PDA

View Full Version : Do you/how do you clean your reusable bags?

LarsMal
03-10-2010, 05:03 PM
Just when I finally started using my bags on a regular basis, the local news had to go and ruin it! There was a segment on the news the other night about the mold/yeast/bacteria in reusable bags. It was so gross!!!

I will say that I don't have them put my meat in the bag, but they do put milk in. The story showed what gross stuff is left behind to grow in your bags.

The bottom line was the bags are good, but not good forever...maybe one year.

I guess I will start wiping them out with a Clorox wipe from time to time. Besides that, they said to periodically turn them inside out, shake them out, and let the inside get some air.

Do you wash/clean your bags? Will you now?!?!?

crl
03-10-2010, 05:10 PM
I should--but don't. Three of my bags are actually mesh type bags, probably meant as swim bags. I really like those because they don't hold moisture, etc, and they are super easy to clean just by rinsing them.

Catherine

almostmom
03-10-2010, 05:17 PM
I put mine in the washing machine. I use them to pick up my CSA veggies, so they get lots of dirt in them. I turn them inside out and wash them and they come out fine. I just have bags that I have bought at the grocery store.

LarsMal
03-10-2010, 05:20 PM
I put mine in the washing machine. I use them to pick up my CSA veggies, so they get lots of dirt in them. I turn them inside out and wash them and they come out fine. I just have bags that I have bought at the grocery store.

Good to know- that's what I have, too.

citymama
03-10-2010, 05:22 PM
I throw them in the washing machine and line dry (the cotton will shrink). Works great.

infomama
03-10-2010, 05:27 PM
My bags are so old I'm thinking of replacing them. These look cool..http://baggubag.com/#Shop Lots of nice colors, strong and machine washable.

SnuggleBuggles
03-10-2010, 05:50 PM
Mine are canvas and I wash them in the washing machine. I bag my meat in a bag so it shouldn't be dripping or contaminating. Milk stays out.

Beth

m448
03-10-2010, 06:51 PM
I made mine, here they are:

http://maricucu.blogspot.com/2009/10/beautiful-new-wardrobe-of-grocery-bags.html

) but part of the reason I made them and didn't just buy the meshy pellon ones sold by all the stores is they all said hand wash, air dry. Or worse off no washing. Just not gonna happen. So I figured if I would be going cloth I'd at least make them to my specs. Mine are just like the plastic ones but supersized and in funkier prints. Every time I take them to the store they ask me where I bought them and wonder if I'll go into business but I'm not. It's not cost effective to make them for production and then still turn a profit.

I also bag my meat but the milk can go in the bag I just wash the one bag that got funky during the trip. No big deal.

mamicka
03-10-2010, 06:56 PM
I made mine, here they are:

http://maricucu.blogspot.com/2009/10/beautiful-new-wardrobe-of-grocery-bags.html

I want to be you. Seriously. :love5:

m448
03-10-2010, 06:58 PM
LOL no you don't. The stuff on my blog is after hours of overthinking that normal people according to my husband (a self professed normal) don't do. But thanks for the love anyway. :D

MommyAllison
03-10-2010, 07:50 PM
I have Chico bags, and toss them in with towels in the washer & dryer from time to time. Mine are getting pretty worn at the seams, though, so I think I'll need to replace in 6 months or so, and I hope to replace with Baggus. They must be machine washable!

teedeedee
03-10-2010, 09:36 PM
I wash them on hot with a little bleach, but on the gentle cycle. Then I hang them to dry. Works great!

Tondi G
03-10-2010, 10:10 PM
I want to be you. Seriously. :love5:

Me too! I'm joining the club! :)

Twin Mom
03-10-2010, 10:14 PM
I wash mine in the machine and hang them to dry. I have both www.envirosax.com and www.flipandtumble.com The Envirosax say to hand wash but other people I know machine washed them so I tried it and they were fine.