PDA

View Full Version : My Oscar thread! (Pics fixed!)

elektra
03-08-2010, 04:20 PM
First of all I did not see George. I mean I could see the back of his head from my seat and I saw him on stage but I did not see him up close. But that really did not put a damper on things. I did literally brush elbows with several other folks though!
You guys, it was SO fun.
When we first got out of the limo I almost felt nervous because all of a sudden you emerge into the light and everyone is staring, trying to see if you are famous. And right as we got out, Penelope Cruz was walked right by and so all the cameras rushed up and everyone was shouting her name. My first thought, "she is gorgeous but kinda soft!" She looked so beautiful but normal at the same time. Like I could see the little small pox vax scar on her arm. She was so nice, waving to the opposite side of the stands to where the fans were. Not everyone did that- most just stuck to the paparazzi side. She is my new favorite.
Then I saw Molly Ringwald right after Penelope. Tough act to follow, but Molly looked OLD. And not cute at all.
So then we all get shuffled into the first part of the red carpet and everyone is just together there. That part went pretty fast. Then we went into this tent where they put the big stars off to the left and the "regulars" in the main part. There were way more regulars.
So at that point I was next to Miley Cyrus and Morgan Freeman, but on the opposite side of the rope. But then I turned around and right behind me in the "regular" line was Katherine Erbe (sp?) from Law and Order SVU.
So after the tent we emerged into I guess what was the main red carpet. The stars were all along the left with the photographers and interviewers in the stands. Then I was on the other side of the velvet ropes walking along. I should have Tivo'd the E coverage to see if I could see myself walk by anyone in back. :tongue5:
This is where I saw a ton of the people up close being interviewed:
Lenny Kravitz- love him
Maggie Gyllenhall and Peter Saarsgard
Mo'Nique
Diane Krueger
Jake Gyllenhal
James Cameron
Cameron's wife - she is a skelton. nasty
Sandra Bullock and Jesse James. Her dress was amazing. Fanciest one I saw in person. DH blurts out from right behind her, "OMG she is so tiny and skinny!" I mean many of them look thinner in person obviously. But DH was like, "I thought she was a small Asian girl," I think because she was so petite and skinny and had the long dark hair, that we at first only saw from the back.

... a bunch more, trying to remember them all
so then we got to a point where both the lines merged and then from there on out it was just one big mingled cocktail party. I walked right by Jeremy Renner. It looked like he was posing for pics with his mom, maybe?
We were also very near the young girl from Up in the Air. Don't know her name.
And then we were right behind Sigourney Weaver. I really liked her dress. It had a train though and DH and I were snickering about what would happen if we stepped on it. So then we got to a point where she was right beside us and then DH totally cut her off to grab a glass of champagne. I said, "DH watch out!" and she gave him some stink eye. I tried to convey a look to her that said, "from one tall woman to another, I apologize on behalf of my vertically challenged husband :D" DH and I just laughed after.
So then in the bathroom line I was right by Jane Seymour and then Sigourney again (sorry!). Sigourney was talking to her female companion about her train more, and they were both a bit concerned that it was going to get stepped on but Sigourney was like, "well as long as no one gets too close it should be fine." That voice!
I also was right in front of someone I chatted with for a minute who I later saw on stage getting an award for something.
So more sightings at the cocktail party:
Guy Pearce
some older lady I sorta recognized who fetched me a water after DH asked where she got hers.
Rachel McAdams

No one was bothering the celebrities at all, like asking for pictures or asking to shake hands. I guess everyone just respected the moment (with a few exceptions of contraband phone photos).
So then the show. You were all with me then!
One thing you don't see on TV is that at the commercial breaks all the actors/biz peeps on the floor get up, walk around and visit. And then they all hustle back to their seats when they start the countdown back to the show.
Oh, and I got excited when I saw Oprah walk out. Never saw her up close though.

After the show it was on right to the Governor's Ball. And it's not Governor as in Arnold, but the Governor of the Academy I gathered.
One think I thought was kind of cool was that everyone moved along to the next stage of the event nicely. It's like you know how it's so annoying when you are at a wedding or something and everyone is staying in the cocktail area instead of moving to the dining room like they are supposed to? Well it wasn't like that. There were no "too cool for school" cocktail people it seemed like. Everyone just moved to the next thing.

So at the ball, our table was pretty close to some stars and I saw Gerard Butler there, Keanu, ...
And then on my out of the chocolate bar, they had a little station where the winners sat and had their Oscars engraved with their name. Kathryn Bigelow happened to be right there and I got to watch her get her Oscar done. It was pretty cool. I almost whipped out my phone right then ( I was super close to her), but then didn't. She really happy, and enjoying the moment. Not overwhelmed but just happy and proud.
Oh and the band was all women. Not sure if that was a tribute to Kathryn Bigelow or what.

And then walking out of the ball I saw Shari Shepard, and she was talking to one of the hurt locker actors. She was like the one person I felt like I could have said "Hi Shari!" to. But I didn't.

So then we are all piling into the elevator and the boy from Star Trek was in there (young Kirk), and then Lauren Bacall comes in and she goes in that raspy voice, "it's a dog eat dog world out there," Classic! I guess it was because everyone was seriously crowding into the elevator. So Mr. Star Trek and I were the last ones and he said, "after you" and then I thanked him. :tongue5:
We met back up with my fellow tall girl Kathryn and we walked back down the red carpet together. There was no press there so it just seemed more normal. The director from Precious came up to her and he was asking her for advice about directing I guess. I heard her answer, "you gotta just...." and then I couldn't hear the rest. Too bad!

So then we are finally at the limo area and I am sitting on a bench because at that point my dogs were really barkin'. A guy with an Oscar in his hand comes up to DH and asks him to take his picture with his phone, holding his Oscar. So DH does, and then he asks DH if he wants to hold the Oscar. So cool! It was pretty heavy I guess. This is the point where I could have totally gotten away with getting a photo with the guy with my hand on the Oscar. I blew it though. He was the cameraman for that Voice (Sounds) of Prudence movie where the producers spoke all over each other on stage.
So then we went out to the street, and I got a little eye candy at least with more Gerard Butler and Bradley Cooper.
SO then we piled into our limo, and headed home, just as everyone else was just getting their celebration started. :)

So before you get disappointed with the pics- cameras were not allowed, and anytime someone whipped out their phone to take a pic, the camera police swooped in and made people turn them off. I managed to sneak a few but there were really only a few people doing that.

(I just took the pictures down.)
-Our tickets
-DS ;)
-My fab shoes
-DH and me (told ya I was tall!). If I would have had more time, I would have searched longer for a better dress. It ended up not fitting how I wanted to. I was falling out of the top of it. It was loose and tight in all the wrong places. Oh well. I had my hair swept to the side and pinned up in places.
-DH and me in the car. Self portrait. ;)
- The inside of the theater
-Hurt Locker winning best picture
-My Oscar dessert

So there you have it!

BillK
03-08-2010, 04:24 PM
This page is private.

Oops! You don't have permission to view this page.

:(

AnnieW625
03-08-2010, 04:24 PM
Hey-- I tried to go to your flickr page and it said it was private. Glad you had a great time!

calv
03-08-2010, 04:28 PM
sounds like a blast! pics, we want pics! :D

SnuggleBuggles
03-08-2010, 04:28 PM
That sounds great!!! Chris Pine is the Star Trek guy- total cutie (was he irl?). Thanks for filling us in. Totally jealous of your glam life and thinking we need some career changes around here. :)

Beth

arivecchi
03-08-2010, 04:29 PM
Arrgh, can't see the pics here. Don't remove them! Great summary! :)

I hate you for attending the Oscars, but I hate you even more for telling me that you went to a chocolate bar. ;)

scrooks
03-08-2010, 04:34 PM
E! is rerunning the coverage right now (so I would assume they might again). Maybe you can see your self!

Momit
03-08-2010, 04:39 PM
Love the play-by-play, thanks! Especially because I didn't get to watch this year.

maylips
03-08-2010, 04:46 PM
I'm a sucker for behind the scenes stuff, so thanks for sharing. I always wondered how logistically things ran. Where were you sitting in the theater?

citymama
03-08-2010, 04:57 PM
So cool! Love your description and commentary. I want to see pics!!!! The link takes you to a private page, but even if you just post the pic of you and your DH, we'll be happy. I want to see the dress, the hair, the shoes!

I didn't figure out how you got to be a red-carpet Oscar attendee, but you go girl! :cheerleader1:

sunshine873
03-08-2010, 04:59 PM
It sounds like a magical day. What great memories for you too! So glad you had a good time and got to see so many celebs in their element. :) I sure hope we get to see some pics...the dress, the hair, the smile!!!

ett
03-08-2010, 04:59 PM
Sounds like a great night! I am soooo jealous! :)

sewarsh
03-08-2010, 05:00 PM
how the heck did you get tickets?!! that's so cool!
how did rachel mcadams look in person? i thikn she's so cute.

Globetrotter
03-08-2010, 05:05 PM
:bighand:

What fun! I want pictures!!

I loved how Clooney spent time with the regular people behind the fence :)

My first thought was.. good thing it was her and not me reporting back because I wouldn't remember half the names of the stars (assuming I knew them in the first place!).

Bens Momma
03-08-2010, 05:27 PM
WOW!!!!! So glad it was as magical as I imagined it would be for you! Thanks for the detailed description, so fun for those of us "commoners" who will probably never get a chance to attend something like this.

I totally think I saw you in the background behind Jeremy Renner!!!! I was looking for you and thought I saw you (recognized the dress) walking and then looking over your back as he was posing and being interviewed! BTW was there anyone who seemed like a total PITA or way too self-absorbed? What did Gerard Butler look like in person?

Thanks again for the fun description and so glad you had a great time!
R.
Momma to 2 ACTIVE DS :bouncy::bouncy:

Twoboos
03-08-2010, 05:40 PM
OMG, how did you hold it together!? I'd probably be bawling like a high school girl from seeing all these people.

You stood next to Chris Pine, Star Trek Boy. You saw Gerard Butler and Keanu. I would have just asked someone to shoot me, there is no getting better than that, LOL!!

BTW - I was thinking the same thing about James Cameron's wife -if she looked that scary on TV w/the 10 extra lbs, she must have looked frightening IRL.

Please let us in to see the pics!!! Dying to see your shoes/dress. :)

veronica
03-08-2010, 05:45 PM
Lenny Kravitz???????? I would have been arrested for tackling him to the ground!!

So awesome.

I just created a flckr account just to see your pics and it's private! ahhhhhhh

so glad you went and that you had a great time!

kristenk
03-08-2010, 06:18 PM
I will admit that I'm sooo NOT an Oscars viewer, but I've been waiting for this thread all day! :) It sounds like you had a fabulous time!

(I'm another one who gets the private message when I try to view your pics.)

alirebco
03-08-2010, 06:23 PM
wow, very cool! can't wait to see the pics once they're public!

elizabethkott
03-08-2010, 06:24 PM
AAAAAAHHHHHHH! SO jealous!!!!!
Sounds like you had such a wonderful time!!!!!

lchang25000
03-08-2010, 06:41 PM
Aww...sounds like you had an incredible time. Will you and your husband be invited every year to this? That would be so awesome!

KrisM
03-08-2010, 06:56 PM
Sounds great! Can't wait to see the pics!

ThreeofUs
03-08-2010, 08:01 PM
Sounds fabulous! I'm dying to see the pix!

ETA: WOW!!! You look absolutely WONDERFUL! (And those are great shoes, a lovely DH and a veryvery cute DS, too!)

kochh2
03-08-2010, 08:13 PM
wow!! sounds like a wonderful night!! i'm with everyone else, How'd you get tickets???

Melaine
03-08-2010, 08:22 PM
I reeeeaaally want to see pictures!!! You did such a good job telling the story with lots of details. What a fun experience. My jaw dropped when I read that your DH got to hold the Oscar!!! WHOA!!!

elektra
03-08-2010, 08:30 PM
Sorry you guys. I just fixed the pictures. I have been laying down all day. I think I have food poisoning. All the voodoo darts you threw at me must have worked. ;)
I thought it might just be a little hangover but I am having some non-hangover issues and I'll leave it at that.
It ain't pretty over here but I have no regrets (cept maybe the smoked salmon)!

arivecchi
03-08-2010, 08:34 PM
You looked gorgeous! Gosh, I wish I were that tall and statuesque! Love the shoes. ;) The dress looked amazing on you!

Melaine
03-08-2010, 08:34 PM
Oh my goodness....I'm sorry you are sick! Love the pictures. Feel better soon.

arivecchi
03-08-2010, 08:35 PM
Sorry you guys. I just fixed the pictures. I have been laying down all day. I think I have food poisoning. All the voodoo darts you threw at me must have worked. ;)
I thought it might just be a little hangover but I am having some non-hangover issues and I'll leave it at that.
It ain't pretty over here but I have no regrets (cept maybe the smoked salmon)! :( Feel better soon!

pinkmomagain
03-08-2010, 08:38 PM
You look stunning!!!! How fun...thanks for sharing!

sunshine873
03-08-2010, 08:42 PM
You are stunning! OK, maybe not today since you're not feeling good, but your Oscar pictures are gorgeous. And the dress was beautiful. I would have stuck out like a sore thumb with all the Hollywood type, but you & DH totally look like you belonged there! :bighand:

citymama
03-08-2010, 08:48 PM
You look gorgeous! Beautiful dress - I *think* I might have seen a flash of that dress on the red carpet on TV - I was looking out for it (and you)!

So tell us again how you got to be there? And tell your DH we think he is lucky to be married to someone so glamorous! ;)

smiles33
03-08-2010, 08:49 PM
You do look stunning! What a great adventure (at least up until the food poisoning part). Thanks for sharing!

elektra
03-08-2010, 08:55 PM
So tell us again how you got to be there? And tell your DH we think he is lucky to be married to someone so glamorous! ;)

citymama- my new best friend! ;)
DH got tickets through work. He really does not do anything glamorous or in the entertainment industry. He works in advertising. So sometimes we get invited to cool stuff because the company DH works for spends a lot of money in advertising, and he is one of the main people deciding how that money is to be spent. (So no we did not pay $750 / a piece for those Governor's Ball tickets!)
ABC invited us. I sat next to some ABC guy and his wife, and she told me she has been 14 times. She was totally still star struck though and wanted to walk around.

TwinFoxes
03-08-2010, 09:06 PM
This post totally made my day! I was stuck at the frickin' DMV with the girls, and it was as nightmarish as you might think. Reading this now that I'm home was so fun, and seeing the pics is great. You looked FABULOUS! :thumbsup: Great hair. And those were some kick-a** shoes! I'm glad you had a blast. I saw Molly Ringwald on the red carpet, I'm going to go back to my Tivo and see if I can see you!!

Pennylane
03-08-2010, 09:16 PM
You looked gorgeous! Glad you had an amazing night.

Ann

WatchingThemGrow
03-08-2010, 09:18 PM
Yeah, I totally would have mistaken you for a star if I'd seen you. What movie was she in??? And your DH looks like a really fun guy too. Thanks for sharing. I may even dream about going to the show myself now that I've read about your experience.

boolady
03-08-2010, 09:27 PM
Absolutely gorgeous! Sorry you're not feeling well...thanks for sharing the experience and the photos.

vludmilla
03-08-2010, 09:32 PM
Wow. You looked fabulous! It sounds like it was a lot of fun. I'm glad you went and made some good memories!

liz
03-08-2010, 10:14 PM
Wow, thanks for sharing your experience! Loved the dress, you looked beautiful.

Sweetum
03-08-2010, 10:30 PM
You look fantabulous!! I was soooo excited to see you entire post that I started bragging to DH that I "know" someone who's been to the oscars :D

Hope you're feeling better...

-SunshineAndMe

maestramommy
03-08-2010, 10:32 PM
Wow, you look totally FAB!:bighand:

oneplustwo
03-08-2010, 10:33 PM
Reading your post and seeing the pics are just the coolest thing ever. Sooo fun to hear about your experience. And your dress . . . what do you mean it doesn't fit right? You ROCK that dress. I love flowing material like that, and it's just so beautiful on you. ITA with a PP, you fit right in with the glamorous crowd there.

I can't decide on my favorite photo. Probably the dessert, LOL. Were those blue lights under the dessert?? And is that your pretty clutch bag, all sparkly silver stripes on the table?

amandabea
03-08-2010, 10:38 PM
wow - you looked gorgeous. glad you had a good time. thanks for sharing with all of us

MamaMolly
03-08-2010, 10:42 PM
OMG that is cooler than cool!

Was it my imagination or did the dessert glow? How did they do that? Neat!

You look so great, too! Love the dress, the hair, the shoes! And your date wasn't shabby either. ;)

Thanks for sharing, it was really fun to read the play by play. So exciting!

Twoboos
03-08-2010, 11:02 PM
OMG!!! You looked fabulous and I totally agree that you fit right in - looked like a movie star!!

Even the invites were so cool... and that dessert, WOW! My girl scout cookies aren't that cool, LOL!

Thank you for sharing and letting us "live" the experience through you!!

LexyLou
03-08-2010, 11:04 PM
So awesome!! You looked beautiful!

I'm late to the game though. How did you get to go to the Oscars?

jenfromnj
03-08-2010, 11:07 PM
You really looked fab! It looks and sounds like you had a great time, I'm so jealous!

KpbS
03-08-2010, 11:08 PM
You guys were stunning! What a fun memory.

bubbaray
03-08-2010, 11:09 PM
So much FUN! You look awesome!!!

jgenie
03-08-2010, 11:21 PM
Wow - what an exciting night you had!!

mommyp
03-08-2010, 11:22 PM
Thanks for sharing, that sounds amazing! Glad you had fun and hope you're feeling better soon.

misshollygolightly
03-08-2010, 11:35 PM
I've had so much fun living vicariously through your Oscar posts! Thanks for sharing!!! :bighand:

kozachka
03-09-2010, 12:07 AM
Thanks for sharing your experience. I had fun reading you commentary. And you look fabulous in your dress and shoes!

StantonHyde
03-09-2010, 12:29 AM
Awesome commentary--I live for behind the scenes stuff. And ditto on the You look stunning!! (Although as good as the dress looked, I LOVED the shoes. Wowzers!! Actually, I am impressed that you lasted as long as you did in the shoes. I would have been in my Birkenstocks! :rotflmao:)

MontrealMum
03-09-2010, 12:38 AM
I just came back to see if the pics were fixed and WOW! You looked amazing!!! Gorgeous dress and shoes!!! I'm so sorry you're not feeling well, and hope it resolves itself soon.

dcmom2b3
03-09-2010, 12:55 AM
O Goddess clad in cobalt and beautifully (if ultimately uncomfortably) shod, your account of that evening has brought delight to me, bound in yoga pants planted on the couch as I am.

(I could probably make that sound better if I could actually translate it it into Latin poetry, but I'm too lazy. And Greek? fuggedaboutit.)

You looked beautiful! Thank you for sharing your first-hand experience (b/c I live vicariously, you know).

gatorsmom
03-09-2010, 01:07 AM
I'm so glad you had a fantastic time. I was straining my eyes to see if I could find you on the red carpet before show. I'll have to go back and look again. I Tivo'd it! It's fun to say I kind of "know" someone who was there. :)

Thank you for the pictures and the commentary. It was so fun to read. And you looked so beautiful in your gown. What a fun, extraordinary night! thank you for sharing!

JTsMom
03-09-2010, 08:08 AM
You looked gorgeous!!!! Thanks so much for sharing the pics and the story. Next best thing to being there. :)

jayali
03-09-2010, 09:19 AM
You looked amazing! The dress was STUNNING and the shoes were fabulous. It sounded like you had an awesome time, so in the end maybe it was worth the food poisoning. Thanks for taking one for the team!

jse107
03-09-2010, 09:39 AM
Amazing! You looked beautiful and so elegant! What a fun thing to read this morning!

calv
03-09-2010, 09:40 AM
so GORGEOUS! Fun, fun, fun! Sounds like a dream DATE w/DH! So cool he got invited through work. :D THANKS so much for sharing. I'm giddy and excited reading & seeing everything about the big night.

I hope you're feeling better today!!!!!!!!!!!

ECMom
03-09-2010, 12:38 PM
I think this is the coolest thread ever on this board.

AnnieW625
03-09-2010, 12:43 PM
Thanks for sharing! Love those shoes, and the dress! I might just have to borrow them:) Your makeup looks nice too, what did you end up doing?

Carrots
03-09-2010, 01:01 PM
SO COOL!!!! Thanks for sharing!

catpagmo
03-09-2010, 01:03 PM
I've had so much fun living vicariously through your Oscar posts! Thanks for sharing!!! :bighand:

:yeahthat:
Sounds like such an amazing time! You looked beautiful! Love the dress!

zoestargrove
03-09-2010, 01:07 PM
what a fun experience! I'm not normally one who is star struck - but I really enjoyed your play by play of the night. It was fun living vicariously through you for a few moments and getting a glimpse behind the scenes.

You looked beautiful too!!

elektra
03-09-2010, 01:25 PM
I finally had a chance to watch some of the red carpet coverage and I did see DH and myself. We are in the background as Penelope is getting out of her limo, but you can only see DH, not me. He is excited to be photographed right next to her and was teasing that he wants to get a freeze frame of the video and blow it up. I think he was not completely kidding actually.
I could see myself walking in behind Monique at the Governor's Ball.
DH is also getting a DVD from E! he said.

Thanks for all the compliments. :) It was a great night.

Globetrotter
03-09-2010, 01:38 PM
OOOOHHHHH, you're looking fabulous! And you saw yourself on TV? :bighand:

wencit
03-09-2010, 01:39 PM
Oh my goodness, what an AWESOME experience! I'm so glad you got to do something like that, and thank you for sharing!

Nooknookmom
03-09-2010, 01:43 PM
Just let me have that dessert! I saw Wolfgang explaining the chocolate Oscar figurines to someone on Fox earlier that morning. She took a bite and my mouth has been watering ever since.

Glad u had fun!

mom2binsd
03-09-2010, 04:39 PM
You looked better than many of the stars- stunning! Thanks for letting all of us share it!!!