PDA

View Full Version : Gothenburg, Sweden anyone?

hellbennt
03-16-2010, 07:50 PM
MIL is being so so generous:love-retry::
buying a volvo and giving us the free trip (Volvo Overseas Delivery Program)!

She is even taking care of the boys while we are away:cheerleader1:!

We're 'just' going for a few days...

any recs?

TIA,
~laura

bluestarfish18
03-16-2010, 09:15 PM
My dad went a few years ago and MIL & SIL went last summer for the Volvo trip. I don't have any details, but they did have a blast.

We're doing the same trip next summer...please let us know how it went!

Andi98989
03-16-2010, 10:23 PM
My SIL has been to Sweden (and that particular area) several times; I'll ask her!

Andi98989
03-17-2010, 09:11 AM
Here is what SIL said:

Nordstan for sure--it's a big shopping center right by the train station.

Avenyn is a fun street full of shops, great places to eat, and clubs. It's also very pretty.

Gunnebo castle and gardens

Östra Hamngatan is another great street full of shops like NK- an amazing department store, Duka- kinda like Crate and Barrel only Swedish, and I believe at the end of the street there's an Antique Hall. Another of my favorite places to nose around.

Östra Hamngatan is one of the boundary streets for Kungstorget, which is basically a big square, and also turns into Avenyn. There's a movie theater in this area along with places to shop and quaint cafes. One that I absolutely love is Ahlströms konditori.

Saluhallen is an interesting place to eat in the Kungstorget area. You can get Swedish meatballs there. :)

There are plenty of museums and art galleries. I've never had time to do much with them because I've been with friends shopping usually, but I did make it to the Medical History Museum! ;D Not likely to appeal to all though. I'm sure the Opera House would be a great place to visit too. I've been to the symphony in Stockholm, but haven't taken in anything like that in Göteborg yet. I don't doubt it would be worthwhile to look into a show or concert. I've always been pleased with the time and money I've spent on the symphony and the concert I went to in December in Stockholm. I doubt Göteborg would be much different in that regard.

I'm sure you could drive the coast, which would be beautiful depending on the time of year you're there. The area around Göteborg is beautiful also.

http://www.gbgcity.se/ in Swedish
http://www.goteborg.com/en/ in English

I'll let you know if anything else comes to mind. :)

hellbennt
03-17-2010, 07:36 PM
thx!!
I'm in the middle of so much stuff (work, LIFE) that I haven't been my usual
research-y self, LOL!

we're going at the end of the month- soon!

I actually almost am glad I'm not planning much; this way, dh & I can just 'be' - we haven't been away together much (once!) w/o the kids!

mom2binsd
03-18-2010, 11:36 PM
It's beautiful, the people are lovely and they'll love it if you learn to pronounce the city name the Swedish was - phonetically it's YOU- TUH- BORE.

hellbennt
03-19-2010, 07:50 AM
ok, almost spit out my coffee as i was thinking "no, you (not you, op!) the bore!"

yes, 6 yr old knock-knock type humour, LOLOL...:rotflmao:

so do you all think it's 'ok' to just wing it? because so far, that's the plan...

Andi98989
03-20-2010, 06:38 PM
We always just wing it on our vacations. I'll usually have one or two things that I for sure want to do, but we figure out schedules and other things to do once we get there.

american_mama
03-29-2010, 02:03 AM
I have been there myself, in 1991 when I studied abroad in Stockholm. I don't remember many specifics... a small harbor, somewhat industrial town, some city symbol or art statue that is very brightly colored... a museum related to shipping, I think.... all very vague. It's the second largest city in Sweden, but not one that most Swedes get really excited about. I think other posters have better information. Sweden itself is a wonderful place to visit: the people love showing off their country, and everything there works really well. Everyone speaks English, but pay attention to the Swedish around you: it's a beautiful language.

hellbennt
03-29-2010, 09:22 AM
yes, I love languages! can't wait...even though there's freezing rain! lol!

indigo99
03-29-2010, 09:04 PM
My husband is from Northern Sweden, and we're going to his sister's wedding there in June - taking DS who will be 9 mo. then. It's a VERY long country, and I've never been down to Gothenburg. I'm sure you'll have a great time though.
For a non-English-speaking country, Sweden has the highest percentage of people who are fluent in English.

indigo99
03-29-2010, 09:11 PM
OH! I just thought... if you have extra room and want a fun souvenir then look for a KUBB game. It's sort of like team lawn bowling with wooden pins. It won't be light to bring home, but I'm going to get one when we're over there. It's fun when you have visitors over in the summer, and my 9 and 13 year old nieces are gonna like it.