PDA

View Full Version : On very tight budget. What to do?

girlggc
03-15-2010, 01:12 PM
Hi. My husband and I are on a very tight budget. I heard that travel systems are awful and to just buy a separate, better, stroller. Problem is, yet again, the budget. To complicate matters, my husband is handicap and his wheelchair takes up the entire trunk of my 2006 Honda Civic, so the stroller will have to share the backseat with the baby, which means space is limited. Just to give you an idea of our lifestyle, we're pretty much mall crawlers.

To be honest, I'm much more concerned about the car seat than the stroller. My view is that the car seat is a matter of life and death while the stroller is not, so if I have to get a cheapie stroller for a good car seat, so be it.

katydid1971
03-15-2010, 01:15 PM
Have you thought of a carrier instead?

girlggc
03-15-2010, 01:17 PM
Have you thought of a carrier instead?

I have. I think that will work at the beginning, but not after the first few months or so. I'm going to need to get a stroller eventually.

truly scrumptious
03-15-2010, 01:28 PM
What about a used stroller on your local craigslist?
Better quality strollers last a really long time, and often a family is getting rid of an extra stroller, or replacing a single stroller with a double for a new baby, etc. So you can frequently score a great deal.
Since you aren't in a hurry for the stroller, maybe keep an eye out online, or at local garage sales. I've seen some pretty good joggers on sale for under $50 at summer garage sales.

ETA - I see you're in MA - check out the Yahoo group StrollerSwap, which is run by one of the moms on BBB. There are lots of good deals on strollers there.

hellokitty
03-15-2010, 01:39 PM
If I were you, I'd buy a new infant carseat and just buy a used snap-n-go stroller frame. I bought my SNG stroller frame for $20 from Once upon a child. I know that in a month or two when I sell it again, I'll probably be able to get back $20 for it. I would go from there after you are out of the SNG phase to see what your stroller needs are and either keep your eyes out for a really good deal or buy something gently used.

AnnieW625
03-15-2010, 01:53 PM
I just happened to stumble on this deal on a Maclaren Techno XT last night (no I did not buy it, I am still trying to talk myself out of it!:hysterical:) for $230, it will ship in a couple of weeks, http://ababyoutlets.com/product/index.cfm?product_id=20564. With the code TweetPeep you save an additional 5%.

We have the Triumph and love the stroller (so much so that I can't bear to part with it), but the Techno has a full recline so it can be used from birth, has a full suspension, an easy collapse, and the fold on all Maclarens is amazing. It could easily fit in between the front and the back seat of the car.

We've had our Maclaren Triumph since DD was three months old and I really do love it and we've used it for everything (can't think of one thing we haven't used it for stroller wise). All I can think is that the Techno would be soo much better.

Check it out at Babies R Us.

newg
03-15-2010, 02:17 PM
Graco makes a great infant carseat that fits with a ton of strollers. Chicco is another great carseat, but does not fit with many other strollers besides chicco........
I know that Combi strollers are kinda like a umbrella stroller and do fit in the back seat (I put mine there when the dogs are in the way back).....but I'm not sure what carseats it takes besides the Combi carseat.
http://www.combi-intl.com/Products/Category.aspx?Category=1
Chicco does make a smaller stroller that fits with the carseat, but I"m not sure how small the fold is.
http://www.chiccousa.com/gear/strollers/trevi/trevi-miro.aspx
Graco also makes some smaller, umbrella type strollers (the mosiac); but again, not sure how small the fold is.
http://www.gracobaby.com/Catalog/Pages/landingPage.aspx?catid=10:44||1#/0/10:44||1/11:10456||1/
If you have a BRU near you it might be worth going to see how small a stroller you can get that would fit in the backseat............they will also let you take the stroller out to the car to try it out (you just have to leave your lisencse with them)

Andi98989
03-15-2010, 03:46 PM
The Graco Mosaic folds very nice and small - it folds like an umbrella stroller. We keep it in the trunk of our Accord all the time. We have put it in the backseat with DS, too. Just laid it on the floor. Love that we can use our SnugRide car seat with it and when DS is done with the car seat, we've still got a great stroller to use. It basically functions like a travel system stroller, but without the huge fold and is much more portable and lightweight.

lareigna
03-15-2010, 05:40 PM
If I were you, I'd buy a new infant carseat and just buy a used snap-n-go stroller frame. I bought my SNG stroller frame for $20 from Once upon a child. I know that in a month or two when I sell it again, I'll probably be able to get back $20 for it. I would go from there after you are out of the SNG phase to see what your stroller needs are and either keep your eyes out for a really good deal or buy something gently used.

:yeahthat:

Through some patience I managed to score a used Zippy for $30. CL has a ton of umbrella fold strollers for a steal. Definetly get a sng while you wait for a good deal to pop up.

PGTB
03-15-2010, 05:41 PM
I suggest getting a stroller that would accommodate a car seat but then would last for sometime until you kid doesn't need a stroller anymore.

I would go for the used stroller that is of better make/brand that takes a car seat as opposed to snap-n-go. Snap-n-go won't last you long and as little as you would spend on it, you still have to spend more to buy a regular stroller. Besides it may also tempt you to use your car seat as a stroller seat for much much longer than is advisable for your baby. It's better for the baby to be in a stroller seat more than in the car seat, so, I would start with the stroller that has a recline feature and can take a car seat. You might be able to get a good deal on a used one that's been gently used.

I am not sure if Maclaren Techno XT can take a car seat... I think you need Techno XLR model, which is heavier and more expensive for that.

Maybe you can take a look if there are any gently used Peg perego Si? these get great reviews, last for a while and accommodate car seats.

AnnieW625
03-15-2010, 05:55 PM
I am not sure if Maclaren Techno XT can take a car seat... I think you need Techno XLR model, which is heavier and more expensive for that.

Maybe you can take a look if there are any gently used Peg perego Si? these get great reviews, last for a while and accommodate car seats.

No the XT doesn't take a car seat, but it has a full recline, and a 65lb weight limit, could be an only stroller if you ask me (our Triumph has pretty much been our everyday only). As someone who didn't have a snap n go for my first child I am a firm believer that's it's not 100% necessary. My DD always went back to sleep in the stroller once I moved her from the car seat. Again it's all about preference. I think that the Si is a much better deal than the XLR if you must have a carseat attachment.

salsah
03-15-2010, 06:10 PM
have you considered skipping the infant seat and getting a convertible now? you can post in the car seat forum to ask the car seat gurus. if your budget is tight, then skipping the infant seat can save you some money. with limited trunk space, i think you need a compact umbrella stroller (it will fit on the floor of the back seat). and if you are a mall crawler, that will work fine. another option is bjcm because it's fold is so compact. any other stroller (that i can think of) will be a pain (or impossible) to try to fit in the car -- even a p3/zippy (full sized umbrella stroller) will be too big. the si might be okay, i'm not sure about it's folded size.
if you can, go to a store to check out macs and the bjcm. most stores will let you take strollers outside to see how they fit in your car. then when you know what you want, scope out craigslist and strollerswap for a used one (or the bargains here on the board for a great deal on new (previous yr model) one). buying a high quality stroller used is much better then buying a cheap one new.

zag95
03-15-2010, 07:25 PM
[QUOTE=salsah;2661238]have you considered skipping the infant seat and getting a convertible now? you can post in the car seat forum to ask the car seat gurus. if your budget is tight, then skipping the infant seat can save you some money. with limited trunk space, i think you need a compact umbrella stroller (it will fit on the floor of the back seat). and if you are a mall crawler, that will work fine. another option is bjcm

:yeahthat:

I have a Mac Quest- I'd go with a Mac for your car- for a while I was driving my older model Honday accord around with my mac folded up and behind the front seats- I'd look at a MAC or a BJCM- but I think an Umbrella will be easier to deal with.....

GL!

girlggc
03-15-2010, 07:50 PM
What is a BJCM?

lareigna
03-15-2010, 08:12 PM
Hi. My husband and I are on a very tight budget. I heard that travel systems are awful and to just buy a separate, better, stroller. Problem is, yet again, the budget. To complicate matters, my husband is handicap and his wheelchair takes up the entire trunk of my 2006 Honda Civic, so the stroller will have to share the backseat with the baby, which means space is limited. Just to give you an idea of our lifestyle, we're pretty much mall crawlers.

To be honest, I'm much more concerned about the car seat than the stroller. My view is that the car seat is a matter of life and death while the stroller is not, so if I have to get a cheapie stroller for a good car seat, so be it.

What is your budget?

truly scrumptious
03-15-2010, 08:14 PM
What is a BJCM?

Baby jogger City Mini.

We have one and LOVE it. Light, easy to fold, and good for mall-use. (Not so great for uneven sidewalks, though.)

girlggc
03-15-2010, 08:47 PM
What is your budget?

My budget is basically as cheap as possible. I suppose I could spend up to $150 and even that's stretching it.

PGTB
03-15-2010, 09:36 PM
BJCM is a great stroller and can be your one and only. But you also have to have a car seat adapter to use the car seat, and that has to be purchased separately and costs almost as much as a brand new snap-n-go (around 50). If you go for a used BJCM try to find one that already has a car seat adapter included in the price (the seller would throw it in for you if they have it). Peg Perego Si doesn't require purchasing a car seat adapter, it comes with the straps that would accommodate any car seat.

Alternatively, you can get a nice used BJCM or a Maclaren or even a new one if there are some deals + coupons. Then you can try to get a free snap-n-go frame, apparently lots of people give them away for free to get rid of them if they can't sell. I'd do that instead of buying and expensive car seat adapter for BJCM or buying the new snap-n-go.

arivecchi
03-15-2010, 09:40 PM
I'd recommend just placing the baby directly on the stroller. Car seat attachments can lead to infant car seat overuse and they are definitely not necessary. Like Annie, I never used one with either one of my boys. The suggestion to skip the infant car seat is a good one. Just ask in the car seat forum for suggestions of convertible car seats that work for newborns.

I agree with PP that an umbrella stroller such as a Maclaren or the Si might be your best bet. Do you live in a city with a good craigslist? I'd look for a nice stroller there.

Suzanne74
03-15-2010, 10:05 PM
If you do skip the infant bucket, I recommend getting a Learning Curve True Fit or Graco My Ride. Both are cheap but some of the highest in safety and great for newborns. You can purchase a My Ride at Bed Bath and Beyond for $99 and use a (20% coupon) so it is only $80. I would not recommend getting a car seat used. You never know if it was in an accident.

A stroller on the other hand, you can get a good deal on craiglist for a used one. If you are putting it in the car (as opposed to the trunk) I would highly recommend an umbrella type fold but you will also have to strap it down somehow so it does not become projectile in a (hopefully never) accident and injure your baby.

Good Luck

salsah
03-16-2010, 01:43 AM
BJCM is a great stroller and can be your one and only. But you also have to have a car seat adapter to use the car seat, and that has to be purchased separately and costs almost as much as a brand new snap-n-go (around 50). If you go for a used BJCM try to find one that already has a car seat adapter included in the price (the seller would throw it in for you if they have it). Peg Perego Si doesn't require purchasing a car seat adapter, it comes with the straps that would accommodate any car seat.

Alternatively, you can get a nice used BJCM or a Maclaren or even a new one if there are some deals + coupons. Then you can try to get a free snap-n-go frame, apparently lots of people give them away for free to get rid of them if they can't sell. I'd do that instead of buying and expensive car seat adapter for BJCM or buying the new snap-n-go.

you don't need the car seat adapter. you should keep the car seat in the car. the recline on the bjcm is flat enough that you can put the baby directly into the stroller. however if you get an umbrella stroller like a quest, you will not be able to put the baby in it for the first few months (the recline is not deep enough). if you get a carrier (i recommend that you do) then you can just use the carrier for the first few months. oh, i just thought of a compact umbrella stroller that might be a good choice for you; the esprit sun speed (http://www.stroller.com/esprit-strollers.html). iirc, it has a full recline so that you can use it with a new born and it is inexpensive.

btw, if you get a carrier, get a good one, even if you have to buy used.

Andi98989
03-16-2010, 06:44 AM
The Graco Mosaic is $110 and will accept a SnugRide, SnugRide32, or SafeSeat car seat. If you're using it without the car seat, it has a very flat recline and could be used with a newborn, and it also has a 40 lb. weight limit.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3601299

DH and I got an Ergo to use for DS, but we just couldn't get the hang of it and weren't comfortable with it when he was a newborn. It wasn't until he hit 4 months that we were really good with using it. Until that point, I was very glad to have our carrier car seat so that I could easily take him into stores, etc.. with me. Once baby gets to be too heavy for comfortably taking that seat in and out of the car, you could just leave it in the car (we're getting ready to do that) and continue using it while you figure out what convertible seat you want to get.

Don't forget that BRU does free shipping over $100 and has coupons out frequently for 15-20% off of strollers and car seats.

doberbrat
03-16-2010, 08:26 AM
there are Children's Orchards around - not sure what the closest to you is. Kid to Kid in Natick has a decent selection of strollers.

depending on when you're due would be the deciding factor for me. a winter baby and I'd want an infant seat to get to/from the car. a summer baby, I'd go directly to the convertible.

a good carrier can certainly get you from nb to a toddler. I wore my dd until she was 3+ and honestly find having a stroller to be a pia for most outtings. I have a bunch, but dont use them as much as a carrier.

personally, I like a book fold stroller like the venezia if I'm keepign it between seats. right now, mine is wedged between the front and back seat of my van under the infant seat. that way you still have the seat next to the baby open.

I think I saw a venezia on cl for $30ish last night. no idea whether it takes an infant seat but it has a flat recline and is reversible so its my go-to stroller these days.

lareigna
03-16-2010, 10:19 AM
you don't need the car seat adapter. you should keep the car seat in the car. the recline on the bjcm is flat enough that you can put the baby directly into the stroller. however if you get an umbrella stroller like a quest, you will not be able to put the baby in it for the first few months (the recline is not deep enough). if you get a carrier (i recommend that you do) then you can just use the carrier for the first few months. oh, i just thought of a compact umbrella stroller that might be a good choice for you; the esprit sun speed (http://www.stroller.com/esprit-strollers.html). iirc, it has a full recline so that you can use it with a new born and it is inexpensive.

btw, if you get a carrier, get a good one, even if you have to buy used.

Another good umbrella that is newborn suitable is the Chicco Liteway. It is at BRU for $129 brand new and you could use coupons. Much better quality than the Mosaic IMO, even though it does not take a carseat. It even has a little boot that can enclose the seat to make it bassinet like.

christiedavid3
03-16-2010, 10:38 AM
I recently scored a Silver Cross Fizz on shnoop for $69 with free shipping. I LOVE it! It does not have a full recline so cannot be used with a brand newborn. It folds up super small, is very lightweight, and pushes like a dream.

I got a Silver Cross Dazzle on Shnoop last year for my BFF for $99. It is similar to the Fizz but has a full recline so is suitable for newborns. She loves that stroller too.

I agree that you don't need a "travel system". It's better to take baby out of the infant seat whenever possible anyway.

arivecchi
03-16-2010, 10:48 AM
DH and I got an Ergo to use for DS, but we just couldn't get the hang of it and weren't comfortable with it when he was a newborn. It wasn't until he hit 4 months that we were really good with using it. Same thing happened to me. DS2 hated the Ergo insert, so we used our old Baby Bjorn Active until he was about 405 months and then used the Ergo.

I like the suggestion of the MyRide and TrueFit convertibles but I would encourage the OP to go to the car seat forum here or to the forums at www.car-seat.org (http://www.car-seat.org) for information on car seats. You can get answers to your questions from car seat techs there.

hellokitty
03-16-2010, 10:51 AM
girlggc- I forgot to ask. Do you need to push your DH around in his WC or can he get around on his own? If he needs you to push him, I'm thinking that you probably just want to go with the convertible carseat right off the bat, less to drag around. The cheapest and smallest stroller that CAN accomodate an infant carseat (if you want to go that route) and work as a stroller too is the graco mosaic that several pp have mentioned already. If you live in a warm weathered area, I'd totally skip the infant carseat. I find it most helpful in the winter time when the baby is under 20 lbs, when I don't want to take the baby in and out. However, if you are having a spring/summer baby, taking a smaller baby out of a convertible seat isn't as big of a hassle and you could easily get by with a good sling for the first few months until the baby gets bigger. If it won't get cold until your baby is about 6 mo old, by then you really don't want to physically lug an infant carseat in and out of the car anyway, even if the baby still fits in it, b/c it is sooooo heavy! Whatever stroller you DO get though if you go the convertible carseat route, it needs to be one that reclines. A lot of cheaper umbrella strollers do not recline and you cannot put a baby into it until they are about 6-7 mo when they are sitting up.