PDA

View Full Version : BOB REV. or BOB SUS

mecawa
03-12-2010, 01:46 PM
I'm still on the hunt for a jogging stroller and after checking some out IRL and doing more internet research I have pretty much decided on the BOB SUS. I do have one question though, I know it is better to jog with a fixed front wheel, but what about the Revolution where the front wheel locks, is that just as good, or is not as safe. I've never used a jogging stroller before so I am not sure about the front wheels that lock, are the reliable? I like the SUS but am just thinking with the Rev. having the more versatile front wheel, if I could use it for other things (walks etc., in the snow maybe if we end up having a 3rd, etc.). The stroller right now is just going to be used for running (maybe bring it to the beach but that is a big maybe). I use a Mac Triumph for everything else. Any insight, experience, advice???

PeppyParents
03-13-2010, 05:23 PM
I'm still on the hunt for a jogging stroller and after checking some out IRL and doing more internet research I have pretty much decided on the BOB SUS. I do have one question though, I know it is better to jog with a fixed front wheel, but what about the Revolution where the front wheel locks, is that just as good, or is not as safe. I've never used a jogging stroller before so I am not sure about the front wheels that lock, are the reliable? I like the SUS but am just thinking with the Rev. having the more versatile front wheel, if I could use it for other things (walks etc., in the snow maybe if we end up having a 3rd, etc.). The stroller right now is just going to be used for running (maybe bring it to the beach but that is a big maybe). I use a Mac Triumph for everything else. Any insight, experience, advice???

Hi,

For frequent and daily running, the SUS would be a better choice. Having that larger front wheel will help smooth out any cracks or bumps that you'll be facing... making it easier just to roll over them. The slightly longer length will help offer stability too.

The three 16" wheels will also be better for the snow and beach, rather than having a 12" wheel in front that you'll have to push harder in deeper snow or semi-packed sand.

You'd lose the versatility of having a swivel wheel stroller, but it sounds like your Mac is already your daily normal use stroller.

Hope that helps!

mecawa
03-13-2010, 07:17 PM
Thanks for the response. I am leaning more towards the SUS, I'm just starting to wonder though, the area I run in has some turns and stuff and I'm wondering how hard the SUS will be to make those turns with. Anybody ever jog with an SUS or a Revolution?

PeppyParents
03-13-2010, 07:23 PM
Thanks for the response. I am leaning more towards the SUS, I'm just starting to wonder though, the area I run in has some turns and stuff and I'm wondering how hard the SUS will be to make those turns with. Anybody ever jog with an SUS or a Revolution?

It'd be the same for both strollers, if you think about it. If you're running, you're going to have the front wheel locked on your Revolution, so you'd still need to lift and pivot the front of it.

If you're just walking or powerwalking, the Revolution would definitely be nicer to use.

The reason why you want a fixed front wheel (or a locked one, like on the Revolution) is so your natural running stride won't cause the stroller to veer right/left with your body or hand(s). If the front wheel is fixed, it's going to go straight no matter which side of the handlebar is getting slightly more pressure from your hand(s).

Tough call -- versatility of the Revolution, or slightly better running with the SUS?

mecawa
03-13-2010, 09:12 PM
It'd be the same for both strollers, if you think about it. If you're running, you're going to have the front wheel locked on your Revolution, so you'd still need to lift and pivot the front of it.

If you're just walking or powerwalking, the Revolution would definitely be nicer to use.

The reason why you want a fixed front wheel (or a locked one, like on the Revolution) is so your natural running stride won't cause the stroller to veer right/left with your body or hand(s). If the front wheel is fixed, it's going to go straight no matter which side of the handlebar is getting slightly more pressure from your hand(s).

Tough call -- versatility of the Revolution, or slightly better running with the SUS?

Yes, the revolution's wheel would be locked, so that wouldn't even matter, thanks for pointing that out, I wasn't thinking, LOL!!! I may have to go back to my local REI and take a look at them again. Thanks for helping!!!

sariana
03-14-2010, 01:12 AM
My DH runs with our BOB and has no problem with it. (The Revolution wasn't out yet when we got ours.) I hate running under any circumstances, so I can't give you any advice there. I can say that one thing I don't like about our BOB is that the handlebar is a bit too high for my comfort. I am 5'4" and just don't like where the bar is, and it's not adjustable. DH is 6' tall and thinks it's perfect (and doesn't understand why I don't like it).

strollerqueen
03-14-2010, 04:18 AM

Locked front wheels are not the same at all as true fixed wheels. Every manufacturer has told me that locking a wheel is just for going over curbs, stairs, or a rough patch of terrain. It will be terribly jiggly and shaky to run with, and awkward. With strollers, you have to prioritize your needs. You have already done so, and it is running. So the answer for you is a no-brainer, you need a true jogging stroller. Your other needs are secondary. And by the way, swivel wheels are horrible at the beach. The fixed wheel will be much better for that, too.

mecawa
03-14-2010, 08:52 AM
My DH runs with our BOB and has no problem with it. (The Revolution wasn't out yet when we got ours.) I hate running under any circumstances, so I can't give you any advice there. I can say that one thing I don't like about our BOB is that the handlebar is a bit too high for my comfort. I am 5'4" and just don't like where the bar is, and it's not adjustable. DH is 6' tall and thinks it's perfect (and doesn't understand why I don't like it).

Thanks for mentioning this, I am the same height as you, I'll have to look at that the next time I'm at the store.

mecawa
03-14-2010, 08:53 AM
Locked front wheels are not the same at all as true fixed wheels. Every manufacturer has told me that locking a wheel is just for going over curbs, stairs, or a rough patch of terrain. It will be terribly jiggly and shaky to run with, and awkward. With strollers, you have to prioritize your needs. You have already done so, and it is running. So the answer for you is a no-brainer, you need a true jogging stroller. Your other needs are secondary. And by the way, swivel wheels are horrible at the beach. The fixed wheel will be much better for that, too.

Thank you, I need to get the SUS, that's what I thought. Thanks again!!