PDA

View Full Version : s/o life vests - do you/would you make your toddler wear one to play on the beach?

mousemom
03-10-2010, 10:42 AM
We're not beach people, but are planning a beach trip soon and are wondering what people normally do. Do you have your toddler wear a life vest anytime they are in proximity to the water, like if they are playing in the sand? Or do you only put it on if you are actually going in the water? Thanks!

infomama
03-10-2010, 10:46 AM
No life vest on the beach for us.

Melaine
03-10-2010, 10:47 AM
No, I am so uptight about watching them it would be pointless. If they are in the water, yes, but if they are playing on the beach they aren't going close to the water without me. Maybe when they are older it will be different but for now I watch them like a hawk and don't let them approach the water without us.

MontrealMum
03-10-2010, 10:49 AM
No, only when he's in a boat or expecting to get into a boat. He also doesn't wear one when "swimming" or wading as I don't want him to develop a false sense of security. He's always supervised and fully understands that you don't get into any kind of boat w/o a life jacket just like you don't go biking w/o a helmet.

Leeannpk
03-10-2010, 10:51 AM
No, only when he's in a boat or expecting to get into a boat. He also doesn't wear one when "swimming" or wading as I don't want him to develop a false sense of security. He's always supervised and fully understands that you don't get into any kind of boat w/o a life jacket just like you don't go biking w/o a helmet.

This.

We are another "no life jackets on the beach" family.

mousemom
03-10-2010, 11:01 AM

This is kind of how I feel - we'll be right there with him and I don't want him to develop a false sense of security. But, DH thinks he should have a vest on just in case something happens or we are distracted and he gets away from us for a moment.

khalloc
03-10-2010, 11:01 AM
No. I wouldnt put a life jacket on my kid just to play on the beach. And I wouldnt put one on when they wade in the water either. I'm right there watching them. We do however always use them on our sailboat.

Roni
03-10-2010, 11:03 AM
No, but make sure you are always watching.

sste
03-10-2010, 11:05 AM
I totally agree with montrealmom and others about the false sense of security of lifejacket at the beach/wading/swimming - - for both kids and parents. I even have mixed feelings about "water wings" and the like for the same reason and I am hoping DS can learn to swim without them.

kdeunc
03-10-2010, 11:31 AM
No life jackets on the beach. We do put them on the kids if DH or FIL is taking them out in the waves over their head. They do wear them on the docks near FIL's boat even if they are not getting in the boat. I really don't want to have to dive into that nasty marina water! :)

Roni
03-10-2010, 11:33 AM
I am very anti- water wings b/c they can deflate. I've reluctantly caved to the idea of YMCA-approved swim bubbles, but only as a training tool. Agreed, all swim aids can give both kids and adults a false sense of security. (Now wet suits give a little extra bouyancy and keep kids warm--definitely not opposed to that.)

MamaMolly
03-10-2010, 11:47 AM
On a boat, yes. (Though DD is 3 and I still won't let FIL take her out on a boat) but she has one at his house in case I ever change my mind. ;)

At the beach either DH or I are with her all the time. I don't like a life vest for wading or playing in the sand because I think it would give me a false sense of safety. DD could easily float away which is just as scary and deadly as getting in too deep.

When we play in the water I *do* like to use a floaty ring :bag. We don't go to beaches with big waves or riptides, just a tiny little inlet cove type thing. We carry her and the ring past the little waves and she loves to float and twirl in the ring and I love having my arms free. We stay right next to each other.

BillK
03-10-2010, 11:50 AM
No - not on the beach.

arivecchi
03-10-2010, 12:12 PM
No, only when he's in a boat or expecting to get into a boat. He also doesn't wear one when "swimming" or wading as I don't want him to develop a false sense of security. He's always supervised and fully understands that you don't get into any kind of boat w/o a life jacket just like you don't go biking w/o a helmet.:yeahthat:

wellyes
03-10-2010, 12:14 PM
Boat only!

AnnieW625
03-10-2010, 12:45 PM
No life vest at the beach, but DD won't go in without either me or DH.:)

DD has never used water wings, even the first time we put her in the pool at three months old.

Life jackets are a must on a boat though and will be until our kids are at least 12 yrs. old (that's the rule at the lake we go to and it's a good one IMHO).

fauve01
03-10-2010, 12:52 PM
we live near the beach and go once a week and have never used a life vest for playing on the sand at water's edge, or for wading. We always watch. we would use a vest if we were going on a boat.

My lifeguard best friend told us NEVER to use water wings or other floaty things in the pool and we never did.

Anne

KrisM
03-10-2010, 01:11 PM
My parents have a house on a lake. I do make them wear lifevests on the beach, but that's because I have 3 kids to watch and they are in and out of the water while playing in the sand - filling buckets, etc. There is a kids slide that goes into the water, so my view is temporarily blocked as well.

The lake gets over DS1's head about 6' out. While he can swim, I don't think he swims strong enough that I wouldn't worry.

When we are at my parent's community pool, DS1 does not wear a life vest, unless he's jumping off the diving board into 9' of water (and I"m in the deep end too, but he enjoys playing with his cousins). DD wore one by choice part of the time and not part of the time.

I do understand about the false sense of security, but I just can't imagine keeping an eye on 3 young kids 100% of the time. Yes, there are other adults with me, but the kids aren't theirs and I think it would be easy enough for them to "forget" they're supposed to be watching one of my kids.

ETA: an example - I'm always out there with them, but I might be pushing DS2 in a swing while the others are building a sand castle, or making a river down the beach. Yes, I am watching, but I only have 2 eyes :)

Melaine
03-10-2010, 01:20 PM
Kris, that makes total sense and seems like a very good scenario. We only go to the beach once in awhile and it's always DH and me. If we went more often or if it were only me, I would totally do the lifejackets.

niccig
03-10-2010, 02:40 PM
No life jacket/flotation for playing on the beach or going into the water with DH and I. A boat, yes. When we go snorkeling on our next trip, yes. If I had more kids and was by myself, yes.

SnuggleBuggles
03-10-2010, 02:48 PM
If it is just me with the 2 kids then I did otherwise no. We rarely go to a beach though. We are at the pool daily and it made me feel better to have that little bit of extra protection in case he darted off quickly. Last summer, when he was 1.5, was a major challenge.

Beth

codex57
03-10-2010, 02:52 PM

:yeahthat:

If he's on the beach or swimming, we're never more than 2 feet away (arms length basically). If that.

Plus, I fail to see the reason for a life vest on the beach. That's some serious overkill there. If there are monster waves that can rip my kid out of my arms, well, my kid's not playing there. If it's regular waves, part of the fun of the beach is to feel the waves lap at your legs and I am right on top of my kid in case a stronger one knocks him down.

I can see it for multiple kids I guess. Kind of depends tho. At a lake, maybe not. At a beach, maybe. I wouldn't be too fond of being in that scenario unless the kids knew how to swim.

Roni
03-10-2010, 02:54 PM
Kris, that makes total sense and seems like a very good scenario. We only go to the beach once in awhile and it's always DH and me. If we went more often or if it were only me, I would totally do the lifejackets.

Yes--a lake house is a different story--you don't have a direct line to see everyone. Plus, someone can fall off a dock, etc. If I'm watching multiple kids, they have to either pass a swim test or wear a lifejacket.

WatchingThemGrow
03-10-2010, 03:07 PM
I'm in the same scenario as Kris, except that our kids are a couple years younger than hers. If it is just our family, we have put vests on them at the beach or around the pool at my mom's, for the same reason. Even if there are two adults, one might need to be BFing, making a snack, getting drinks or whatever, which leaves just one set of eyes for (what was last summer) a 1yo and a 3yo. As they get older and DS1 is under better voice command, it won't be necessary.

We don't wear them in the pool, but we actually did take floaties to WDW so one adult could interact with 2 kids in the pool while the other adult took care of the baby. Again, the "big kids" were 1 and 3.

rlu
03-10-2010, 03:51 PM
We don't use life vests at the beach. DS is always accompanied to the waves, otherwise he is up near us digging in the sand. Of course, we outnumbered DS so it is easy to always be with him.

When my sister was little a wave did knock her down and my mom had to chase after her as she summersaulted her way through the surf. Scared my mom - she had been right there, just couldn't grab her in time.

We set rules for DS including not going near the surf without an adult and never ever turning your back on the waves.

KrisM
03-10-2010, 03:55 PM
I'm in the same scenario as Kris, except that our kids are a couple years younger than hers. If it is just our family, we have put vests on them at the beach or around the pool at my mom's, for the same reason. Even if there are two adults, one might need to be BFing, making a snack, getting drinks or whatever, which leaves just one set of eyes for (what was last summer) a 1yo and a 3yo. As they get older and DS1 is under better voice command, it won't be necessary.

We don't wear them in the pool, but we actually did take floaties to WDW so one adult could interact with 2 kids in the pool while the other adult took care of the baby. Again, the "big kids" were 1 and 3.

Whew! I was beginning to think I was way overprotective!

With us, we are at the lake house a few times over the summer. Generally there are more adults there and I've not yet gone with just me and the kids. But, when it's the 5 of us, it's often DH on the beach with the kids and I go in to make lunch or put someone down for a nap, etc. It's getting easier as they get older, of course.

DS1 likes to snorkel and it's easier for him to play in the sand in the life vest and then just put snorkel gear on and go in rather than struggle into the life vest.

If we were going to an ocean beach on a vacation, I would probably not have them in life vests to just play in the sand or enjoy small waves.