PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about your toilet :)

newmomto1
03-16-2010, 09:06 PM
We need (want) to replace the toilets at the house we are moving into. We already purchased 3 american standard "cadets" which had awesome reviews. But, we were over today after our contractor installed one and we don't like it at all. The seat is awful (look and feels cheap, and terribly uncomfortable). And, the flush seems weak.
So, I am curious...
Do you like your toilet?
What brand / model do you have?
Round seat or elongated?
Do you have problems with clogs??
We need to pick something fast!
We are thinking maybe a kohler??
We would like to keep the price under $300 since we need to buy 3.
TIA!!

jenmcadams
03-16-2010, 09:11 PM
Do you like your toilet?
We have three bathrooms and the one I like best (and that works the best is in our updated MBR)

It's a Toto toilet (which we've always heard great things about)...not sure of the model

Round seat or elongated?
Elongated

None

We need to pick something fast! We would like to keep the price under $300 since we need to buy 3.
I know Toto is carried at building supply places, but I've heard from friends that have done a lot of renovations that you can get them much cheaper online than you can in regular stores; I think you could make it under $300 if your ordered them, but not sure if they're that cheap at stores

HTH

SnuggleBuggles
03-16-2010, 09:15 PM
Do you like your toilet?
yes

Pegasus http://www.homedepot.com/Bath-Toilets-One-Two-Piece-Toilets/Bath-Toilets-One-Two-Piece-Toilets/Pegasus/h_d1/N-5yc1vZarj3Zarj3Z14vZ1xiy/R-100685911/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=1

Round seat or elongated?
elongated

not really but if we did I would blame them on our old plumbing, not the toilet

eta- the thing I like best is the "comfort height" because it is such a nice, easy height.
etaa- I can't believe we would have paid that much for it though. But, maybe that was on the price point with other Home Depot offerings?

Beth

wellyes
03-16-2010, 09:19 PM
Maybe try just replacing the seat and flusher before going out and getting new toilets? We went from an apartment to a house and HATED the new toilet but it was because the new toilet was low-water which I believe is pretty much required nowadays. Replacing it wouldn't solve the issue. The 40-year-old toilet was superpowered, relatively, LOL but you can't buy them like that anymore.

SnuggleBuggles
03-16-2010, 09:25 PM
Maybe try just replacing the seat and flusher before going out and getting new toilets? We went from an apartment to a house and HATED the new toilet but it was because the new toilet was low-water which I believe is pretty much required nowadays. Replacing it wouldn't solve the issue. The 40-year-old toilet was superpowered, relatively, LOL but you can't buy them like that anymore.

I was thinking about suggesting that too. I think it is a good option.

Beth

Andi98989
03-16-2010, 09:39 PM
We got an Alexis Dual Flush from Sam's Club - it was right around $100. IL's got one for their master bathroom last year and love it; we got one for our new bathroom in the basement. Neither of us have had any problems with it. They found the seat to be uncomfortable and bought a new one, but that's a cheap, easy fix.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=193423&searchTerm=alexis%20toilet

Alexis Dual Flush High Efficiency Toilet
Water sense certified
Elongated bowl
Comfort height
Includes seat and parts
6.0/4.0 liter dual flush siphon jet flushing system
Large 3in diameter flush valve to maximize flow rate
Highly engineered siphon jet flushing system
Large 2-1/8in diameter trapway to maximize carry-out capacity
Large water surface and powerful rim wash for excellent cleaning action
Durable metal trip lever with easy flushing
Action
Quiet operation
12in Rough-In

mom2akm
03-16-2010, 09:51 PM
We got ours from Costco and like it a lot when it was first installed. However, after having it for 1 year, I'm concerned that the seat and the flush does not seem to be as sturdy as it should be. The seat always shift to the side (just a tiny bit but enough to be annoying) And the flush button has sinked down a little. I hope I can replace the parts if needed to, if not, it'll be very frustrating because replacing a toilet is a huge job. I've always been happy with the stuff in Costco but I have to say I'm a little disappointed this time.

ThreeofUs
03-16-2010, 10:12 PM
Do you like your toilet?

We live in a house with 6 baths. Two of these are the best because they're...

...Totos!

Round seat or elongated?

Enlongated, but that's unnecessary imho.

Never ever. The other toilets, often.

NancyJ_redo
03-17-2010, 01:22 AM
We're Toto and Kohler people here.

Check your utilities (water) provider - many give rebates if you purchase and install certain low-flow toilets. Most low-flows are more expensive because they represent the latest and greatest in toilet technology, but the rebates can offset the cost enough in some cases that it could be cheaper to buy the eligible low-flows vs cheap regular toilets. Not all low-flows are eligible, you need to check your utilities' list of eligible toilets to be sure.

Sorry if I'm not making sense, I'm really tired right now but wanted to let you know re the rebates ;)

tny915
03-17-2010, 01:35 AM
Do you like your toilet?
I seriously love our toilets.

Toto, 3 of them. 2 Ultimate models, 1 Ultramax model. The Ultramax has a better flush mechanism than the Ultimates, but it's more expensive so we could only afford one. Also has an option for a glazed finish that helps the toilet stay cleaner, but we chose not to go for that feature. They have soft-close seats that cannot slam shut. Love them.

Round seat or elongated?
2 elongated, 1 round. Round in kids bathroom, elongated in ours and guest.

In 4 years of owning these toilets, we've only had 1 clog in the Ultimate from when DH flushed many diaper wipes down the toilet for days on end.

erosenst
03-17-2010, 01:39 AM
Do you like your toilet? No. I love them.
What brand / model do you have? Toto. One piece (more expensive, but much easier to clean). Can't remember the name - sorry.
Round seat or elongated? Elongated. I don't care, but DH insists. (I think most men prefer elongated.)
Do you have problems with clogs?? Never. Ever. And we used to all the time.
We need to pick something fast!
We are thinking maybe a kohler?? There's an American Standard that's supposed to be close to as good as Toto, and often easier to find. Most Kohler's, somewhat surprisingly, aren't as good as Toto or that AS.
We would like to keep the price under $300 since we need to buy 3.
TIA!!

MamaSnoo
03-17-2010, 01:48 AM
We actually have 2 of the AS Cadet 3's, and really like them. We also have a Kohler low flow of some sort (I cannot remember the name). The AS Cadets work way better and for a low-flow have one of the best flushes that I have seen (in your moderately priced toilets; I do not know what you get if you are willing to put out $600+ a piece).

I did NOT like them when we first got them. The plumber installed them with a terrible cheapo seat which was not the seat intended for them. I changed out the seats (about $60 each) with the correct seat per the AS website (I also talked to their CS to be sure and they were very nice and helpful!:bighand:) Now, I like them a lot:boogie:. The seat we have now has the slow close feature, so you cannot slam it. Great with a toddler. Wish my Kohler had that. Do you have the seats that are intended to go on them?

Anyway, sorry you do not like them, but I would consider changing the seat on one if possible before going to the $$$ and hassle of changing the toilets. JMO.

larig
03-17-2010, 01:55 AM
We got an Alexis Dual Flush from Sam's Club - it was right around $100. IL's got one for their master bathroom last year and love it; we got one for our new bathroom in the basement. Neither of us have had any problems with it. They found the seat to be uncomfortable and bought a new one, but that's a cheap, easy fix.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=193423&searchTerm=alexis%20toilet

I have this too. Replaced the seat before using. (Seriously, whoever designed that seat NEVER sat on it--OUCH!) I like it a lot, but it is taller than our old toilet. It has very low water in the bowl.

Costco has something similar, I believe.

alexsmommy
03-17-2010, 09:39 AM
Another Toto family here. Love them. No problems at all. You may want to do a search at http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/bath/ Use the search function at the bottom of the page, not the top. That's where I did my research and my parents liked our new toilets so much they changed theirs. I have the ADA height elongated ones. Love the soft-close toilet seats with boys in the house.