PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a flotation device/vest/suit

truly scrumptious
03-09-2010, 11:50 AM
We're going to Miami next month on vacation (hooray!) and the apartment will have a pool. DS will be 18 months, and I am looking for a flotation swimsuit or vest (or other device) to help him be more independent in the water. He squirms when we hold him, and I can't imagine that'll be easy/much fun in the pool.

He has never taken swimming lessons, so we don't expect him to swim, but I don't want to have to worry about him wrestling away when in the water.

Any suggestions?

vonfirmath
03-09-2010, 12:30 PM
Get Stearns puddle jumper life jacket if it will fit your kid (my son was wearing it at 25 months and 25 pounds) http://www.amazon.com/Stearns-Puddle-Jumper-Basic-Jacket/dp/B00364E0LW/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1268152177&sr=8-13

Reyadawnbringer
03-09-2010, 12:35 PM
We have this (http://www.target.com/11608-Swimways-Baby-Spring-Float/dp/B001MXIHW2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&searchView=grid5&qid=1268152439&frombrowse=0&node=1038576&keywords=swim%20ways%20baby%20floatation&field_browse=1038576&searchSize=30&id=11608%20Swimways%20Baby%20Spring%20Float&field_availability=-2&refinementHistory=subjectbin%2Ctarget_com_age%2Cta rget_com_gender-bin%2Ctarget_com_character-bin%2Cprice%2Ctarget_com_primary_color-bin%2Ctarget_com_size-bin%2Ctarget_com_brand-bin&searchNodeID=1038576&field_launch-date=-1y&sr=1-3&searchRank=target104545&searchPage=1&field_keywords=swim%20ways%20baby%20floatation) and we love it. Except ours has a canopy. We used it last summer when DS was about 8-10mo old and we are hoping to use it again this summer. We will see though, we may have to upgrade to a vest/swimsuit type thing.

KrisM
03-09-2010, 12:35 PM
We've always used the heads up version: http://www.amazon.com/Stearns-Infant-Boating-Heads-Up-Weight/dp/B000NV9JNU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1268152442&sr=1-3, even in a pool. I like that it keeps their heads out of water.

KrystalS
03-09-2010, 01:01 PM
If you can find them the SuperSoft life jackets are the best. They don't ride up and look like the kid is being choked, I hate that and my DD always did as well. The Supersoft jackets are made by a company in Texas and aren't mass produced so they can be hard to find if you don't live in the area. They are the best jackets, whenever we vacation I always have tons of people ask me where we got DDs jacket because she looks so comfortable in it. If you can find them online an x-small is great for an average size 18mos-3yo. Small is good for 3-5yo.

kali
03-09-2010, 03:26 PM
We bought this (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018BNQCE)at Target when DS was 2. One of our best purchases EVER--he loves the water and pretty quickly was able to swim independently with it. We bought the next size up when he outgrew it and have been gradually inflating the floaties less and less. He still wears it and at 5, can just about swim without floaties.

The floaties come out, so it can just be a suit with good UV protection when not in the pool. One tip: inflate the front floatie a little bit more because it helps keep the chest/head out of the water.

niccig
03-09-2010, 04:42 PM
We bought this (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018BNQCE)at Target when DS was 2. One of our best purchases EVER--he loves the water and pretty quickly was able to swim independently with it. We bought the next size up when he outgrew it and have been gradually inflating the floaties less and less. He still wears it and at 5, can just about swim without floaties.

The floaties come out, so it can just be a suit with good UV protection when not in the pool. One tip: inflate the front floatie a little bit more because it helps keep the chest/head out of the water.

Do you think this will work for snorkelling? We're taking DS, who is 5 to Hawaii over the summer. He wants to learn how to snorkel. DH and I are both scuba divers, and DS wants to see the fish. We bought him a mask/snorkel and he's practicing in the bath tub and later in the pool. Will this vest help him float on his belly? He can swim a little, but not enough to not fight floating on his belly. If we do snorkel, it'll be in shallow water with DH or I swimming right beside him, holding his hand.

kali
03-09-2010, 08:24 PM
Do you think this will work for snorkelling? We're taking DS, who is 5 to Hawaii over the summer. He wants to learn how to snorkel. DH and I are both scuba divers, and DS wants to see the fish. We bought him a mask/snorkel and he's practicing in the bath tub and later in the pool. Will this vest help him float on his belly? He can swim a little, but not enough to not fight floating on his belly. If we do snorkel, it'll be in shallow water with DH or I swimming right beside him, holding his hand.

I definitely think it would work--IF it fits him. They only seem to make them in toddler/preschooler sizes. DS is super-skinny, so he still fits into the 2-4 yrs size! (Not sure how that translates into small-medium-large.)

I'm impressed your DS will put his face in the water!

Melaine
03-09-2010, 08:34 PM
Get Stearns puddle jumper life jacket if it will fit your kid (my son was wearing it at 25 months and 25 pounds) http://www.amazon.com/Stearns-Puddle-Jumper-Basic-Jacket/dp/B00364E0LW/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1268152177&sr=8-13

LOVE these! We found them at Walmart.

niccig
03-10-2010, 12:46 AM
I definitely think it would work--IF it fits him. They only seem to make them in toddler/preschooler sizes. DS is super-skinny, so he still fits into the 2-4 yrs size! (Not sure how that translates into small-medium-large.)

I'm impressed your DS will put his face in the water!

My DS is tiny too. He's 5 years old and about 37 lbs. I'll look for one and see if it'll work for us.

kali
03-10-2010, 01:24 AM
It should work great for him then. We were thrilled when DS finally crossed the 35 lb mark!

The suit is nice for travel because it's inexpensive and not bulky--the floaties come out and can be collapsed. Have fun snorkeling!