PDA

View Full Version : What do you all do with old worn out clothes?

jess_g
03-09-2010, 04:29 PM
I mean the ones with holes in the knees and such? They are too old to donate. But I hate to just through them out. Any ideas on what else I can do with them?

Jessica.

SnuggleBuggles
03-09-2010, 04:29 PM
I do donate in hopes that they might be repairable from someone more industrious. :)

Rags for cleaning?

Beth

Melaine
03-09-2010, 04:32 PM
I have cut them up into little scraps and stuffed them into crocheted dolls. Love to hear more ideas. Goodwill does cut up old stuff into rags so I guess that does work.

zephyr
03-09-2010, 04:52 PM
Well if you're into crafting or sewing at all you can do lots. Quilts, rag dolls, stuffed toys, etc.

jamesmom
03-09-2010, 05:10 PM
I bag them up and bring them to the recycling center. Our local recycling center recycles fabrics.

2Carol
03-09-2010, 05:16 PM
There are some great things you can make old clothes into - with very very simple sewing skills.

For example make bags to take to the market to carry home your groceries. One of the huge bonuses is that they won't look like everyone else's or carry some stupid store logo.

Lay the item flat. Often you can use the exsisting seams and hems. For example turning a pair of pants into a market bag is easy - use the waist that is already there as the top of the bag. Sew accross the bottom about where the crotch is and you've already got the bag part. The legs of the pants can be made into another bag (open up the inseam on both legs and lay them on top of each other - one leg is the front, one the back) or use the leg fabric to make a strap.

Globetrotter
03-09-2010, 09:15 PM
I have been wondering about this. We have a bunch of clothes (Hanna, Naartjie, lands end, etc...) with a tiny hole in the knee, or a small stain. I offered them to a relative as I give her hand-me-downs, and she rejected these! I couldn't believe it, because this is good stuff other than a tiny flaw. I glady accept such clothes from a friend for my ds to wear to school or play.

Granted, I gave her plenty of stuff that didn't have flaws, so maybe she didn't feel the need or appreciate how nice these items were!

A lot of charities say clothes must be in perfect condition. Do you think they would toss these? Now THAT would be sad. I was thinking of posting on freecycle, explaining the situation so someone who was handy with a needle and thread could fix them. Unfortunately, I'm useless at this, though I do try because dd;s Naartjie pants seem to develop small holes from time to time, but she used them a lot.

sariana
03-09-2010, 09:19 PM
There are a number of organizations that can use old clothes in any condition. As an example, there are organizations that help people with developmental disabilities. The clothes can be used for training (sorting, e.g.) and eventually as rags. I suppose they even are useful for training in sewing skills, though I don't know if these organizations use them in that way.

You could also try Freecycling them. Someone might need rags for stuffing a scarecrow or for costumes or for their dogs or who knows what. Even the smallest scraps can be used for quilts or as some sort of filling.

ewpmsw
03-09-2010, 09:29 PM
Many thrift stores will accept clothing with small holes or stains.

I recall reading that Goodwill and some other thrift stores sell batches of clothing that is too messed up to use. Not sure exactly what for or to whom... Something along the lines of recycling it for rags or shredded stuffing.

I've donated clothing to the state mental hospital. The patients often come in with little to no clothing and many don't have the means to purchase new stuff. Again, a tiny hole or stain here or there won't be a big deal. The place I donated to had a small program set up for patients to sort, launder and sell donated clothing to other patients in the canteen.

Churches and community centers may also be willing to accept clothing donations, esp. those who serve the homeless or people in transition. Your local United Way may be a good resource for information on organizations nearby who could put clothing donations to good use.

teedeedee
03-09-2010, 09:58 PM
DD's daycare is always looking for extra clothes so that kids can wear them home if they have an accident or get dirty and don't have any spare ones there.

wellyes
03-09-2010, 10:08 PM
I toss them.

I used to shop at Goodwill and it would bother me to see stained, clearly damaged clothes on the racks. I'm not talking about pants where the hem needs mended, I mean torn or severely pilled or with non-fashionable holes. I found it kind of insulting. There's a difference between "This doesn't fit / isn't in style anymore / I'm tired of it" and trash. I also remember someone telling me about a welfare-to-work program which asked for suit donations for job interviews and they kept getting suits with holes or stains and it just made me sad to think about that.

misshollygolightly
03-09-2010, 10:15 PM
My local animal shelter accepts clean clothes cut into rags. You might want to call your shelter and check first, but mine was happy to have them.