PDA

View Full Version : Mrs. Meyer's Cleaning Products

Melaine
03-08-2010, 08:47 AM
http://www.mrsmeyers.com/

Anyone try this line? I saw they had quite a few products at our TJ Maxx and the prices looked good to me. I never heard of it. TIA!

jvs195
03-08-2010, 09:23 AM
I have tried Mrs. Meyer's and the Seventh Generation brands (Target has both) but found them to be hit or miss. The dishwasher soap for both not so good. I'm hesitant to buy beauty or food products from TJ Maxx since I had a bad experience with a food item (mealy worms). I don't know if the cleaners lose their effectiveness over time or not and how long they've been there. For general cleaning I use Shaklee (bought a starter kit a few years ago and still have 1/2 a bottle of the Basic H2O cleaning drops used to make the cleaners). I also just make my own green cleaning from vinegar, tea tree oil, Dr. Bronner's soap, Borax and baking soda with recipes from "Clean House Clean Planet". Much cheaper and completely safe. I add essential oils to make nicer smelling things if I'm in the mood.

ett
03-08-2010, 09:43 AM
I've looked into it before, but it wasn't as natural as they claimed to be.

latully
03-08-2010, 09:45 AM
All Purpose Cleaner is a great product. I use it for mopping, dilute it for the counters and it smells great!

Melaine
03-08-2010, 09:47 AM
Thanks guys!

Devinsmom
03-08-2010, 01:39 PM
I bought the Geranium scented wipes at Home Goods recently just to try it out. I am now addicted to the scent! I'm sure it's not for everyone though; it's pretty strong. I went back and bought a couple other products and I dilute them so it's not too overpowering. I'm happy with them.

Andi98989
03-08-2010, 01:50 PM
My mom got me this countertop spray for christmas, and I found the scent to be really overwhelming.

http://www.mrsmeyers.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductId=92773bff-cf46-4730-b894-d8add1963411

Once it's gone, I'm going to use castile soap.

Jenn27
03-08-2010, 02:21 PM
I use the countertop spray, though it's not my favorite. The multi purpose cleaner left my tile floor sticky but is ok as a spray. The dryer sheets are worthless... Try it out, TJMaxx has it at a good price!

MizMojoLaveau
03-08-2010, 06:19 PM
I tried the pine scented hand sop Target had at Christmastime and loved it!

blisstwins
03-08-2010, 06:56 PM
They are not as natural as they claim--a friend works in this industry and told me specifically to avoid this brand.

firemama
04-14-2010, 04:01 PM
I absolutely love these products. I use the lemon verbena scent exclusively. (The other ones don't appeal to me).

The dish soap is great! The bottle lasts a long time and if I need extra scrubbing power, I add baking soda.

The all-purpose cleaner is great for the shower, sink, toilet, floor, etc. I had a different experience than a PP, and did not have a sticky floor. Their products are very concentrated and a capful (probably less than a tsp.) goes a long way.

I also use the surface wipes if I'm in a rush and need a quick clean-up.

The laundry detergent and liquid fabric softener are wonderful! Our clothes come out just as clean as with Tide and smell great. My cousin's wife was over when I was doing laundry and said what is that smell?! Did you just clean? It was my laundry hanging up to dry... She wanted a bottle too. These bottles last a long time too because they are very concentrated. You only need a half of a capful for 1 full load of laundry. They are HE compatible for front-loaders.

I also use the baby detergent on my bras. The bras saleslady suggested Dreft, but I have heard this is probably the worst detergent out there. Just because it has been around for a long time doesn't mean it is necessarily safe for babies. It's just the most recommended out there. I use a gentler detergent on my bras so it doesn't wear on the elasticity and my bras last FOREVER. Also, never hang your bras to dry, lay them flat.

I am sad though, because I will have to switch to Charlie's Soap laundry detergent exclusively. We are expecting our first born in July and I will be cloth diapering. Charlie's Soap seems to be the most widely recommended since it won't leave a residue on the prefolds. It is natural and there are no brighteners. (They recommend if you are using it for cloth diapers, to use it on everything in your house so there is no residue build-up from other loads of laundry).

Hope this helps and you still might give Mrs. Meyers a try. They are great products!

the2bobs
05-21-2010, 04:05 PM
I love the Basil whatever dish soap. I actually seek it out. Have the shower spray cleanser, seems ok.

brittone2
05-23-2010, 09:19 AM

:yeahthat:

IMO a "greenwashed" product line.

KrisM
05-23-2010, 09:50 AM
I am sad though, because I will have to switch to Charlie's Soap laundry detergent exclusively. We are expecting our first born in July and I will be cloth diapering. Charlie's Soap seems to be the most widely recommended since it won't leave a residue on the prefolds. It is natural and there are no brighteners. (They recommend if you are using it for cloth diapers, to use it on everything in your house so there is no residue build-up from other loads of laundry).

You won't be washing your diapers with your clothes, so no need to change exclusively. I always use Tide on my diapers and ALL on my clothes.

firemama
05-25-2010, 06:12 AM
blisstwins: They are not as natural as they claim--a friend works in this industry and told me specifically to avoid this brand.

Originally Posted by ett:

:yeahthat:

IMO a "greenwashed" product line.

blisstwins, ett, and brittone:

What do I need to know about these products? Why should you avoid this brand? Not as natural as they claim? What is 'greenwashed?

I thought they put a complete ingredient list on their bottles and they are all safe. (Unlike Tide, etc. that only tells you a couple of their ingredients).

I would think Seventh Generation, Method, Green Works, etc. would be 'greenwashed' products.

What other products do you think are 'greenwashed?'