PDA

View Full Version : Another "pink" question

jent
03-09-2010, 11:44 PM
So, DD has recently decided "my favorite color is pink". She has asked for pink bedding for her big girl bed, which we are planning to get her for her 3rd birthday. So far, no problem. But, way back when we bought her furniture, I was thinking gender-neutral and we bought a nice honey-brown finished set for her room. Now that I'm shopping beds & bedding, everything I see for girls' rooms is with white furniture & I'm thinking that it won't really "go" with the light brown wood that we already have. I am not good at picturing how stuff will look in my head, and I haven't found a single girls' room with anything but white furniture.

So, I'm debating whether to buy a bed that matches what we've got, or get a white bed and either paint or resell/rebuy/reuse what we have. That wouldn't actually be that bad b/c our bookcases are still unfinished (long story), so it really just amounts to changing out her dresser.

It doesn't help that I just came back from a visit to a friend that had her DD's room totally done in a beautiful PBK style & now I'm lusting after that look.

bubbaray
03-10-2010, 12:07 AM
Well, if you can afford it, personally *I* like the pink with white look. I'd probably just buy new stuff in white if it were me.

GL!

MamaMolly
03-10-2010, 12:28 AM
What about white bedding with pink accents? That way you could keep what you have (if you want to ;)) though I also love the white furniture look too.

sarahsthreads
03-10-2010, 12:39 AM
Huh. We have honey furniture for DD1 (my childhood bedroom set) and she has pink, lime green, and white with bright flowers sheet sets, and a crazy rainbow striped comforter. I would never have thought about pink not working with honey/light brown furniture...?

Sarah :)

Neatfreak
03-10-2010, 01:36 AM
It's not very often that I see pics of rooms for girls that don't have white furniture, but there's no good reason for it, really. My daughters have natural pine and natural birch furniture in their rooms, and pink linens looks perfectly fine. Why wouldn't pink and honey brown not look great together? Brown is very complimentary.

amandabea
03-10-2010, 09:07 AM
Altering the current or buying new furniture sounds like a PITA. I think you could find cute bedding to go w/ honey furniture. I do love white, but DD has espresso colored furniture since her room was previously our guest room and it looks great w/ pink.

ljackson
03-10-2010, 09:26 AM
I would just try different shades of pink next to it (maybe you have some pink clothes you could lay on it or something) and see what works.

catpagmo
03-10-2010, 10:30 AM
Huh. We have honey furniture for DD1 (my childhood bedroom set) and she has pink, lime green, and white with bright flowers sheet sets, and a crazy rainbow striped comforter. I would never have thought about pink not working with honey/light brown furniture...?

Sarah :)

I agree. DD has honey colored furniture and bedding that is white with pink polka dots. Her bedroom walls are painted pink also. It looks nice IMO. I think it gives a bit more contrast to go with a dark wood, or honey colored wood, instead of white, which is more monochromatic. The only time I think white would look better is if you were using a dark pink, or bright bink.

Jenn27
03-10-2010, 12:48 PM
I say keep what you have! We got honey colored furniture for DD and that's all she's getting. If anyone gets new furniture, it's me and DH! :)

jent
03-10-2010, 11:18 PM
I would just try different shades of pink next to it (maybe you have some pink clothes you could lay on it or something) and see what works.

Great idea.

And thanks for all the support of brown. I just have no design sense, so it helps to see some examples to figure out what will look nice. And lately, it's all white furniture for girls in the catalogs/websites I've been looking at.

As far as cost... I could always rationalize these things, but yes, the money could be spent elsewhere (our room and the guest room, namely).

WatchingThemGrow
03-10-2010, 11:24 PM
I like the idea of different pinks! FWIW, we have the white furniture, but no pink in the room. I'm not a fan of pastel pink. Maybe I mentioned that in my "giving in to the pink" thread. Of course, that's all she loves...

jent
03-11-2010, 12:11 AM
... I'm not a fan of pastel pink. Maybe I mentioned that in my "giving in to the pink" thread. Of course, that's all she loves...

Yep, I'd read your thread earlier in the day and that's what I meant by "another pink thread". I'm not a pink fan either, I have tried to steer DD away from it (we got a gender neutral trike last year when she didn't really care either way). I don't know where she gets it from- I was such a tomboy growing up! I used to protest about wearing dresses; but DD gets upset that she can't wear a dress and tights to gymnastics class.