PDA

View Full Version : Double stroller on a budget

Hallie_D
03-15-2010, 02:01 PM
I've read through a bunch of the stroller stickies and as always, I'm in awe of the knowledge on this board!

Anyway, we are doing a nanny share 2 days/week with our neighbors. The babies are 4 months apart (currently 10 and 6 months). So far our nanny has been able to get by putting my DD in a sling (she is in the 5% for weight) while pushing the older baby in our single stroller (she is 75% for weight and already walking) on their infrequent trips out of the house. However, as the babies grow this is proving to be too much for the nanny, and, now that the weather is finally warming up slightly, she wants to take the girls out for walks. Because she watches the girls in my house, it has somehow become my responsibility to find a decent double stroller. My preference is something on the less-expensive side, because money is tight for both families (we are open to used but I haven't found anything in good shape and affordable on CL the few times I've checked). Our nanny is very short (just under 5 feet). She will use the stroller inside on trips to the local museums, and outside on absolutely atrocious Chicago sidewalks. We have a very small condo with limited storage (and we already keep our beloved MBUS in the trunk of the minivan, which the nanny uses to transport the girls).

Does anyone have any recommendations, including side-by-side vs. one seat in front of the other? I literally know nothing about double strollers other than what I've read here and there are almost too many choices!

Thank you!

boltfam
03-15-2010, 03:58 PM
I am sure others with more knowledge about stroller will better be able to answer your question, but my DH and I just saw the Combi Twin Savvy, which is very affordable. I didn't consider it because I have a 2 1/2 yo. in the 80th %ile and DH is 6'6" but i have heard that Combis are good for shorter people.

gobadgers
03-15-2010, 04:05 PM
I liked having a Phil and Teds when we were in a condo because I felt it was easier to maneuver through multiple doors to get outside. But they do get pricey (I found a great deal on one thanks to this board a couple years ago!).

Where do you live in Chicago? I am in the far north suburbs, but a neighbor just mentioned this morning that she wants to sell her BOB double. Send me a PM if you want!

Hallie_D
03-16-2010, 08:02 AM
Thank you!

Christine, I did pm you.