Bill maybe?

blisstwins
03-08-2010, 12:12 AM
We have a DVD player, region free, that used to work fine. We got a new HDTV and since then it will play discs, but only in black and white. When my husband hooks up XBOX the color is fine, so it is not the TV. The player used to work with color and still works fine, except for the bacl and white issue. I don't even know where to start and my husband does not see the problem with B&W only. Ugh.

blisstwins
03-08-2010, 09:04 AM
bumping because I really hope someone has an idea

Momof3Labs
03-08-2010, 09:06 AM
When we've had that problem before, it was because the cables weren't hooked up properly.

BillK
03-08-2010, 09:49 AM
What sort of cables are you using to hook it up?

Yellow/White/Red = composite - old fashioned way to do it - lowest picture quality - Or possibly a "S-Video" cable - same basic idea 'cept swap the yellow RCA type cable for a round S-Video cable.

Red/Green/Blue(component) + Red/White(audio) - better than the previous - may be the problem because it's easy with lots of cables to swap the blue and green ones around by mistake as they're close in color. Or even maybe accidentally swap the red audio with the red video. Verify those connections.

HDMI - one cable for both audio/video - best pic quality - pretty simple connection - probably not what you're using.

If that's not the issue then it may be a setting within the DVD player or TV itself. You'll need to post more details.

Hope that helps.

blisstwins
03-08-2010, 10:50 AM
Thanks Bill and Momof3labs. This board is so wonderful.
I will try to check the cable tonight. The DVD player had fine color on our old TV and the new TV has fine color with the XBOX so it must me a hook up problem, right? It is so frustrating. We just got Ponyo and I want to watch it with my kids! To have a new TV but no color?!? Seems silly.