PDA

View Full Version : Flotation device for snorkelling

niccig
03-09-2010, 04:55 PM
DS wants to snorkel when we go to Maui. We got him a mask and snorkel, and he's practicing in the bath tub and then later on, the pool. We think we need a flotation device to help him float on his belly, without squirming. DS can swim a little, but he can only float on his back a little before fighting it.

We'll only snorkel in shallow water with one of us swimming beside DS to help him.

Any suggestions on a flotation device??? I wonder if a suit is better than a life jacket....

bluestarfish18
03-09-2010, 05:21 PM
What about a life jacket? Sometimes they come a little thinner, to allow for better stomach flotation. Try your local SCUBA shop for a variety.

niccig
03-09-2010, 05:27 PM
What about a life jacket? Sometimes they come a little thinner, to allow for better stomach flotation. Try your local SCUBA shop for a variety.

I was just thinking about a life jacket -just in case we need one from a safety viewpoint. I plan to be standing in the water by DS, holding him or his hand if he's comfortable with me not holding him. We will only snorkel in calm water, but you never know what can happen. A friend has a vest, so when it gets warmer, I'll borrow it to see if it'll work out, then we can get our own.

bluestarfish18
03-09-2010, 06:44 PM
Yey! Glad to hear it will work. If she's still not cool with floating on her stomach, you can always rent a boggie board with a window when you get on the island.

neeleymartin
03-09-2010, 07:32 PM
what about the floaties that they use at the YMCA? you can buy them cheap. they are like a belt that has a plastic clip, and it has three foam blocks. you can choose to use all three, two, or one depending on ds's level of expertise. call your local and ask. I also think this may be better than life jacket, which is designed to keep the face up. these are designed so they are worn on the back when kids are learning to swim. hth

KrisM
03-09-2010, 07:37 PM
DS wears a life jacket to snorkel. He likes to be able to just float and look and floats a lot better in the life jacket :).