PDA

View Full Version : Maclarens?

jbbhb
03-13-2010, 06:44 PM
I had pretty much decided on a Maclaren Techno XT, but all of the local baby stores have stopped carrying Maclaren within the last few months. One of the owners actually advised me not to buy a Maclaren, any ideas whats going on?

mecawa
03-13-2010, 07:06 PM
No idea!! I have had a Mac Triumph for 5 yrs. and wouldn't hesitate (and sometimes think I would still like) to buy a Mac Techno. There was a recall on them, but they sent out a package with a cover for the hinge which corrected the problem, so I don't know. The baby stores around here still sell them, in fact I don't know many people who don't have one.

When I was shopping for a stroller for DD2 I had the same problems with the Inglesina Zippy, I had decided on that but then had a really hard time locating one, and most stores around me had stopped carrying it, even though it's a great stroller.

strollerqueen
03-14-2010, 12:40 AM
Because people just hear the scary headline, "RECALL!" and freak out, before bothering to read the story. As the PP said, it was an issue with the hinges, which is also affecting Cybex and other umbrella strollers. Some kids got their fingertips damaged or amputated when they stuck them inside the hinges as the stroller was being folded. So the simple solution is, don't let your kids stick their fingers inside the stroller when you are folding or unfolding. Or, call Maclaren and they will send you little cloth covers for them. But most stores now sell Macs with the covers. I have had more Maclarens than any other brand. Love them! In fact, right now I am lusting after the new Kelly green Triumph. Hasn't been released yet, and I really want one for St. Patrick's Day!

AnnieW625
03-14-2010, 12:48 AM
I love my Maclaren. I'd buy another in heartbeat! I too would love a Maclaren XT and really wish I would've just bought one instead of Triumph because our Triumph has been our do everything stroller. I can't really justify getting one for #2, but there is still hope right?!

Stroller Queen, I love that green Triumph too!

sariana
03-14-2010, 01:07 AM
"Nightline" (ABC News) had a story last night about the MacLaren stroller recall and how so many parents hadn't even heard of it. There was a woman on whose child's finger had been injured in the hinge. She said she had sent in the registration card but had not been notified of the recall.

Anyway, the reporter went on to say that ALL umbrella strollers are now being questioned and that some people are advocating pullling all of them because it is just a bad design.

I love our Quest. I ordered the retrofit kit but have yet to install it. I don't let my kids near the stroller while I am folding or unfolding it.

audys
03-14-2010, 01:24 AM
I LOVE MacLaren strollers and have 3 of them. I filled out the recall form on their web site online and received a set of the very nice hinge covers for each of my strollers.

strollerqueen
03-14-2010, 04:11 AM
"Nightline" (ABC News) had a story last night about the MacLaren stroller recall and how so many parents hadn't even heard of it. There was a woman on whose child's finger had been injured in the hinge. She said she had sent in the registration card but had not been notified of the recall.

Anyway, the reporter went on to say that ALL umbrella strollers are now being questioned and that some people are advocating pullling all of them because it is just a bad design.

I love our Quest. I ordered the retrofit kit but have yet to install it. I don't let my kids near the stroller while I am folding or unfolding it.

Oh, I missed that one! Our local ABC news did a cheeseball story on it, though. :rolleye0014: But I dunno', it seems like a lot of strollers that fold could pinch or injure a little finger, not just umbrellas.

strollerqueen
03-14-2010, 04:30 AM

Well here's the worst of it...they listed a bunch of floor samples on Ebay the other night--the majesty purple, a bunch of cute designer and 2010 Quests, and, my coveted racing green Triumph! I didn't realize they had *just* been put up, since I have been trying to be good and have been staying away from Ebay. I was debating on pulling the trigger, but then the baby started crying. I went and laid down with him and fell asleep. The next morning someone posted them on Swap, and within minutes, they were allll gone. All gone! And the price? $85!!!!!!!!! :13: Now I am so mad I feel like shipping one over from England, but it wouldn't make it by St. Patrick's Day! :irked:

poohbear
03-14-2010, 09:11 AM
Well here's the worst of it...they listed a bunch of floor samples on Ebay the other night--the majesty purple, a bunch of cute designer and 2010 Quests, and, my coveted racing green Triumph! I didn't realize they had *just* been put up, since I have been trying to be good and have been staying away from Ebay. I was debating on pulling the trigger, but then the baby started crying. I went and laid down with him and fell asleep. The next morning someone posted them on Swap, and within minutes, they were allll gone. All gone! And the price? $85!!!!!!!!! :13: Now I am so mad I feel like shipping one over from England, but it wouldn't make it by St. Patrick's Day! :irked:

Ugh! Maybe they will list more? $85? Wow! As for the hinges, I don't understand, my baby is nowhere near my stroller when I'm folding it...

chozen
03-14-2010, 11:19 AM
I love my Maclaren. I'd buy another in heartbeat! I too would love a Maclaren XT and really wish I would've just bought one instead of Triumph because our Triumph has been our do everything stroller. I can't really justify getting one for #2, but there is still hope right?!

annie i think you should just go for it, GET THE XT. you now know how much use you will get out of it. :boogie:

jbbhb
03-14-2010, 01:22 PM
Well I'm glad that's all it is. It's seems pretty common sense to me to not fold the stroller with the child near it.

Anyone know if there are any changes to the 2010 Techno XT? Also, do you guys think that I'll be okay if this is my only stroller other than a snap n go for the first few months? I live in Southern CA suburbia with good sidewalks, etc...

chozen
03-14-2010, 06:32 PM
Well I'm glad that's all it is. It's seems pretty common sense to me to not fold the stroller with the child near it.

Anyone know if there are any changes to the 2010 Techno XT? Also, do you guys think that I'll be okay if this is my only stroller other than a snap n go for the first few months? I live in Southern CA suburbia with good sidewalks, etc...

no changes from 09 to 2010, i just bought a xt about a month ago and yes i think as long as your not using it on heavy gravel etc.i think in most cases it will be great.