PDA

View Full Version : Monograms/Embroidery on Strollers

PRmommy
03-15-2010, 11:00 AM
I'm planning a baby shower for my friend and she loves monograms. Someone suggested purchasing one of the strollers on her registry and having the canopy embroidered (she's currently registered for a Mac and an Elite). I still haven't decided if this is a good idea.

The person that suggested this idea is a bit "sensitive" so I want to do my homework before we decide not to proceed. ;) Since I'm totally clueless here what do you think:

1. Is it crazy to embroider the canopy of a stroller (pros/cons?)
2. What would be the best thing to put on it(kids initials; parents initials; last name)?

PGTB
03-15-2010, 12:22 PM
I'm planning a baby shower for my friend and she loves monograms. Someone suggested purchasing one of the strollers on her registry and having the canopy embroidered (she's currently registered for a Mac and an Elite). I still haven't decided if this is a good idea.

The person that suggested this idea is a bit "sensitive" so I want to do my homework before we decide not to proceed. ;) Since I'm totally clueless here what do you think:

1. Is it crazy to embroider the canopy of a stroller (pros/cons?)
2. What would be the best thing to put on it(kids initials; parents initials; last name)?

I don't think it's crazy, many stroller manufacturers introduce special designer touches, like rhinestones or cartoon characters or interesting color patters (like limited addition strollers) and many people love to have unique strollers. But haven't seen embroidery or initials on any strollers before... and I see tons and tons of them every day.

IMO, if you are buying a stroller off her registry you are already giving her a gift that's very nice and especially something she definitely wants and will appreciate without extra embelishments.

While she likes the monograms she may not necessarily appreciate this on her stroller, just a thought. She also may not like your artistic taste or the place/size of your embroidery. If you really would like to make a nice monogram for her, I'd suggest putting a nice monogram on a towel or a throw blanket or just giving her a very nice personalized card with the stroller.

You have to consider that lots of people end up selling their strollers or giving them away when they want something else after using them for some time and your friend might want to do the same. Personalizing your stroller with some embroided items or initials would IMO reduce its resale value unless it's easily removed. Unlike manufacturer designer touches, you may not find many buyers that share same initials or like same artwork. So, the best way to personalize the stroller is probably getting something that can be removed.

Whatever you decide to do, definitely don't put her last name on the stroller. Would you really want every stranger passing you on the street knowing what your last name is?

GracieCat
03-15-2010, 12:25 PM
That's a tough one! I am leaning towards not doing it to the stroller for the following reasons:
-might be less desirable for resale
-stroller cover might not be replaceable now or later
-might have another kid (baby's initials)
-stranger danger (last name)
-initials show ownership-mom isn't the one the stroller is for, how would dad feel pushing stroller with mom's name?

What about an embroidered blanket with the baby's initials or name that matches the stroller? I use a matching blanket all the time in ours.

PRmommy
03-15-2010, 12:37 PM
Great thoughts! This is exactly what I need. Thank you. keep them coming.

Just to clarify - I meant just the first letter of the last name (not the entire last name) :)

Suzanne74
03-15-2010, 04:05 PM
I would say no. A lot of moms (especially first time moms) do not put the strollers they really will end up using on their registry. If she ends up changing her mind, wanting something lighter, more compatible with a carseat, the baby's body type etc... she may return the item. If you purchase it, open it up and monogram it, she will feel obligated to stick with it - not only to not hurt your feelings but she will be unable to return it. I agree with another poster - get a blanket monogramed or somthing else.

Go to www.etsy.com - they have fantastic personal homemade items for babies.