PDA

View Full Version : Disney in May with almost 4-year old

Bean606
03-11-2010, 10:57 AM
Going the week before Memorial Day, staying at the Regal Sun. We will be at Epcot one day, MK the second day, and Animal Kingdom the third day. Any must-sees or definite "no's" would be helpful. Also, looking into a potential character breakfast or lunch. Recommendations on these would be great! Thanks all!

JTsMom
03-11-2010, 11:03 AM
Just b/c it's a short trip, are you sure you want to do AK? The reason I ask is that most people, especially with littler ones, can do AK in a 1/2 day, and it seems a shame to waste the other half, kwim? Plus, MK has SO much to see and do for preschoolers, that you could really use that 2nd day there- just something to think about.

As far as character breakfasts/lunches, are there any particular characters your DC is into? Mickey and company? Pooh? Lilo and Stitch?

Bean606
03-11-2010, 01:17 PM
Thanks. He really doesn't watch much TV or movies, so he doesn't have much familiarity with any of the characters, although he knows who the classic ones like Mickey, Minnie and Goofy are, and likes the movies Monsters, Inc. and Toy Story. I guess I should get him up to speed before we go, huh?

fivi2
03-11-2010, 02:26 PM
My girls loved AK when we went last time (almost 3 yo). They will be 4.5 when we go this May and we are going back to AK (but skipping DHS!) point is - it depends on your dc - we found a lot to do at AK (but a lot of people agree with pp and skip it).

Last time we did Tusker House character breakfast at AK (Mickey, Donald, Goof, Daisy) and enjoyed it. We did Crystal Palace (Pooh & co) at MK. We are doing both of these again. My are really only familiar with mickey and friends from mm clubhouse and all the pooh characters - it doesn't interfere with their enjoyment of WDW at all!

as far as what to see - again it depends :) Most of fantasyland at MK is good for that age (I hear Snow White can be scary). Much of Mk is actually good for that age - depending on your dc's tolerance for roller coasters and scariness... (a lot of the dark rides scared my girls)

At AK - we loved the safari, the trails, the train out to Rafiki (a lot of people don't like this, but my girls enjoyed it - the train ride, petting the goats, the handlers had a small critter out, and the vets were working on something), triceratop spin, the boneyard (playground), and especially Festival of the Lion King, and the character trails. We didn;t see the Nemo show, but it gets great reviews as does the AK parade. We skipped most of the big rides and still had a pretty full day.

EP - we didn't go last time. From research for this trip, I am excited about the seas and turtle talk, imagination pavilion, land pavilion, trying to see some of the performers in the world showcase (acrobats, candy lady) mexico boat ride, and maybe some of innoventions.

The disboards are a great (but overwhelming) resource...

clc053103
03-11-2010, 05:10 PM
my DS was 4 on the last trip and these were some of his favorites:

MK: fantasyland attractions, particularly philharmagic. Peoplemover, Buzz Lightyear space ranger spin, Monsters Inc Laugh Floor, and Carousel of Progress (yes, he's one of the few fans!) in Tomorrowland. The Railroad. The Barber Shop Quartet that roams Main Street USA.

Epcot: Soarin, Test Track, FInding Nemo. the Jammitors (check the performance schedule.)

AK: Safari, Nemo the Musical. The Drums (I think in Africa).

For a character meal, if you only have a few days I would go with the prior in-park recommendations (Tusker House, Crystal Palace) so you don't waste time in transit to a resort.

JTsMom
03-11-2010, 06:57 PM
I pick character meals based mainly on the characters as opposed to the food, so knowing that he is familiar with the big 5, I'd rec. Ohana (short monorail ride from MK, Mickey and Pluto, and Lilo and Stitch). It's our favorite. If you do end up with AK, Tusker House is also a good choice. There's also Chef Mickey's, but the food gets pretty consistently bad reviews, and it's pretty rushed. Epcot has Garden Grill with Mickey, Chip and Dale, and that one is really relaxed and fun.

You can't really go very wrong with anything at MK, depending on how easily DS scares. My DS loves everything in Fantasyland, and we could easily spend an entire day there. Buzz's ride is fun as well, and you can often meet him right next to it. If he's 40" tall, you have more options as far as thrill rides go- Splash Mtn and Thunder Mtn. The fireworks and Spectromagic are also big hits. Don't forget Pirates of the Caribbean.

Epcot- Soarin is DS's favorite, and he also likes the boat rides in Norway and Mexico. He is so-so re: Test Track, but most kids that age enjoy it. Nemo is a big hit as well, and in the same bldg. there is Turtle Talk with Crush. DS also really enjoys playing in the Imagination pavillion.

AK- honestly, it's just not for us at this point. DS's favorite thing is playing the drums in Africa. Seriously, that's the highlight. It's a gorgeous park though! We go, but we take long trips- 8 days +.

DS also really likes DHS b/c he is really into the Pixar movies.

Have you thought about buying a touring plan? They are under $20, and they can save you a ton of time.

Babymakes3
03-28-2010, 07:15 PM
We just did Animal Kingdom last weekend with our 19 month ds, 10 and 14 yr old niece/nephew. We spent the whole day but it rained for half of it so it cut into our time quite a bit!
Everyone liked the Lion King musical show, Nemo musical and the Bugs 3d movie for sure, even ds sat thru them attentively! The safari was neat too!
We didn't do the train, although ds would have loved that. We also didn't do the trail thing or the petting zoo due to the rain.

I think a 4 yr old would like it just fine! There are several rides you can do too but I can't think of which ones at the moment. There is lots to see there for sure!

Momof3Labs
03-29-2010, 12:37 AM
I would not take a 4yo to the Bug's Life movie!! It is actually quite intense, and there are threads and threads on disboards about kids 3 or 4yo and up who really get spooked by that movie. Younger kids may do fine because they don't have the same fears that a preschooler has.

I wouldn't do AK either on such a short trip, but if you do, spare yourself and skip Bug's Life.

egoldber
03-29-2010, 08:09 AM
I agree about the Bug's Life move. My older DD has never seen that one because I don't think she would like it. And my younger DD get very freaked out at the "4D" type shows.

fivi2
03-29-2010, 10:17 AM
I agree about the Bug's Life move. My older DD has never seen that one because I don't think she would like it. And my younger DD get very freaked out at the "4D" type shows.

Beth, does this include Philharmagic? We didn't try it last time, but I was planning on it this trip. (not planning on the Bug one!).

OP - sorry for the hijack!

egoldber
03-29-2010, 10:31 AM
We actually never got to Philharmagic this time, but Amy was hysterical at Philharmagic at 18 months and it has never been one of Sarah's favs. Amy was also pretty freaked out by the Honey I Shrunk the Audience at Epcot although Sarah thought it was funny. The Muppet one at DHS is fine though.

JTsMom
03-29-2010, 10:53 AM
I'm a little bug-phobic, so DS and I skipped the bug one. DH went, and he said to be really glad we didn't go, and he's generally kind of laid back about stuff, so I take that as a warning.

We've done Philharmagic twice, and while DS refused to wear the glasses through most of it (just b/c he didn't want them on his face), he liked the movies, and enjoyed seeing all of the familiar characters. I didn't hear any shrieking kids, and I'd be a lot of kids (not all though) would be ok with it. Like all shows, it can be a bit loud, the theater is dark, etc. I'd try it for sure, but maybe wait until you've done a bunch of other stuff just to see how it goes.

We did the Muppet one, but none of us are fans. DS was bored through it, but not scared.

We've never done Honey I Shrunk the Audience.

fivi2
03-29-2010, 11:25 AM
Thanks!
I was planning on skipping the bug one and the Honey I shrunk one (and we probably won't go to dhs.)

I wonder if I can you tube parts of philharmagic to preview it...

Thanks again!

Momof3Labs
03-29-2010, 11:30 AM
When DS1 was 5yo, he hated Bug's Life (and he loves to study bugs, so that says a lot) and didn't like Honey I shrunk the Audience either. He was fine in the Muppet movie, and loved Philharmagic. So that might give you a sense for the scare levels of those movies.

DS2 hasn't been to any of them as he HATED shows and movies when he was 2yo (our last trip) - wouldn't sit through any of them.

sidmand
03-29-2010, 04:14 PM
I'm a little bug-phobic, so DS and I skipped the bug one. DH went, and he said to be really glad we didn't go, and he's generally kind of laid back about stuff, so I take that as a warning.

Yeah, DH (yes, DH, not DS) freaked out at It's a Bug's Life and then refused to go on any other 3D/4D ride for YEARS. When we were in line they said if anyone was afraid of bugs they should probably step out of line and I suggested that we do that but no...

I love Philharmagic. It's one of the only things we managed to do with DS when he was about 2.5. I don't recall it being scary but it's probably not everyone's cup of tea.

FWIW, the Muppets 3D is going to be refurbished from 4/24 until sometime in May...I remember reading that in Mousesavers (because we're going to be there 4/24).

egoldber
03-29-2010, 04:55 PM
FWIW, Philharmagic is not scary, but it is loud and at one point there is a big puff of air in your face. That is what scared my younger DD.

lablover
03-30-2010, 09:37 AM
We were there last week and watched Philharmagic. DS (6.5) is very sensitive and he liked it. He did take the 3D glasses on and off throughout the movie but he was laughing a lot. DD (3.5) I think liked it overall but she had the glasses off more than on and did jump several times. Like PP said, it's not scary but it is loud and there are sudden movements and those things startled her.

A year ago we saw Bug's Life and that was a big mistake. DS was screaming and in hysterics and DH had to take him out of the show. DD was on my lap and although she was quiet she was shaking a lot and I ended up covering her eyes through most of it. On the other hand my niece was 3 at the time and had no problems with it. We didn't do AK this time but DS mentioned that he did not want to see the bug movie.

JTsMom
03-30-2010, 01:27 PM
I also wanted to add that if you do AK, Dinosaur is also terrifying for most kids. I've never tried it, but I've heard that over and over again.

egoldber
03-30-2010, 01:51 PM
My older DD does OK on Dinosaur, but it is not a fav and she will willingly skip it for something else.

TwinFoxes
03-30-2010, 01:53 PM
I also wanted to add that if you do AK, Dinosaur is also terrifying for most kids.

My DH keeps saying we have to be sure to go on this ride because it's the only ride in AK that I wanted to do twice. I haven't told him that the reason I wanted to do it twice is because the first time I had my eyes closed THE ENTIRE RIDE :bag:

clc053103
03-30-2010, 01:57 PM
I also wanted to add that if you do AK, Dinosaur is also terrifying for most kids. I've never tried it, but I've heard that over and over again.

I tried it with DS when he was 3. I went on thinking oh, cute, like Barney-um, no. NEVER AGAIN. Not only did DS scream and cry the entire time, but I was pretty terrified as well. It's very jarring.

So, on our list of rides that may result in therapy for DS, we have Dinosaur and...........yep, you guessed it, the terrifying It's a Small World.

billysmommy
03-30-2010, 02:06 PM
Dinosaur is pretty scary but Ds1 loves it

Ds1 went on Dinosaur last Jan at 5.5 and it totally scared him. DH bought the picture at the end because the looks on both their faces were priceless

BUT when I went on right afterwards (we baby-swapped since Ds2 was too short to go on) he said he wanted to "face his fear" and go on again with me so I wouldn't get too scared. So it didn't bother him too much...lol