PDA

View Full Version : Zip Lines, Anyone?

Raidra
03-15-2010, 04:16 PM
I'm looking at ways to spruce up our yard, make it a bit more fun for the kids this spring, since I have no idea how often I'll be able to drag them all to the playground once the baby comes. :) I've seen zip lines on a few different websites and I think that would be really fun. Does anyone have one in their yard? I'm most concerned about how you install it.. we have a huge tree that the boys can climb into, but I don't want anything drilled into the tree or whatever (we have lots of things hanging from the tree). We also don't really have a great place on the other end.. I'm hoping that we could maybe sink a fence post (with cement) and use that as the end point?

Anyway.. does anyone have experience with zip lines in their yards? Mind sharing how it's worked for you?

Thanks!

toby
03-16-2010, 10:50 AM
I had one as a kid and loved it. I thought that it involved a cable around the tree and not drilling, but I wasn't focused on these things when I was younger! I don't know much about them (sorry), but am bumping this up in case others have comments...

Tondi G
03-16-2010, 12:07 PM
You mean something like this right?

http://www.byoswingset.com/funridesuperz.html

I would think that a tree to a 4x4 fence post sunk/cemented into the ground could work. You could try calling this place and asking them what they think about a set up like that!

Raidra
03-16-2010, 01:07 PM
I had one as a kid and loved it. I thought that it involved a cable around the tree and not drilling, but I wasn't focused on these things when I was younger! I don't know much about them (sorry), but am bumping this up in case others have comments...

Yeah, I read a little more about it, and that's what they recommend. The problem is that a cable tied tightly around a tree branch will eventually erode the bark and the living layer of wood.. if that happens, the branch will die.

Just in case anyone else is searching for info, here's what we're thinking after reading reviews and whatnot. There are a couple different versions with different lengths. The regular one, at 35', doesn't require much of an incline but the weight limit is only 100 lbs. The next ones up have a much higher weight limit (225 or 250 lbs) and longer cable, but the starting point has to be at least 15 feet off the ground. Obviously, for my kiddos, that's not something I'm comfortable with. So we'll buy the 35' and give it a smaller incline. We'll probably sink fence posts with cement for extra stability, and build a little platform for the kids to take off from. Sounds like a fun project. :)

o_mom
03-16-2010, 01:26 PM
We had one growing up and used a piece of tire rubber around the tree trunk where the cable was to give it some padding. It did eventually work into the tree (over 20 years), but the tree is still standing and healthy.

christiedavid3
03-16-2010, 02:00 PM
Oh my goodness, that sounds like sooooooooo much fun!!!! I've never seen one in a backyard, but I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to have one!!!

Please share pics when you are finished! :jammin:

Raidra
03-16-2010, 02:06 PM
We had one growing up and used a piece of tire rubber around the tree trunk where the cable was to give it some padding. It did eventually work into the tree (over 20 years), but the tree is still standing and healthy.

That's a great idea! We have a tire place nearby that will let us have old tires for free (my mom had some weird plan for them, don't ask). Thanks!

Tondi G
03-17-2010, 09:12 PM
Yeah, I read a little more about it, and that's what they recommend. The problem is that a cable tied tightly around a tree branch will eventually erode the bark and the living layer of wood.. if that happens, the branch will die.

Just in case anyone else is searching for info, here's what we're thinking after reading reviews and whatnot. There are a couple different versions with different lengths. The regular one, at 35', doesn't require much of an incline but the weight limit is only 100 lbs. The next ones up have a much higher weight limit (225 or 250 lbs) and longer cable, but the starting point has to be at least 15 feet off the ground. Obviously, for my kiddos, that's not something I'm comfortable with. So we'll buy the 35' and give it a smaller incline. We'll probably sink fence posts with cement for extra stability, and build a little platform for the kids to take off from. Sounds like a fun project. :)

you could try splitting a garden hose or a rubber hose of some sort to provide some protection for the tree maybe?

willow33
03-19-2010, 07:03 PM
Just wanted to say thank you for the zip line suggestion. DH and I talked about it last night and I think we are going to get one too!! The kids are going to be very excited!!

I think DH is even more excited...will have to get the one that can hold more weight ;) I saw a few online...where are you buying yours from?

Raidra
03-20-2010, 12:25 AM
We got ours from Amazon. Hearthsong sells them, too, I think.