PDA

View Full Version : First tricycle ...

emily
03-09-2010, 10:13 AM
Now that the snow has finally melted, can you recommend a first tricycle. We're thinking about this one or something similar for our two year old. Are there any better ones out there? Also, will this be a one season bike? Will she outgrow it by next summer?

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3436920

Thank you.

newg
03-09-2010, 11:11 PM
Dd just got this one for her 2nd birthday...so far we have it in the house as a "rocking horse" and she loves it.........we've even pushed her around the kitchen a few times. The seat is adjustable, which I really like.

http://www.fisher-price.com/fp.aspx?st=10&e=outdoorfunproduct&pid=49736

christiedavid3
03-10-2010, 01:24 PM
We have this one http://www.amazon.com/Radio-Flyer-Fold-Go-Trike/dp/B0001GBSBI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1268241769&sr=8-1 which looks very similar to the one you posted, just without the handle and canopy. I got it for $5 at a thrift store, in like-new condition. DS has loved it.

I would recommend checking Craigslist in your area as I often see trikes listed there.

ETA: my 2.5 year old learned to pedal with this trike, but now he's more interested in riding his bicycle. So, I wouldn't say he's outgrown it by size, but it's just about outgrown by development.

citymama
03-10-2010, 01:29 PM
I found the RF trike a little tippy, esp. with the handlebar, but you/your kid might have a different experience. I would say skip the Kettler unless you get the very basic Blossom or Junior model. They are just too heavy for first trikes. Your basic lightweight plastic trike will do the trick just fine. The good thing about the Kettler of course is that the kid doesn't outgrow it for a long time - got our DD her Jumbo at 2 and she still uses it at 4. But I would still recommend something lightweight and low to the ground for a first trike.

emily
03-10-2010, 04:04 PM
Citymama, did your DD have trouble with the Jumbo at 2? It's great that she still uses it at 4. I would totally spend the extra for the Jumbo.

Stupid question but when are kids usually ready for a regular bicycle w/ training wheels?

citymama
03-10-2010, 04:30 PM
Citymama, did your DD have trouble with the Jumbo at 2? It's great that she still uses it at 4. I would totally spend the extra for the Jumbo.

Stupid question but when are kids usually ready for a regular bicycle w/ training wheels?

I would really recommend the Blossom or Junior if you have a 2 yr old. Thing is, they especially enjoy it at 2-3 and the Jumbo is quite heavy at that age. On the plus side, it isn't tippy but my DD would zip around on trikes at her preschool and have a somewhat harder time with the Jumbo. (She could still get it around, but not as quickly!) The more inexpensive Kettlers may give you the best of both worlds.

I think they're ready for bikes at 4, but DD has no interest! I wanted to get her a bike for her 4th birthday but she asked for stuffed toys instead!

By 3, many people get a balance bike, which I wish we had done but didn't.

arivecchi
03-10-2010, 04:33 PM
Now that the snow has finally melted, can you recommend a first tricycle. We're thinking about this one or something similar for our two year old. Are there any better ones out there? Also, will this be a one season bike? Will she outgrow it by next summer?

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3436920

Thank you. We have this same tricycle but without the handle. We used it with the pushbar until DS1 learned how to pedal around 2.5 yrs. He still uses it although we also have a balance bike (his 3 yo bday present).

christiedavid3
03-10-2010, 04:45 PM
DS has a balance bike and a 12" bike with training wheels and rides them both at 2.5.

Kindra178
03-10-2010, 04:46 PM
The Schwinn Roadster is supposed to awesome and has been recommended on this board quite a bit. Not tippy, vintage looking and adorable. I will most likely be getting two my for my twins this September.

We have a Kettler Happy, without the air tires. It sucks. My 3.5 year old practically just learned to pedal it. It's really heavy.