PDA

View Full Version : Peg Perego Vela Stroller Reviews Anyone?

elissas
03-08-2010, 11:58 PM
I was pretty set on City Mini and then I tried the new Peg Perego Vela stroller at Buy Buy Baby. Its a little lighter, has a bigger basket and a bit cheaper. The City Mini has a smaller fold (great for our tiny one bedroom apt.) Any feedback on the Vela?

strollerqueen
03-09-2010, 01:01 PM
OOO, what color did you see? The Vela is basically an updated Aria. From the little I have seen of them, I liked them.

jacksmoma
03-09-2010, 01:03 PM
i saw it irl and it did look just like the aria besides the one front wheel vs. two...nice small light stroller for the car, would not attempt to use outside much tho :)

strollerqueen
03-09-2010, 01:08 PM
Yeah, that's what I like the Aria for, indoors. Awesome canopy though! One thing I am wondering about the Vela is if the two front wheels together now make it longer than the Aria. Usually 4-wheelers are much shorter.

strollerqueen
03-09-2010, 01:08 PM
P.S. Where did you see it? Thinking about reviewing it for my Easter stroller, or maybe a Bumbleride. :)

Minnifer
03-09-2010, 01:09 PM
I am *dying* to try this out. My big question is, is it REALLY as light as the company claims it to be (nine point something pounds) or is that just a crock? :p

Any info on this point would be much appreciated! I'm considering it instead of a G-Luxe or G-Lite (I really dislike umbrella strollers generally - have a Quest and detest it, but need something super portable for NYC public transportation and cabs).

ETA: Just saw the other posts - why would you not consider it for outside?

strollerqueen
03-09-2010, 01:15 PM
I am *dying* to try this out. My big question is, is it REALLY as light as the company claims it to be (nine point something pounds) or is that just a crock? :p

Any info on this point would be much appreciated! I'm considering it instead of a G-Luxe or G-Lite (I really dislike umbrella strollers generally - have a Quest and detest it, but need something super portable for NYC public transportation and cabs).

ETA: Just saw the other posts - why would you not consider it for outside?

Oh, I totally doubt it. Companies typically list weights without canopy, basket, fabric, and sometimes even without wheels! I know I weighed my Aria at 14 pounds. I doubt the Vela is lighter. The reason the Aria isn't great outdoors is because of the small plastic wheels. Most small wheels like that are terrible outdoors, although there are a few exceptions. But of course, if you get "good" wheels, bigger and of better quality, you are going to add weight to the stroller.

jacksmoma
03-09-2010, 01:35 PM
it's a bru...the wheels are not that good for outside....i just ordered an inglesina trip for my "car" stroller and think it will handle much better than an aria/vella imo :)

Minnifer
03-09-2010, 01:39 PM
Thanks strollerqueen! Yep, that's exactly what I fear about the weight...

Re the wheels, from the pics, the size of the wheels on the Vela actually look comparable, or even a bit bigger, than the wheels on the G-Luxe, G-Lite and Quest, so I'm wondering if it would be any less comfortable than pushing those around on the NYC streets. I use my Vista when I know I won't need to fold the stroller up or squeeze into small spaces or deal w/stairs, but there are definitely times I need to be out walking for good distances with the non-Vista stroller and really want something more comfortable to push than the Quest - I kick the back of it and have to hunch over a bit to push it (I'm 5'7") and also hate that it sucks to push one-handed... I was hoping the Vela would be my miracle stroller, haha...

strollerqueen
03-09-2010, 02:42 PM
Well, ya' never know. You should be the guinea pig and try it out! :love5:

Minnifer
03-09-2010, 03:37 PM
Would love to, right after I find that money tree :wink2:. In the meantime I'll try to at least trek over to Buy Buy Baby soon to try it out IRL...

JamiMac
03-09-2010, 06:07 PM
My BRU had had the Vela for several weeks now. I really liked it and it steered well with one hand. My only concern was it was pretty tippy sideways with my DS, who's about 27 pounds. The freedom harness allowed him to lean forward, but when he did it became tippy, especially when I turned. I'm going to give it another run when I go back to BRU. It did have good headroom, but not the highest seat back. It was light, but a bulkier fold because the plastic footrest and front wheel stick out when folded. I wasn't a huge fan of the color or fabric that BRU had.

elissas
03-09-2010, 09:30 PM
So between the Vela and BJ City Mini what would you recommend Strollerqueen (or anyone)? for NYC girl who likes to go in the car too? And what is the BJ City Micro? Just saw it for the first time yesterday!

salsah
03-09-2010, 09:52 PM
So between the Vela and BJ City Mini what would you recommend Strollerqueen (or anyone)? for NYC girl who likes to go in the car too? And what is the BJ City Micro? Just saw it for the first time yesterday!

don't bother with the micro. smaller wheels, smaller canopy, heavier, fabric not as a nice . . . do i need to go on?

Suzanne74
03-15-2010, 09:26 AM
I was all set to buy the Si when I saw the Vera online. I may have to go check it out. The one reason I like the Si though because it did NOT have the floating harness. My daughter is barely 7 months and I did not want that harness so that might be a dealbreaker for us.

Does the Vera really fold one hand and easily? It states it is a springboard mechinism so I am not really sure who the fold is? I found a picture online and it looked pretty compact, just not sure how it got that way. One of the big selling points on the Si for me was that I could fold it one hand without bending over and it stands on it's own - so that way I could hold the baby and do it. I wanted to get the Bumbleride Flite so bad but it has that same fold as the Maclaren/typical umbrella stroller and it annoys me to bend down to the street. Hard with a young one in tow and it gets parts of the stroller dirty. I wish more strollers had the zippy/si folding style. It is by far my favorite.

has921
03-25-2010, 07:54 PM
Please review the Flite, Strollerqueen! Was just checking it out on the Bumbleride website and it looks awesome. I was all set to buy a new Triumph but now I think I am going to wait a few weeks. Would love to hear what you think!!!

strollerqueen
03-27-2010, 02:52 AM
Please review the Flite, Strollerqueen! Was just checking it out on the Bumbleride website and it looks awesome. I was all set to buy a new Triumph but now I think I am going to wait a few weeks. Would love to hear what you think!!!

Okie Dokie! :D

abrautigan
05-17-2010, 02:28 PM
I purchased the Peg Perego Vela Stroller a few months ago for my 1 year old. We used it outside primarily--even took it to Disney for a week. The front wheel was constantly getting stuck. It folded easily and was very light (not sure if it was 9 lbs but it was easy to carry in one arm). I also really liked how it looked--I received compliments all the time. But the WORST thing about the Vela is that it is too light and the single front wheel doesn't offer any balance support. My son was 13 months old, about 25 lbs, and he tipped it over. He was sitting in it, wheels were locked and he was strapped in. He leaned over to the side and the Vela just crashed to the ground. Poor fella--he was bruised pretty bad but otherwise okay. I never put him in it again. Peg Perego accepted it back and refunded me my money. I would hate for this to happen to anyone else. Please consider purchasing another stroller--one that is safe!!!