PDA

View Full Version : Yellowstone in July. 4 year old & 11 month old.

rocklobster
03-09-2010, 12:17 PM
I have a single all-terrain type stroller that I love right now. However, yesterday I took both kidos out shopping at an outlet mall with grandma. My 3.5 year old wanted the stroller...so I ended up lugging my 20 pound 7 month old around.

Soooo, apparently I need a two-seater...Do I want a sit and stand of some sort for Yellowstone...or should I go with more of an all-terrain, jogger or something similar???

Any, all recommendations, links, brands, spam etc etc welcome!!!

elliput
03-09-2010, 02:18 PM
A couple years ago, I used an umbrella stroller with 6 inch wheels at Yellowstone for my DD who was 2.5 yo at the time. The only place where it was less than idea was on the sand/fine gravel around Old Faithful. It was fine for the boardwalks and trails we went on.

I would think a sit and stand would be good in your situation.

AnnieW625
03-09-2010, 02:40 PM
We used our Maclaren Triumph with DD at Yellowstone/Old Faithful when she was 15 mos. old and it worked out fine. Now if you are just going to be at Old Faithfull I would take a single and get a carrier like a Beco or an Ergo for the baby or just tell the 3.5 yr. old to walk. We just did one of the loop trails and I know that if we went again DD would want to do the same thing as it's a wooden trail. I am not familiar with the rest of the trails within the park though so I can't comment on whether or not you'll need a double. I remember my brother and sister full on walking at Yosemite and our Mammoth at that age.

Also don't forget the sun screen, bug spray, and dress in layers as it was really warm in early July. Also bring LOTS of water, and purchase food outside the park if you are just coming in for the day (which is what we did).

rocklobster
03-09-2010, 03:12 PM
We are staying in a Lodge at Mac's Inn at Island Park and then driving in. We are spending 3 days there...Upper Loop one day, Lower Loop another, maybe a night in Jackson.

I do have an Ergo & a Beco :o, but I wasn't planning on using them much because it is so hot in the summer.

Hmmm.........Good thing I have a few months to decide :)

jacksmoma
03-09-2010, 04:07 PM
get a double jogger if you need it :) you can keep it for trips and longer days out when your 3 1/2 year old might need a spot :)

elliput
03-11-2010, 12:06 PM
We are staying in a Lodge at Mac's Inn at Island Park and then driving in. We are spending 3 days there...Upper Loop one day, Lower Loop another, maybe a night in Jackson.

I do have an Ergo & a Beco :o, but I wasn't planning on using them much because it is so hot in the summer.

Hmmm.........Good thing I have a few months to decide :)

While it could be hot in July, don't count on it. I have seen fresh snow there in the middle of July. I grew up a few hours north of Yellowstone and my family is just an hour north of there now.

rocklobster
03-11-2010, 12:55 PM
While it could be hot in July, don't count on it. I have seen fresh snow there in the middle of July. I grew up a few hours north of Yellowstone and my family is just an hour north of there now.

I haven't been there in forever....my family used to go all the time when I was little. I just bought a BJ double...hopefully it works out for us :)

Thanks for your help everyone! :)

elliput
03-11-2010, 03:52 PM
Have a great time! I'm jealous!

citymama
03-11-2010, 04:36 PM
Aah, Jellystone, I am sooo jealous!

AnnieW625
03-11-2010, 05:37 PM

When we went in 2006 it was one of the hottest summers on record for that part of the state, and western Wyoming in general. I was suprised how warm it was, 80s-90s and I think it might have hit 100 once. My inlaws live in Pinedale (about an hour and a half south of Jackson Hole). Oh and if you are going to be in Jackson on 4th of July (and maybe even a couple of days after) you need to make your hotel reservation NOW they have a huge fireworks show there on the 4th and a lot of people stay there for the week (from what my in laws said, and from what we could tell traffic wise).