PDA

View Full Version : Help: Buying 2" Blinds for the whole house

newmomto1
03-10-2010, 01:54 PM
We will be moving in a couple weeks.
We have been doing a lot of work to the house we are moving into and things are adding up...more than we thought (of course!).

I have an awesome company (that we used in our current home) set up to give me an estimate tomorrow for 2" blinds for the whole house.

Our plan was to do the same thing we have in our current home which is Hunter Douglas Everwoods on the first floor. And, a cheaper "look-a-like" on the second floor (bedrooms).

Question: is it worth it to try to save some $$ and go to lowes or home depot (they don't carry hunter douglas)...get something cheaper and have our handy man install them?

I feel like blinds can look really bad if they aren't good quality..and all we have experience with is what we already have.

ETA: The blinds I am referring to are a faux wood, not real....if that makes a difference :)

Any opinions or BTDT?????

TIA!!

ray7694
03-10-2010, 02:02 PM
We did this exact thing in our home. We took in a piece of the downstairs blind to match it for upstairs. You can't tell the difference at all.

clc053103
03-10-2010, 02:05 PM
We did the same thing- got the HD faux woods for upstairs. We were even able to install ourselves quite easily.

gordo
03-10-2010, 02:08 PM
we just did this at Lowes - I think it was Levolor brand or something like that. The kind that you can have cut to fit your windows. I think they look very nice and DH installed them without a problem.

GaPeach_in_Ca
03-10-2010, 02:12 PM
We did the HD cut to fit faux wood for our first house and they looked really nice. DH installed them.

We moved out 2-1/2 years ago and, from driving by, it doesn't appear the current owners have replaced any of them.

DebbieJ
03-10-2010, 02:52 PM
we ordered online--www.selectblinds.com (go through ebates) and had my dad install them. Super easy! All you have to do is measure. We did white faux wood and they looked great!

WatchingThemGrow
03-10-2010, 04:29 PM
I didn't intend to stay here forever and got the HD faux wood blinds. They were cheap, and easy to replace when one got yellowed. Knowing what I know now, I'd totally get them to install (and shorten) the blinds for me. I believe it is a ridiculously low fee (like under $125) to have the whole house done correctly.

creativelightbulb
03-10-2010, 04:40 PM
we did the same thing...

real plantation shutters downstairs and the faux wood 2" in the bedrooms...

you can not tell the difference and the savings was enormous...

we bought some from home depot but we did have to special order some of the wider ones for one bedroom and the upstairs office ...ordered from home depot online - I THINK they are the levolor nu-wood