PDA

View Full Version : s/o How do you clean your engagement ring?

happymom
03-11-2010, 01:05 AM
I've always used toothpaste on a toothbrush (not the one I use to brush my teeth, don't worry!)

It works pretty well, but I'd love to hear other ideas!

sariana
03-11-2010, 01:51 AM
I once got a solution from a jewelry store. It had a little basket in it so you could soak the ring and then pull it out without sticking your fingers into the solution (and contaminating it, I guess). It also came with a little brush.

Later I found a nearly identical solution at the watch counter at Sears.

I haven't used it in years, but it did work when I used to use it.

salsah
03-11-2010, 01:59 AM
I once got a solution from a jewelry store. It had a little basket in it so you could soak the ring and then pull it out without sticking your fingers into the solution (and contaminating it, I guess). It also came with a little brush.

i use a solution like that every now and then. more regularly, i use an old soft toothbrush, warm water, and a little liquid hand soap.

Neatfreak
03-11-2010, 02:08 AM
I also have the solution with the little basket. One of my friends swears by dilluted kitchen cleaner (like Mr. Clean).

I am surprised to hear about toothpaste. It's an abrasive, albeit a mild one.

lchang25000
03-11-2010, 09:22 AM
I also have the solution with the little basket.

:yeahthat: It comes with a little brush.

teedeedee
03-11-2010, 10:46 AM
Every time I'm at the mall, I take it to a jewelry store and they do it for free!

army_mom
03-11-2010, 11:11 AM
our jewelry store told us to use nearly boiling water and add a bit of window cleaner to it and soak it in there. I usually just take it to the jewelry store though and they buff it up so pretty and shiny again!

Drag0nflygirl
03-11-2010, 02:08 PM
I used to work with a lady who also worked in a jewlery store. She said soak it in mr clean, brush with a soft brush, rinse with rubbing alcohol, dry. It works great! Just don't do it with pearls or emeralds.

codex57
03-11-2010, 02:53 PM
liquid soap and a toothbrush.

Unless you've got pave, my favorite is teh blast of steam. They sell steamers for home use. Costs about $100. Like a miniature version of what they use at jewelers.

maestramommy
03-11-2010, 03:24 PM
I haven't used it in years, but it did work when I used to use it.

I got the same thing. And if I happened to be in the mall near the store where we got the ring, I'd have them steam clean it (free) and inspect for any weakness in the setting.

dtim
03-11-2010, 04:29 PM
You can soak in either Windex or ammonia, or you can soak with an Alka-Seltzer tablet.

For me, I scrub with a toothbrush and handsoap, then for good measure drop it in one of the above. I don't know that the soak makes a difference, I think it's the scrub.

None of it is as good as whatever steam device they use at the jewelry store!!!!

smiles33
03-11-2010, 05:31 PM
Um, this is going to make me sound neurotic, but I bought an ultrasonic cleaner off eBay for $40 or so. I put in water and a little Windex and let it go for a couple minutes. It gets all the nooks and crannies without being abrasive. I love it, but it's noisy and DD1 hates the sound of it. Thus, I don't clean my ring as often as I used to before she started complaining.

kderoche
03-12-2010, 11:38 AM
Luckily, I work in a real science lab and actually run the compound room. I just throw my bands into a tube with some water and put it in the sonnicator for a cycle or two. Works wonders!!! If I didn't have that option, I would just bring it to my jeweler every once in awhile for a cleaning, they will do it for free.