PDA

View Full Version : Frosting

infomama
03-17-2010, 10:35 AM
For those of us who don't do frosting from a tub I think P-Dub may have just become our hero. I'm making these cupcakes and frosting today...because I must.
http://thepioneerwoman.com/tasty-kitchen-blog/2010/03/a-tasty-recipe-thats-the-best-frosting-ive-ever-had/

DietCokeLover
03-17-2010, 10:54 AM
That looks so good. Too bad I baked a cake YESTERDAY. Would have loved to have tried that frosting.

Oh, well, I guess I'll just have to bake another cake soon. :wink2:

DrSally
03-17-2010, 11:21 AM
I bookmarked it. I wonder how well it would work with just a hand mixer? I don't have a stand mixer and I wonder if it would get fluffy with the "beaters"

Twoboos
03-17-2010, 11:32 AM
WHY did you post this? WHY????

Now I need cupcakes. PW's commentary does not help the cause, LOL!

mctlaw
03-18-2010, 09:42 PM
This frosting is nearly identical to the one I used to do the spreading-frosting (as opposed to decorating frosting) on DS's birthday cake. It was YUM.

FYI, I found my recipe on allrecipes.com and it is called "best buttercream." There are a ton of tips on the reviews that you may want to read. On those recommendations, I whipped the butter before adding the sugar and then whipped it again.

Dr Sally-only use a hand mixer if you can switch out hands and stand the vibrations. It was recommended on the tips I reviewed to whip the frosting 10-15 minutes to help dissolve the sugar.

DrSally
03-18-2010, 10:55 PM
I just don't bake enough to justify the space and $$ for a stand mixer. When I was growing up, it was my job to beat the real whipped cream for desserts. I always remember the vibrations being annoying, but not too bad--15 minutes though, that's a lot.

ThreeofUs
03-18-2010, 11:05 PM
You don't have to stand there and whip yourself into another time zone if you can get the sugar fine enough.

I use organic sugars, and don't like to buy powdered b/c of corn allergy issues, so I toss an appropriate amount of sugars in my vitamix and pulse. Works great.

GL!

MolieMuts
03-29-2010, 10:15 PM
I finally tried this recipe and it is just delicious! It was easier than I thought it would be. I read the comments section and others recommended beating it longer than 45 seconds. The longer you beat it the fluffier it is. I may play with the coloring and flavoring in the future.

larig
03-29-2010, 10:53 PM
This is almost the recipe that I use for red velvet cake. The recipe I have is called Waldorf Astoria (Red Velvet) Cake & Waldorf Astoria Icing--handed down to me from my Aunt. It is my all time favorite cake. People who say they put cream cheese frosting on their red velvet are missing out. This stuff ROCKS.

We always keep it refrigerated after we ice the cake.

Yes, I use a hand mixer when I make it, even though I have a stand mixer.