PDA

View Full Version : A thread about milk....

arivecchi
03-08-2010, 12:39 PM
All this talk of milk has me so confused! Please tell me what kind of milk you buy and why. Bonus points if you can link pics so I can see the different labels! :ROTFLMAO:

lchang25000
03-08-2010, 12:42 PM
Non-organic store brand milk made from cows not treated with hormones, etc.

infocrazy
03-08-2010, 12:50 PM

:yeahthat:

caleymama
03-08-2010, 12:54 PM
I think this is a very informative and helpful link about the different "kinds" of milk:
http://www.foodrenegade.com/healthy-milk-what-to-buy/

We buy (it's delivered) Ronnybrook Farm (http://www.ronnybrook.com/index.html) Creamline milk. It is relatively local, hormone free, free range, grass fed, closed herd, non-homogenized, low temp pasteurized, glass bottled....

It is expensive at 2.49/quart. We get 4 quarts/week.

DH uses (also delivered) glass bottled, hormone free Byrne Dairy milk. $3.36/half gallon. He uses 2 half gallons/week.

HTH

HIU8
03-08-2010, 12:54 PM

Plus lactaid milk for me and rice milk for DD.

wellyes
03-08-2010, 12:58 PM
Organic for baby & self - we've done Stonyfield Farms, Nature's Valley and whatever Stop & Shop's organic store brand is (Nature's Promise maybe?) My least favorite is Stonyfield Farms because it's soooo ultrapastuerized. I think it tastes weirdly bland.

DH buys Lactaid for himself. Lactaid brand chocolate milk is the BEST I've tasted ever.

What is the "etc."?

I buy organic just because I know what the standards are for it - never antibiotics, never pesticides, and at least a touch of pasture-fed. I know from the nutritionist Marion Nestle that most terms such as "All Natural" are written by marketers and don't really mean anything.

I know there are plenty of great farmers who produce wonderful milk without meeting the standards for organic or without paying to get certified - but since I buy at the grocery store, not a farm, I think organic is the safest bet.

I think this is a very informative and helpful link about the different "kinds" of milk:
http://www.foodrenegade.com/healthy-milk-what-to-buy/

Interesting site - but - I'm not sure I'd be comfortable feeding a toddler nonpastuerized milk, and I definitely would not want it for myself while pregnant.

AnnieW625
We get our milk from Rockview Farms, a local dairy 15 miles from my house (if that) and it is delivered fresh (within 72 hrs. of milking) to our house every Wednesday morning. We get regular non organic hormone free 1% milk. If we did not have access to hormone free milk I'd most likely spulrge for organic. If I had my #1 choice I'd love hormone free milk in glass bottles! Milk in glass bottles tastes soo much better. I used to get it up north from the co-op market I belonged to. It was $3 a half gallon but for one person it was a nice splurge and it loved it. If I went to WF on a more regular basis I could get it there too, but it's just not convenient. If we need more milk during our delivery week I'll get O Organics from Vons, a 1/2 gallon of Rockview Farms from the drive thru dairy or a half gallon of milk at Trader Joe's.

Here is a link to the dairy we get our milk from now (we pay $3.50 for a gallon!):
http://www.rockviewfarms.com/ (I am also 99% sure that this is the same dairy that labels our Trader Joe's, and Stater Bros. (regional market) milk products because they taste exactly the same and the caps are written in the same block print that say rBST free.

This is the dairy that I could get my milk in glass jars from:
http://www.strausfamilycreamery.com/

If we lived a little bit closer (well really DH could pick this up for us since it's sort of near his work) I'd get my milk here, Broguieres, (http://www.yelp.com/biz/broguieres-farm-fresh-dairy-montebello). They no longer do delivery:( (unless someone in So Cal wants to correct me; I couldn't find it 2+ yrs. ago when I started researching milk delivery), but it's really good milk that I can get in WF if I am in the neighborhood.

jse107
Currently we get the store-brand organic, hormone-free milk. I like the organic, but am adamant about it being hormone-free.

newg
03-08-2010, 12:59 PM
I buy organic Milk from Biggs........normally Biggs brand. They have a milk rewards program and gas program..........I get a milk point for every gallon or half gallon and once I have nine points I get a free gallon of milk...........and for every gallon of milk I get $.10 off gas.

wendibird22
03-08-2010, 01:01 PM
Generic store brand 2% for DD1 and skim for DH and me. I haven't gotten on the hormone free bandwagon yet.:bag

stillplayswithbarbies
03-08-2010, 01:06 PM
I just buy whatever's on sale at wherever it's the cheapest. Whole milk for the entire family because that is what we like.

TwinFoxes
03-08-2010, 01:10 PM
Currently we get the store-brand organic, hormone-free milk. I like the organic, but am adamant about it being hormone-free.

Same here. Same goes for cheese. I use 1%, girls still drink whole, DH doesn't care and only really uses milk in his coffee.

elektra
03-08-2010, 01:17 PM
We get our milk from Rockview Farms, a local dairy 15 miles from my house (if that) and it is delivered fresh (within 72 hrs. of milking) to our house every Wednesday morning.

We get our milk delivered from Rockview too! Cept we get the organic 1%. I swear the Rockview tastes better.

Andi98989
03-08-2010, 01:25 PM
Lactaid or Trader Joe's Rice Milk right now. Eventually need to see how DS handles milk (DH and I are both lactose intolerant) and figure that out.

KrisM
03-08-2010, 01:34 PM
I buy it at a local farm. They aren't organic, but are hormone and antibiotic free. It's nice and fresh and we think it tastes better. They don't deliver, but do have a drive-thru window, which is great. It's $3.50/gallon and we get 4 or 5 gallons a week.

JBaxter
03-08-2010, 01:36 PM
We buy either raw or unhomogenized whole organic milk. The organic is only .55 more a gallon than the hormone free. If they are out of the organic then we will do the hormone free.

I pay $4.99 gallon for organic unhomogenized or $4.35/gal for hormone free unhomogenized
and 6.50 gal/ organic raw

giavila
03-08-2010, 01:53 PM
We get organic.. usually from Trader Joes or from Costco. Now I'm wondering if the hormone and antibiotic free will suffice. With 3 kids drinking milk now the organic is so expensive!

niccig
03-08-2010, 01:59 PM
TJ's rbst/hormone/antibotics free milk 2% gallon for DS, skim for DH and I.

gordo
03-08-2010, 02:02 PM
Organic whole milk for DD#2
Organic 2% for DD1 and DH
Lactaid for me
We usually have at least 6 half gallons of milk in our fridge at any given time! Can't wait until DD2 is on 2% so we can go back to buying only 2 brands.
We usualy buy Stonyfield farm or Horizon - which ever is on sale.

ciw
03-08-2010, 02:02 PM
With milk , I buy either a local brand that is hormone-free or organic (store-brand organic or Horizon, despite the concerns about how 'organic' Horizon really is). I pay $4.50 to $5.50 a gallon, depending on what I buy and where I buy it. With yogurt, I buy either a store-brand that's hormone-free or Stonyfield. But I have a lot of problems finding hormone-free cheese where I live. The stores here sell Kraft "natural" cheese, some of which is hormone free -- but they only sell the shredded variety and DS loves to eat cubed cheese. The only choice I've found for that is Organic Valley -- which is $4-$5 for half a pound and the types of cheese available are limited. I have yet to find an organic, pasteurized mozarella cheese here. I'm really curious whether those of you in other parts of the country have better luck finding a good variety of hard cheeses, cream cheese, cottage cheese, etc. that are hormone-free. Are there any other national brands of hormone-free cheese I should be on the look-out for?

AnnieW625
03-08-2010, 02:05 PM
We get organic.. usually from Trader Joes or from Costco. Now I'm wondering if the hormone and antibiotic free will suffice. With 3 kids drinking milk now the organic is so expensive!

I honestly only see the difference between organic and hormone free when I buy milk in the glass bottle, vs. the paper carton or plastic jug, however I know that everyone's taste buds are different. Try the TJ's regular milk and see if you notice a difference. Try Rockview Farms or Altadena and see if delivery is available in your area. I also think Swiss Dairy has delivery in Socal too, but I am not 100% sure.

kijip
03-08-2010, 02:07 PM
http://www.organicvalley.coop/products/milk-and-cream/whole/pasteurized-128-oz-4/

That's what we get, usually from Amazon Fresh. It's $6.29. It works for us.

arivecchi
03-08-2010, 02:13 PM
Anyone know much about the Lucerne brand?

JElaineB
03-08-2010, 02:18 PM
I buy Farmer's All Natural Creamery organic whole milk (http://www.farmersallnaturalcreamery.com/products/wholemilk.html). It is from local farms from grass-fed cows and is vat-pastuerized and non-homogenized. They also label the same milk as a store brand that I also buy (same milk, different label).

giavila
03-08-2010, 02:20 PM
I honestly only see the difference between organic and hormone free when I buy milk in the glass bottle, vs. the paper carton or plastic jug, however I know that everyone's taste buds are different. Try the TJ's regular milk and see if you notice a difference. Try Rockview Farms or Altadena and see if delivery is available in your area. I also think Swiss Dairy has delivery in Socal too, but I am not 100% sure.

Thanks! Dh and I don't drink too much milk.. it's mostly for the girls who drink LOTS and I don't think they would notice a difference in taste. So is pesticide residue not a concern with milk? I thought that was the difference between the organic and the hormone/antibiotic free milk.

cdlamis
03-08-2010, 02:29 PM
Are there any other national brands of hormone-free cheese I should be on the look-out for?

We usually buy Tillamook cheese (shredded and blocks) which was hormone free before the other brands jumped on the bandwagon (which makes a difference for me). Most of our grocery stores carry it including Costco.

muskiesusan
03-08-2010, 02:42 PM
Are there any other national brands of hormone-free cheese I should be on the look-out for?

When Kroger switched their house brand milk to hormone free I emailed the company to see if it this extended to their cheeses as well. The response back was that they were only working with dairy farmers who were hormone free and therefore all dairy product under the Kroger label would be hormone free as well.

I guess it comes down whether you trust this information or not, since milk is the only product that has a special label on it stating this status.

AnnieW625
03-08-2010, 02:42 PM

In California I believe it's rBST free and not that much cheaper than the O Organics line so I just splurge on the O Organics line if I am at Vons and need milk. It's just Safeway's house brand and it's probably next to impossible to find out where it comes from. I assume a dairy in the midwest.

If I remember tonight when I get home I'll have to take a photo of the cap of my milk as I can't remember the exact wording and I'll post it here.

Here are some links that might help in regards to finding rBST free milk:
http://www.greenrightnow.com/kgo/2008/02/28/got-rbst-free-milk/
http://www.organicconsumers.org/rbghlink.cfm

smiles33
03-08-2010, 03:37 PM
We usually buy Stonyfield farm or Horizon - which ever is on sale.

I used to buy the store brand organic milk but switched because we wanted the plastic screw top lid on the carton, instead of just the paper carton that doesn't seal shut. DD1 is the only one who drinks milk right now so she can barely finish a carton, which is the smallest size our grocery store carries for organic milk. Thus, we want it sealed well since we keep it a week and then toss it.

arivecchi
03-08-2010, 04:08 PM
In California I believe it's rBST free and not that much cheaper than the O Organics line so I just splurge on the O Organics line if I am at Vons and need milk. It's just Safeway's house brand and it's probably next to impossible to find out where it comes from. I assume a dairy in the midwest.

If I remember tonight when I get home I'll have to take a photo of the cap of my milk as I can't remember the exact wording and I'll post it here.

Here are some links that might help in regards to finding rBST free milk:
http://www.greenrightnow.com/kgo/2008/02/28/got-rbst-free-milk/
http://www.organicconsumers.org/rbghlink.cfm Thanks Annie. That is what we buy and it does say rBST free on the label. Thanks for the links as well!

MommyAllison
03-08-2010, 09:51 PM
For DS, we buy local non-homogenized whole milk. For the rest of us, Organic Valley nonfat milk. We love Tillamook cheese and ice cream!

mommytotwo
03-08-2010, 09:55 PM

We do the same. We drink skim milk.

mommylamb
03-08-2010, 09:55 PM
We get store brand at either Giant or TJs. I prefer TJs because it's cheaper. I never buy organic. Both the Giant and the TJs store brand are from cows not treated with hormones.

I'm not a huge organic buyer, but if I were to spend the extra $$ on organic, it would be for organic veggies. I have nothing to base this on at all, it's just what I would do.

icunurse
03-08-2010, 10:00 PM
We did delivery (www.oberweis.com) for a while, but it is a bit pricey....but sooo good.

Now we get the hormone/antibiotic/rbst free from Costco. Skim and 2%. Just this past week it was $1.78/gallon.

Honestly, I haven't heard/read enough to sway me to organic milk and the steep prices.

citymama
03-08-2010, 10:04 PM
First choice: organic milk, from TJs or Safeway (their store brands) where the org milk gallons are in the $6 range.
Second choice: rGBH and hormone free Clover milk (non-organic) from our neighborhood grocery store, about $4.50 a gallon
Third choice: whatever's available at the corner store or organic milk at overpriced natural food store in our neighborhood if we are stuck!

Always buy 1 percent for the whole family.

maestramommy
03-08-2010, 10:25 PM
I buy the store brand of either my local grocery chain (Hannaford, Stop and Shop) or Trader Joes. They are all rbst free.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
03-08-2010, 10:34 PM

I know Lucerne cheese is all vegetarian!

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
03-08-2010, 10:35 PM
First choice: organic milk, from TJs or Safeway (their store brands) where the org milk gallons are in the $6 range.
Second choice: rGBH and hormone free Clover milk (non-organic) from our neighborhood grocery store, about $4.50 a gallon
Third choice: whatever's available at the corner store or organic milk at overpriced natural food store in our neighborhood if we are stuck!

Always buy 1 percent for the whole family.

I miss Clover milk.:waving4:

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
03-08-2010, 10:37 PM
Organic 1%, mostly for my coffee, DD drinks a little. Then either rice or almond milk, which is mostly what DD drinks.

lalasmama
03-09-2010, 12:08 AM

We have tons of Lucerne in our fridge :) Its our favorite. La has to drink a nutrition shake, and it tastes just like ice cream with Lucerne milk, so we have always bought it. It doesn't seem to spoil quickly, the heavy cream (ingredient in La's shakes) tastes fantastic too. Every once in a while we will buy something else, and regret it when it just doesn't taste "right".

MelissaTC
03-09-2010, 12:24 AM
I buy Stonyfield orangic skim for M and me. DH won't touch milk. I buy a half gallon carton for around $3.50.

wifecat
03-09-2010, 12:28 AM
I find the milk discussion fascinating. DD isn't drinking cow's milk yet, but we were buy Horizon Organic whole and fat free (for dh and I, respectively) and now we're buying Costco's Kirkland Organic Whole Milk.

klwa
03-09-2010, 07:53 AM
Store brand. Full of hormones & non-organic. :) Although, I used to love drinking milk at my grandmother's house becuase she got it straight from the dairy holding tanks. No pasteurization, full fat. Yum....

Beckylove
03-09-2010, 10:46 AM
For me: Walmart (Great Value) skim milk $2.68/gallon -- it is rbgt free

For the boy: Walmart Organic whole milk $3.24/ 1/2 gallon it is always $.50 cheaper than Horizon

trales
03-09-2010, 11:11 AM
It is really cool. Turns out my organic store brand is made by the Hood plant in New York.
http://whereismymilkfrom.com/

Avispa
03-09-2010, 11:22 AM
we get the hormone free 1% milk for us (DH and myself, we drink a lot of home made decaf lattes), and DD gets organic whole milk, whatever brand is cheapest when I buy.

arivecchi
03-09-2010, 11:34 AM
It is really cool. Turns out my organic store brand is made by the Hood plant in New York.
http://whereismymilkfrom.com/ Very cool! Mine comes from Waukesha, WI.

khalloc
03-09-2010, 12:10 PM
Non-organic store brand milk made from cows not treated with hormones. Sometimes I get HOOD if its significantly cheaper. Usually I try to buy Booth Brothers since it doesnt have hormones and comes from Vermont and I live in Vermont. I like to try to buy from VT farmers even if I am at a large grocery store.

Tondi G
03-09-2010, 12:58 PM

non organic means they could still be treated with antibiotics though right? They just don't have bovine growth hormones.

sunriseiz
03-09-2010, 02:31 PM

silly question...how can you tell? where do you shop? this is what i'd LIKE to get....

daisymommy
03-09-2010, 02:35 PM
Used to buy either Organic Valley organic milk, or Whole Foods store brand organic. I whole-heartedly believe in the Organic Valley farm brand and the group of family farmers that supply them their milk (which then goes into Stoneyfield's yogurt by the way). I think Whole Foods has some really great standards for their suppliers as well (not perfect--but better than most larger chains or companies).

Now we are on a tighter budget, and have cut back to store brand hormone free milk.

Just an FYI...in order for it to be organic, it has to be (by law) hormone free. It's just a given as part of the organic standards, even if it's not written on the label :wink2:

And by hormone free, we are talking about synthetic hormones being given to the cows...not the natural hormones that their bodies make.

Leeannpk
03-09-2010, 03:00 PM
http://whereismymilkfrom.com/

Very cool - I put in the code from a gallon of milk from Aldi. I was reluctant to buy milk from them again because it doesn't state on the label that it is hormone/antibiotic free, but when I entered the code I found out it's from a local (the next town over) distributer, and ALL the milk they distribute is hormone and antibiotic free. They are in the process of printing new labels to reflect that.

As a side note - If I were in a position to afford it, I would absolutely go 100% organic for dairy. Although hormone free/antibiotic free milk comes from cows not directly treated with those things, pretty much every non-organic cow in the USA eats genetically modified corn and soy feed that was treated with pesticides. We are not only what WE eat - we are what we EAT eats. The fat in cows (and in their milk) holds onto concentrated levels of these toxins, increasing our exposure. Organic cows receive organic feed - eliminating their exposure to GMOs and pesticides. If I had to pick one thing for my milk and cheese loving family to eat organic, that would be it. I wish it were more affordable :(. Michael Pollan's books The Omnivore's Dilemma and In Defense of Food both offer compelling arguments for the importance of eating organic dairy and meat.

o_mom
03-09-2010, 03:15 PM
non organic means they could still be treated with antibiotics though right? They just don't have bovine growth hormones.

This (http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=241263) previous thread had some good info, IMO, on antibiotics in dairy.

LBW
03-09-2010, 03:21 PM
As a side note - If I were in a position to afford it, I would absolutely go 100% organic for dairy. Although hormone free/antibiotic free milk comes from cows not directly treated with those things, pretty much every non-organic cow in the USA eats genetically modified corn and soy feed that was treated with pesticides. We are not only what WE eat - we are what we EAT eats. The fat in cows (and in their milk) holds onto concentrated levels of these toxins, increasing our exposure. Organic cows receive organic feed - eliminating their exposure to GMOs and pesticides. If I had to pick one thing for my milk and cheese loving family to eat organic, that would be it. I wish it were more affordable :(. Michael Pollan's books The Omnivore's Dilemma and In Defense of Food both offer compelling arguments for the importance of eating organic dairy and meat.

I agree with this 100%. I buy hormone-free milk now, and we're buying 6 gallons a week. If we were only buying 2-3 gallons, I wouldn't hesitate to buy organic.

DrSally
03-09-2010, 03:54 PM
silly question...how can you tell? where do you shop? this is what i'd LIKE to get....

It should say in small letters somewhere on the front of the package. "Made with milk not treated with rBst..."

sunriseiz
03-16-2010, 12:38 PM
It should say in small letters somewhere on the front of the package. "Made with milk not treated with rBst..."

Sigh...my costco milk doesn't say anything :( I will have to check out http://whereismymilkfrom.com/ when i have a chance.

DrSally
03-16-2010, 01:40 PM
Sigh...my costco milk doesn't say anything :( I will have to check out http://whereismymilkfrom.com/ when i have a chance.

I don't have a carton right now, but the milk from my costco is Rbst free, so I thought that was true of all costco's