PDA

View Full Version : I just bought a sewing machine!

Melaine
03-15-2010, 08:23 AM
I am SOOO excited. (I hope this is a decent one).

This is it: http://www.target.com/Brother-Sewing-Machine-XL3750/dp/B000VGAMU6
It was on clearance at my Target for $70. I would love to take a sewing class, but until then I'm going to check a book or two out from the library.

Does anyone have this machine?

zephyr
03-15-2010, 11:56 AM
That is so exciting! And you got it for half off! I am also looking for a sewing machine and this one got good reviews. Have anything fun planned that you want to sew?

bluestarfish18
03-15-2010, 01:17 PM
I'm totally clueless when it comes to sewing...I struggle sewing on a button :( What are some good books that explain the basics, reading patterns, machine use, etc?

Melaine
03-15-2010, 01:20 PM
Someone on another thread suggested Sewing for Dummies. It's going on my library queue!

Melaine
03-15-2010, 01:21 PM
That is so exciting! And you got it for half off! I am also looking for a sewing machine and this one got good reviews. Have anything fun planned that you want to sew?

I don't know....I've been trying to make sandwich/snack bags and am almost done but they are really poorly done (I did them with my old sad machine). After that I would like to do some pillowcase dresses and then someone showed (somewhere recently on BBB) how to make the hooded towels.

I'd love any more suggestions of easy sewing projects!

new_mommy25
03-15-2010, 01:48 PM
Congratulations! There is a plethora of blogs with free tutorials out there. Anytime I want to make something I just google. :) Also, check out youcanmakethis.com. They have super cute patterns that you can download.

bluestarfish18
03-15-2010, 02:06 PM
Someone on another thread suggested Sewing for Dummies. It's going on my library queue!

Yahoo...library here I come...thanks!

larig
03-15-2010, 04:59 PM
how exciting, what a steal! With electronic speed control too, that's such a nice feature...for books check out vogue sewing. light on illustrations, but great otherwise. craftster.org is a great site too.

karstmama
03-16-2010, 10:43 AM
there's a reader's digest book on sewing that's pretty good & complete.

my main advice is to watch where the material hits the presserfoot, don't watch the needle. the needle is going to go up & down where it is - the key is where the material is when it gets to the needle, and the key to that is where it is going under the presserfoot.

have a blast!

funda62
03-17-2010, 09:45 AM
Have fun and use old sheets to start with or other inexpensive fabric. Most libraries have lots of great books on sewing and I'm glad you are taking the class as I think everyone should to start. Before you know it you'll be sewing all kinds of things!

zephyr
03-17-2010, 09:55 PM
Here are 2 books that I checked out from the library that have been *really* helpful with understanding basics: http://www.amazon.com/Sewing-101-Beginners-Guide/dp/1589230698/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1268877191&sr=1-1 and http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Book-Sewing-New/dp/0789496585/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1268877261&sr=1-1. I am wanting to make party banners, a kids duvet cover, curtains and decorative pillows.

Melaine
03-18-2010, 08:23 AM
Thanks for those recommendations! I went to the library yesterday and got Sewing for Dummies, but I confess I haven't looked at it yet. I've been doing a lot of stuff around the house and haven't even opened the machine yet. Part of the reason is, I'm afraid I will be totally overwhelmed when I do open it! I might wait until my friend comes over who knows how to use one and let her help walk me through the first steps of setting it up and setting the tension, etc.

I did check out this book from the library, and it was SO fun to look at. Not sure I'm ready to jump in with some of the projects, but definitely got some ideas and just loved flipping through it. I love the idea of working with old fabrics and have plenty of access to that kind of stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/Handmade-Home-Repurpose-Materials-Treasures/dp/1590305957/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1268914977&sr=1-1

o_mom
03-18-2010, 09:28 AM
An easy project that I like is making a baby blanket. If you know someone who is expecting, they make great gifts. Basically, you put flannel on one side, terrycloth on the other, sew wrong sides together, turn and top stitch the edge and diagonally across the center.

zephyr
03-19-2010, 12:35 AM
Melaine, I actually went to Target and bought the same machine you have today. It was on sale for $100 which I still think is a pretty good deal. I am keeping my receipt and will be back in a couple days, just in case it goes on sale more so I can get a price adjustment. BTW, I love that book and the author has a blog, not sure if you read it or not, soulemama.com (one of my favorite blogs ever).