PDA

View Full Version : Moms of Curly Heads...I found a product that works!

TwinFoxes
03-10-2010, 11:23 PM
Maybe you other curly moms don't have the nightmare experience I have combing hair. Detanglers did nothing. I bought a conditioner called "Knot Today" from a brand called Kinky-Curly and it really detangled my DDs' hair! I used it after the girls' baths tonight. With S it was like night and day, for D, it wasn't quite as dramatic (she has longer and thicker hair) but it was still worlds better! It's kind of expensive, around $15 for small bottle, 8oz. But it really, really worked! Yay! I bought it at Whole Foods. I looked it up in the Skin Deep database, but it appears the company hasn't given EWG enough info to rate them. :irked: But according to the ingredients list on the bottle, it doesn't have parabens.

I can't vouch for them other than this one time using the detangler/conditioner. Well, actually I used it on myself for a couple of days to make sure I didn't break out or anything. I'm just putting it out there...I'm really hoping no one tells me it's secretly really bad. :praying:

Jo..
03-10-2010, 11:55 PM
Would love to see pics. DD's hair is really curly, and I am secretly overjoyed, but have no idea what to do with it (much less what to do with my own)!

TwinFoxes
03-10-2010, 11:58 PM
Would love to see pics. DD's hair is really curly, and I am secretly overjoyed, but have no idea what to do with it (much less what to do with my own)!

As I was posting, I was thinking "I should have taken pictures". Instead of looking all crazy fly away, it was just super curly/wavy. I should point out (for those of you who don't memorize my every word) that my kids are biracial, so their curly hair may be different than your DCs.

Jo..
03-11-2010, 12:47 AM
BTW, I sent my sister the preemie book you recommended, and she is LOVING it. Thank you!

ellies mom
03-11-2010, 01:04 AM
Thanks for the recommendation. We've been using California Baby's leave-in conditioner and that has been working but I'm always open for more idea. I'd love to see pictures too.

dcmom2b3
03-11-2010, 03:07 AM
Thanks so much for the tip, I've got to get us some of that!

citymama
03-11-2010, 03:08 AM
Awesome - thanks for the heads-up! Where did you find them - online? Yay!

funda62
03-11-2010, 05:31 AM
Thank you so much for the recommendation. D's hair is no longer curly but the texture is very hard to manage. She get's horrible knots that we literally have to cut out. We've tried so many different products and none work. Recently I picked up some Aussie 3 minute miracle and that stuff is golden! I let her wash and rinse her hair and then I go in and put in this conditioner. We wait 5 minutes and then I comb and rinse. After she gets dressed I spray her hair with the Aussie leave in and blow dry it while I comb. It's only been a week but so far so good.

TwinFoxes
03-11-2010, 07:15 AM
Yes, I found them online. I'm sure I had googled "help I'm going to shave my daughters' heads!" As they get older, and their hair gets longer combing it has just been awful. I may have found it origi ally on naturallycurly.com. They had been sold out at both Whole Foods near me for awhile, they finally just got it last week.

BTW, I sent my sister the preemie book you recommended, and she is LOVING it. Thank you!

So glad to hear this! It helped me so much, I always recommend it. I hope she and Delia are doing well!

Melaine
03-11-2010, 08:52 AM
THANK YOU OP!!!!

I've been getting that same desperation and fear of shaving as well. Things are very tangled around our house. I will totally try it.

elektra
03-11-2010, 01:34 PM
Things are very tangled around our house. I will totally try it.

I will NEVER forget your Christmas ornament hook story.
:rotflmao:

Melaine
03-11-2010, 01:37 PM
I will NEVER forget your Christmas ornament hook story.
:rotflmao:

Thanks a lot, Elektra....I had almost managed to forget that myself.....:ROTFLMAO:

Melaine
04-17-2010, 04:02 PM
So, I tried KNOT TODAY. Oh, TwinFoxes, a million thanks for this tip! This has definitely worked better by far than anything else we have tried yet. We've only used it once, but I can still see the difference a couple days later (we wash hair about twice a week). We don't have a local Whole Foods but I came across when traveling and scooped up a bottle. Has anyone tried any of the other products in the line?

TwinFoxes
04-17-2010, 05:07 PM
So, I tried KNOT TODAY. Oh, TwinFoxes, a million thanks for this tip! This has definitely worked better by far than anything else we have tried yet. We've only used it once, but I can still see the difference a couple days later (we wash hair about twice a week). We don't have a local Whole Foods but I came across when traveling and scooped up a bottle. Has anyone tried any of the other products in the line?

Oh awesome! So glad to hear. Honestly, when I posted I was thinking of you! I tried one of their products called custard I think. It was a little too thick and gooey, but it certainly wasn't the worse thing I've tried. The Knot Today was really great though. I've even used it on their dry hair, just to calm things down a bit. ;)

luza
04-17-2010, 05:21 PM
I can't vouch for them other than this one time using the detangler/conditioner. Well, actually I used it on myself for a couple of days to make sure I didn't break out or anything. I'm just putting it out there...I'm really hoping no one tells me it's secretly really bad. :praying:

DD and I are both curlies so I'm always looking for natural hair products that don't have silicones or sulfates. This line sounds promising but I googled the ingredients and it looks like it has phenoxyethanol, a preservative that a lot of "natural" beauty products have used to replace parabens. EWG lists some concerns about phenoxyethanol and rates it a 4, for whatever that is worth: http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/ingredient/704811/PHENOXYETHANOL/
Sigh.

Jo..
04-17-2010, 06:56 PM
My DD needs all the help she can get. :rotflmao:

salsah
04-17-2010, 08:43 PM
that's not bad at all. my curly haired girls are frightful. i'm sick right now so dh took them out today w/o doing their hair (it is too hard for him to do). i can't imagine what people must have thought when seeing them out and about with their big knotted bird's nest mess. unfortunately people who do not have curly hair do not understand how difficult it is. i can't tell you how many times someone has told me that i need to brush their hair. there have been times when that happened that i wised h that i had a brush with me so that i could brush the girls' hair just to show that person that brushing it only makes it worse.

i'm going to have to look for this next time i go to whole foods.

Jo..
04-17-2010, 09:03 PM
Adam came home from preschool one day and told me Ms. Regina asked if we ever brushed his hair. :3: I was livid. And his hair isn't even curly, just wavy and unruly.

luza
04-18-2010, 07:32 AM
If any of you are feeling adventurous, this website has a lot of discussions about make it at home hair products: http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21
I haven't tried it, but many people there swear by the "SMT" recipe on the website; the site also has lots of discussions about various kinds of oils that are good for hair, organic shampoo bars, conditioner only washing, washing with Indian herbs like amla, etc. They also swear that distilled water as a final rinse will make your hair really soft and less tangled. Right now DD and I are experimenting with shampoo bars by Chagrin Valley and coconut oil, which seem to be helping our dry, curly hair.

Melaine
04-18-2010, 07:46 AM
If any of you are feeling adventurous, this website has a lot of discussions about make it at home hair products: http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21
I haven't tried it, but many people there swear by the "SMT" recipe on the website; the site also has lots of discussions about various kinds of oils that are good for hair, organic shampoo bars, conditioner only washing, washing with Indian herbs like amla, etc. They also swear that distilled water as a final rinse will make your hair really soft and less tangled. Right now DD and I are experimenting with shampoo bars by Chagrin Valley and coconut oil, which seem to be helping our dry, curly hair.

Thanks! I will definitely check it out. I certainly lean toward the natural, but I have reached a point of utter desperation that makes me willing to try anything (I'm to the point of needing to cut their hair short as it is forming natural dreadlocks after a couple days).
I really like the body scrub I made with coconut oil etc. and hadn't thought to try it on their hair. We already do conditioner only washing the majority of the time.

salsah
04-18-2010, 02:10 PM
i started doing conditioner only washes for the girls' hair but since they started swimming, i feel like i have to wash their hair with shampoo to get the chlorine out. so now i only shampoo with ca baby's after swim shampoo on days that they swim. i still wonder if i could just rinse it really well to get the chlorine out.

i use coconut oil in their hair but i have to be really careful not to use too much so that it doesn't look greasy.

luza
04-18-2010, 02:39 PM
i use coconut oil in their hair but i have to be really careful not to use too much so that it doesn't look greasy.

Yeah, the oils can be a bit tricky. I usually oil heavily on dry or slightly damp hair before washing and leave it on for a couple of hours, then wash it out and finally rub a couple of drops on my hands and stroke it on the still wet hair. Some people say that a few drops of oil in a spray bottle of distilled water on dry hair also is a good way to revive curls and distribute the oil more evenly. I haven't tried it because I have a hard time getting distilled water where I am (overseas).

salsah
05-05-2010, 01:31 AM
i got it and love it! thanks for the recommendation. it works well and i love the smell. i use it as a leave in. i have been using only a little because i'm afraid of using too much and then having their hair look greasy after it dries. but my girls need a little more frizz control so i may try adding a little more next time.