PDA

View Full Version : Need sheet cake help please!

mctlaw
03-10-2010, 09:40 PM
I am tackling a sheet cake for my DS's 4th birthday. I have purchased everything I need to bake and decorate it (solar system theme). However, I do not have a recipe for the sheet cake. I think the size is 11 by 17 and I have no idea how to convert a traditional recipe. I want to do yellow or white cake. Has anyone done this that can share a recipe/any tips?

I have found a number of buttercream frosting recipes on allrecipes.com but would welcome any advice on that too. I am looking for something without that greasy, too-sweet poor quality bakery taste.

Thank you in advance!

bluestarfish18
03-10-2010, 09:53 PM
11x7 and 12x8 are both standard cake pan sizes. To make things easy, you could always just buy a package of Betty Crocker cake mix and bake that. Or if you're looking for a homemade recipe, try Paula Deen's website...can't ever go wrong with Paula!

KrisM
03-10-2010, 10:24 PM
Here is what Wilton says about amount of batter for cake pan size: http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-party-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm.

I usually use a box cake mix and that's around 5-6 cups of batter. My standard pan is 9x13 and it's not quite filled with 1 box of mix, but it works well enough.

mctlaw
03-10-2010, 10:33 PM
Thank you!!!

It had not even occurred to me that a sheet cake was made of more than one layer-but if I am looking at the chart-it is presumed to be 2?

This should be fun. I'm a good cook but a very infrequent baker.