PDA

View Full Version : Longchamp "le pliage" tote

cchavez
03-16-2010, 11:11 AM
We are taking a big family trip to southern california and I need to good tote to use as a carryon and beach bag. I am thinking of a longchamp le pliage tote. I really want chocolate or black but I still have to check them out IRL. Do you all think the longchamp is a wise choice? I am leaning towards medium and not large....I really want something that is classic and will last. Finally, I do already have an REI bag that I would stuff in my tote to to use at the zoo, sea world and disneyland. We also plan on spending two days at the beach. Any thoughts...or should I go for a cheaper tote? DH has a ton of tumi bags and they have held up so great...thinking longchamps would be my version of tumi????

AnnieW625
03-16-2010, 11:23 AM
I have heard wonderful things about them! They wear like iron. I am sort of considering one for a diaper bag, but I don't believe they have pockets! For DL and getting on and off rides I really like something light that can go over my shoulders. I have one like this (http://www.ajli.org/ama/orig/spot-pak-web.jpg), it's great because it doesn't take up much space and you can easily put a package of wipes, some hand sanitizer, and your wallet in it. Otherwise you might want something like a Lands End/LL Bean tote for the beach because it has a flat bottom, is washable, and very durable.

cchavez
03-16-2010, 11:36 AM
I already have a bag like this for the parks....

http://www.rei.com/product/763408

Plus DH will have his backpack. I just want a nice carryon/tote bag...that will double as a large purse on this trip and future trips. I would not take the bag in the parks...would stay at the hotel.

I already have some lands ends totes...that I use for work. I would still have to order a new one for our trip b/c I need a zipper top and a darker color. DH wants me to get a LE tote for the trip....but would I really want to use the LE tote as a carry one for years to come??? We don't travel that often...but our next trip after CA will be Las Vegas (just DH and I) probably in Dec/January...would I want to use the Le tote again???

Momof3Labs
03-16-2010, 11:37 AM
For theme parks, I much prefer a cross-body bag (or a backpack, if that's more your style) for getting on and off rides. It's a lot harder to keep a tote on your shoulder while helping the kids. How would the leather hold up if it got wet? Water at theme parks is another reality - water rides, rain, spilled drinks, sweat, etc.

ETA: Saw your note that you wouldn't use it at the theme parks. Is it big enough to hold a magazine, laptop or DVD player? If not, it would be too small IMO to use as a carry-on. But it would be cute to use as a purse down the road. And you are planning to use it at the beach?? I wouldn't even consider taking leather (or a $100+ bag) to the beach, personally.

cchavez
03-16-2010, 02:21 PM
I haven't actually seen them IRL...but heard they can hold a ton.

viba424
07-25-2012, 08:45 AM
I just bought a Longchamp le Pilage expandable tote and it just arrived last night. DH said it looked like one of those bags you get for free with a cosmetics purchase, gasp! I got it from the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale. I was excited about the color but its hard to justify, given its not the only "deal" Ive come accross this month.

I thought it would be perfect for my weekly work travels but I tend to agree a bit. Its hard to justify paying $135 for a simple nylon bag. They are so popular, are we the only ones that don't get it? What are your thoughts?

urbanmommy
07-25-2012, 09:16 AM
I have a couple Longhand bags and they are pretty but aren't easy to clean. I'd go for black or navy as those would hide smudges best.

If you want a good beach bag/carry on, what about a LL Bean boat and tote canvas bag? Those are real workhorses and you can put them in the wash.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk 2

Green_Tea
07-25-2012, 09:29 AM
I just bought a Longchamp le Pilage expandable tote and it just arrived last night. DH said it looked like one of those bags you get for free with a cosmetics purchase, gasp!

I totally agree with your DH. :bag

I love me a nice bag and have been know to spend a lot on one, but I don't get the Longchamp bag.

ourbabygirl
07-25-2012, 09:46 AM
Well, I think they're so cute! I like the simplicity of them. I was super close to getting one a couple months ago, as I switch from backpack diaper bag to just a bigger tote, but I was worried there wouldn't be enough structure to the fabric to be carrying around my kids' stuff, and that it would look sloppy. I also wanted something bigger than the smaller size, but not quite as big as the regular/ big tote size. I also wanted to make sure there would be enough handle length to wear easily around my shoulder, but that the two handles wouldn't fall off it (I thought a flatter top part to the strap, or 1 instead of 2 would make it easier to stay on my shoulder).
I guess a big part of the price is just the fact that it's a status symbol.
I was torn on a color choice, too, as I tend to buy very neutral bags (usually black, or maybe brown), but I thought a color would be more fun. But it could also be too seasonal, depending on what color you get, and I'm too cheap to get a bag that can't be used year-round.

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
07-25-2012, 12:11 PM
I put mine through the washing machine! I do not think they are great for carrying heavier things. I bought one when the weight of heavier bags was bothering me. It is cute but the inside is a giant black hole and the corners wear very quickly. Longchamp redoes the corners for free.

JMS
07-25-2012, 12:21 PM
You are kinda buying a name but I think they are great bags and have 4 or 5. What I love the most about them is that you can fold them up in your suitcase and if you need an extra bag you have one! They are also light weight for how durable they are.

HannaAddict
07-25-2012, 02:31 PM
Classic and holds a ton. It is a lighter fabric/canvas but wears great. I've had laptop in it but usually iPad. Holds a ton. I use it for all sorts of things, dressy to diapers but usually not a beach bag. That is my saltwater canvas
Whale from a BBB co-op. It was a gift and I like to give them as a graduation gift. Mine is dark taupe, great neutral. But I wouldn't buy it just as a beach bag.

rolypoly27
07-25-2012, 04:00 PM
LOVE my Le Pliage bag! I have the chocolate one and it goes with me everywhere. It is the perfect work bag, carryon bag, purse/diaper bag for a toddler. I take it with me to work everyday with all my necessities, file folders, ipad, etc. It fits a ton. I use it as a carryon on flights. I use it as my everyday purse with DD's snacks, drink, diapers for quick outings. It only has one small pocket for phone/keys, but that leaves a big compartment for the rest of your items. The chocolate color goes with everything. The medium size is perfect. The expandable tote is on sale right now, but I like the original one without the zipper in the middle. As for the beach, I would take another bag that you don't mind getting wet/sandy. I usually take an LE canvas tote or other cheap mesh bags to the beach or pool. I wouldn't want to take my nice Le Pliage bag to the beach.

viba424
07-25-2012, 08:55 PM
What do you think about the look of the expandable totes? Ugly or preferred (functional advantages or not really?)

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/longchamp-le-pliage-medium-expandable-tote/3102773

ourbabygirl
07-25-2012, 09:11 PM
Looks cool to me (more in the unexpanded form), but the link shows that it's unavailable? Did you snag one earlier?

viba424
07-25-2012, 09:16 PM
Looks cool to me (more in the unexpanded form), but the link shows that it's unavailable? Did you snag one earlier?

Yes, got one at Nordstrom on sale. However Im a little gunshy now that DH really was perplexed at my purchase. Ive never been a fan of the look of the zipper but wondering if the versatility is worth it. I could get a regular one for a little less...I travel three days of the week for work and thought it would be more civilized than a gym bag or a heavy leather bag, but the price seems a little high.

ourbabygirl
07-25-2012, 09:39 PM
Yeah, but they get really good reviews and seem classic enough that you could use them for years. I've seen knock-offs lately (Ralph Lauren at Macy's, and something else at Nordstrom Rack); they must be sought-after for a reason. I saw a woman with one at a recent church picnic; she had a white sleeveless blouse, khaki shorts, and an orange Longchamp tote... super cute! :)

MMMommy
08-22-2012, 10:58 PM
OP, not sure if you already got your Longchamp tote (or already went on your trip!). I purchased this tote for Disneyland, and it was just right for me. It had all the elements I needed - easy access, full zip, nylon (in case it gets wet from the water rides), good interior pockets, etc. I am so glad I bought it, and it worked out well for me. I like it so much that I am considering getting it in another color (I bought black). I had looked at the Longchamp totes as well, but I found the top flap to be cumbersome, and the drop length not so comfortable. The Michael Kors one has a nice, long drop length for sitting comfortably on the shoulders.

http://www1.bloomingdales.com/shop/product/michael-michael-kors-tote-large-north-south-nylon?ID=619344&CategoryID=19993&LinkType=#fn=spp%3D1%26ppp%3D96%26sp%3D2%26rid%3D1 1

ourbabygirl
08-22-2012, 11:08 PM
That is cute! Does it sit well on its own on a tabletop, or flop over? Looks pretty light, which is nice. :) And the straps are flat, which helps it stay on your shoulder. If you saw it IRL, would you say that the Lacquer Pink one is more pink (like the name) or red (like it looks in the picture)?
Thanks for sharing!

MMMommy
08-22-2012, 11:49 PM
That is cute! Does it sit well on its own on a tabletop, or flop over? Looks pretty light, which is nice. :) And the straps are flat, which helps it stay on your shoulder. If you saw it IRL, would you say that the Lacquer Pink one is more pink (like the name) or red (like it looks in the picture)?
Thanks for sharing!

If I sit the bag down, the top flops slightly because all my items are in the bottom. It is very light. I used it at Disneyland for several days, water rides and all, and my black one looks spotless and new. The drop length and straps made it very comfy on the shoulders. I did see the Lacquer Pink in real life. It is more of a reddish pink. I tried it on, along with others (Ralph Lauren, Longchamp), and this Michael Kors one was the most comfortable on the shoulder, and the zipper was easy to open and close. The smaller zip pocket in the front was perfect for easy access to hotel room key, park passes, shuttle passes, etc., without having to fuss inside the main compartment.

ourbabygirl
08-23-2012, 08:21 AM
Cool; thanks for the info.! No big deal that the straps flop over, I was worried about the whole bag tipping over and dropping stuff out if it was set down on a flat surface. Although I guess if it's zippered on top, that would help with that. ;)

We don't have a Bloomingdales here anymore, but maybe I could find it in another store to try in person.

Thanks again!

Zukini
08-23-2012, 11:13 AM
I have 2 Longchamp totes and love them... when I need a nice functional, "neutral-colored" purse that doesnt scream designer (ie. foreign travel, client visits, etc) this is my go-to bag. I have a Medium, long-handled one in a creamy beige-color and whilst I was super-worried about pen marks and color transfer (dark denim), they are extremely easy to clean. No washer because of the leather handles but some dish soap and a clean sponge in spot-by-spot fashion on the counter will do the trick. Looks like new, except for the little corner wear as someone else mentioned.

It is notoriosuly light (and foldable) which is great but it holds a ton, think books or a small laptop / IPAD. For shaping, I use this purse organizer/shaper (http://www.pursetogo.net/) - in the jumbo size since my everyday LV tote is huge, and it makes switching purses a dream. It eliminates the black hole effect and also gives the bag enough structure to stand very well on its own.

I cannot speak for use as a tote at a theme park, I dont have kids yet but thinking a cross-body bag would be better for your back and also to have your arms free for days on end. My 2nd Longchamp is actually a limited edition print purchased earlier this year to be used as an alternative diaper bag once we do have babies - along with a purse organizer, it would be very functional.

Nordies usually has a few you can browse in person. May not be the exact size or color you want, but will give you an idea of the quality. Hope this helps.

MMMommy
08-23-2012, 01:25 PM
Cool; thanks for the info.! No big deal that the straps flop over, I was worried about the whole bag tipping over and dropping stuff out if it was set down on a flat surface. Although I guess if it's zippered on top, that would help with that. ;)

We don't have a Bloomingdales here anymore, but maybe I could find it in another store to try in person.

Thanks again!

I found my black one in-store at Macys a few weeks ago. My Macys store had the black one and the lacquer pink. Macys.com and Nordstrom.com also have them, and you can do a store locator which will tell you if the Michael Kors tote is in stock.

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/michael-by-michael-kors-handbag-kempton-nylon-large-tote?ID=665417&PseudoCat=se-xx-xx-xx.esn_results

small size too: http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/michael-by-michael-kors-handbag-kempton-nylon-small-tote?ID=665416&PseudoCat=se-xx-xx-xx.esn_results

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/michael-michael-kors-tote/3315457?origin=keywordsearch&contextualcategoryid=0&fashionColor=Lacquer+Pink&resultback=2182