PDA

View Full Version : a fresh start for today

lmh2402
03-17-2010, 01:57 PM
first, i want to say a huge thank you to everyone on this board - someone in my previous thread mentioned that they hoped i took all the feedback in a way that felt supportive, and not like it was demonizing my DH. the answer to that is YES, getting all your responses and suggestions is probably the only thing that kept me from bawling at work yesterday. and/or trying to stuff DH into the dishwasher last night. kidding...sort of.

i don't feel like i can talk to my family or friends IRL b/c i don't want them to hate him. and there have been things that i've told them before, that have caused lots of issues...

to answer as many of the questions that you all asked, i'll try to see if i can remember...i certainly won't be in order

DH is 38, soon to be 39

the positive qualities that make me love him:
- 99% of the time, he is extremely upbeat and positive...i am much more of a cynic and have battled depression for as long as i can remember. his positive attitude and perspective is a very calming force for me.
- he is very easy going. which, is a blessing and a curse, actually.
- he tries to be thoughtful in interesting ways. like signing me up for a class he thinks i might like...or talking the dog for a walk at night and bringing me back a milkshake
- he has really made huge strides in the sharing of household responsibilities. given where he came from...and what his norm was. the fact that i NEVER clean the kitchen after dinner, to me is a sign that he tries. he will fold laundry. he will take out garbage. he'll get on his hands and knees and clean the bathroom on the weeks if/when our cleaning woman has been sick or weather has prevented her from coming, etc

also...DH is way quicker to apologize than i am. pretty much always. i struggle with grudges

so these are a few things i know and love about him

OH...and he adores DS. he has rearranged his work schedule so he goes in little later...b/c he never gets home in time before bed. he takes DS right after his morning nursing. he plays with him, prepares his breakfast, feeds him and puts him in for his first nap. he lights up at the sight of him. he spends absurd amounts of time videotaping him and taking pictures. he's super in love with him. and i love that.

that said, he has done some things in our marriage that i would never, ever, EVER dream of doing to him. without getting into all of it now...let's just say i uncovered some very clear signs of him struggling to understand that he was no longer single. and that almost brought our union to an end. i still think about what happened almost every day. and at times it does simmer just barely below the surface.

re: the question about the amount of time spent with my family, yes, i do think that the amount of time we see my family can be overwhelming for him. it can be overwhelming for me!!

but this is where i sometimes get really irritated...i'll say "no" to an invite from my family...and DH will call back and say "yes." it's like a love / hate thing for him. i think he actually also envies my closeness with my parents and my siblings a bit. his family is just...very different.

as for other things going on with him... this is where that overly sunny disposition sometimes gets in the way. the man can NEVER say...something is bothering me. i am upset. i feel sad. i am mad. or scared. or angry.

in the "do you feel settled" thread, i mentioned that we have been on a financial rollercoaster since '07. DH was in commercial-mortgage-backed-securities at a big investment bank. when the bubble burst, he lost his job. and he was out of work for 9 months. it was not good. he wanted to pretend it wasn't happening. he wanted to think it was all going to bounce back and he would just get the same job somewhere else. but the landscape had totally changed. he finally got a job in a law firm - something he said he never wanted to do. but that law firm serviced investment banks. guess what, they soon closed their doors (it was a small shop) and he was out of work again - two months before my due date

now he's in a totally different kind of job - still dealing with real estate and banks, but it's not the same. he's taken major pay cuts. and with it, i think major ego cuts

but not once, during all of this, has he ever been able to say, "i'm scared/mad/sad/angry/confused." i've tried to have conversations with him about how he feels about his new job...and he just says, "it's fine. it's a-ok. it's going to be ok."

so...i do think that all the turbulence has left him feeling deeply shaken, yet unable to process it.

i think/hope i answered the questions.

as for us today, i am not sure. he woke me up in tears at 3am to say he was sorry for our argument and the way he spoke to me. he said he wanted to agree on a number of weekends away. he said he could see why i was upset about the position i was put in regarding this weekend.

BUT...he says all this, but then he starts trying to turn it around again. saying things like, "i can see that you aren't able to be flexible enough to handle me trying to change plans to go with the flow."

ummm...no...that's not quite accurate

anyway, he was in that kind of annoying-trying-overly-hard mode this morning.

i'm not sure how i feel. b/c we've dealt with this issue over and over again. i've had the conversation and the fight about not being put in the position of being the bad guy. i've had the conversation about how strange his priorities feel. and how much it hurts me to feel like his time with his friends is all he looks forward to and terms as "enjoyment."

he always gives me the yes, yes, yes...and then it always is the same thing...a month or two later

i do think we're going to go see my therapist next week as a couple, rather than me going for my private appt

thanks again.

twowhat?
03-17-2010, 02:13 PM
I think that's a great 1st step, if he is willing to go see your therapist with you. I really hope the two of you can work this out. I see that there are so many things you love about him, and he adores your DS so much. It's like he's dealing with a sort of mid-life crisis here:) It also seems like you also need time - the two of you as a couple - to yourselves. I know for me and my DH, this is something that we REALLY lack that I believe leads to a lot of arguments.

Wishing you the best of luck!

BabyMine
03-17-2010, 02:15 PM
:hug: I hope the therapy next week helps.

Snow mom
03-17-2010, 02:23 PM
Sounds like therapy is heading in the right direction. Maybe he'd be open to seeing a therapist on his own regularly too? It sounds like he would benefit from someone teaching him to own his feelings beyond just your relationship problems. GL and more :hug5:

egoldber
03-17-2010, 02:28 PM
anyway, he was in that kind of annoying-trying-overly-hard mode this morning

he always gives me the yes, yes, yes...and then it always is the same thing...a month or two later

This type of being nice and then repeating the same behaviors later is the classic cycle of abuse, including emotional abuse. And the way he is talking to you and treating you is emotionally abusive. Emotional abusers, like physical abusers, know how to turn the tables so that YOU are the bad guy, not them ("you made them do it with your unreasonable behavior").

For the sake of you and your DS, I hope that he does go to therapy with you and that he does make real changes in his behavior. But I grew up in an emotionally abusive household and your posts set off all kinds of warning bells in my head.

Good luck.

JustMe
03-17-2010, 02:32 PM
I did not post on the previous thread, as I am single and don't have any btdt experience. However, I do have the same concerns (possible concerns anyway) as the above poster.

Sending good thoughts your way...

kransden
03-17-2010, 02:34 PM
Good Luck! He may also need to see a therapist privately too.

catroddick
03-17-2010, 02:41 PM
He does have an excessive personality- doesn't he? The men in my family were the same- good is so wonderful with them. Bad is crappy though.

I wish you the best. Please know that you appear to be a very patient and reasonable person. He clearly is going through a lot. But don't let any of this make you think you are unfair or nutty.

Good luck in counseling- I hope this can all settle down for you and be all that you deserve.

AnnieW625
03-17-2010, 02:49 PM
I just wanted to say that I read all of the posts from your post yesterday and I just couldn't find the right way to respond. I am soo glad that things are better and that you've had some time to think things out. We all get like that in different ways or another and it's completely natural. So I hope you have a happy rest of your day.

My DH got laid off three months before we got married and was out of work in his field (engineering) for almost two years and that can be a blunder for anything. DH was also one of those people who would never admit he was scared. I also never realized just how much work he had done, until the morning the movers came and I found myself sitting on the floor in our bedroom shredding at least 75 rejection letters he'd gotten from companies he'd submitted resumes to. I can't even imagine what he would've done had we had a baby. Again good luck, and I'll be thinking about you guys.

Mommy_Again
03-17-2010, 03:37 PM
I am hopeful for you guys. Get thee to a therapist (for joint counseling) with haste. It will take hard, hard work, but it *sounds* like he might have the potential for change, if he is open to it and can recognize how UNnormal his behavior is. Sounds like he had a glimmer of that recognition at 3am, but quickly reverted back to the destructive, manipulative and immature behavior that has been ingrained in him for so long.

One point I never heard you mention (and at first I assumed it wasn't an issue but after reading about his job situation, it should be high up on your list): 6-10 out of town vacations a year are not cheap. Airfare, lodging, meals and let's not forget the t-shirts! If he's been out of work for an extended amount of time, and is in an unstable work environment now, isnt that putting a huge strain on your family finances? Curious as to what his rationale is for risking the financial security of his family in order to run off to his neverending frat party.

Hugs, hugs and more hugs. I really do feel for you. I think you can find enough good in him to make it worth fighting for, but he's got some deep-seated issues that require a good amount of introspection. Please keep us posted and good luck.

edurnemk
03-17-2010, 03:49 PM
the man can NEVER say...something is bothering me. i am upset. i feel sad. i am mad. or scared. or angry.

This is my DH, too. He comes from a family that just doesn't deal with feelings, showing emotions is totally unacceptable adn the right thing to do is to stuff it inside and ignore it... you get the point. This has caused a lot of communication problems between us, since he gets upset if I express negative emotion (anger, sadness, etc.) and refuses to talk over anything unless I can act like a robot.

It sounds like your DH really needs some therapy to work over that and the recent issues with his career. I hope he can make the choice to get some help.

It's a good thing that he at least admitted some responsibility, but do not let him turn it back into an argument about you being the bad guy. The real issue is priorities and respect.

Now that you mentioned that prior incident... I think it might also have some influence on his being so defensive. He obviously feels guilty, knows he lost your trust, and is quick to turn the argument around to avoid any recrimination.

I really hope the counselling session goes well for you. He sounds like a good guy aside from these issues.:hug:

maestramommy
03-17-2010, 04:59 PM
:hug5::hug5:Thanks for sharing all of that about your DH. It does make me understand better why you fell in love with him and why you are still married to him. Hopefully your therapist can help him understand why are he still doesn't get "it" and why this is such a roadblock for the two of you. Because it sounds as though he is trying, but not at some of the really big things.

Will be thinking of you. :hug5:

oneplustwo
03-17-2010, 08:00 PM
I also didn't post in your original thread, although I followed it closely. I had a hard time figuring out how to put my feelings and reactions into words then, although I have been thinking a lot about you all day.

You have such insight into your husband, your relationship and yourself that I admire and find so impressive. Wow! You may feel that you are floundering, but you strike me as incredibly grounded and wise. That's how I know that, no matter what, you will come out of this okay. I hope your husband agrees to regular therapy sessions both with you and by himself, and not just for this upcoming appt. with your therapist. I know you've done it before and it hasn't made much difference, but you really are dealing with a crisis in your marriage and I can't see any other way to fix it.

Hugs to you.

ThreeofUs
03-17-2010, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the update, and for being such a good person as to post what's good about your DH. It sounds like things have been tough for you all, but reading about how your DH loves your DS was really wonderful.

I'm sending hugs and P&PT for you guys. Best of luck as you work to make your marriage better.

SnuggleBuggles
03-17-2010, 08:27 PM
Thanks for the update, and for being such a good person as to post what's good about your DH. It sounds like things have been tough for you all, but reading about how your DH loves your DS was really wonderful.

I'm sending hugs and P&PT for you guys. Best of luck as you work to make your marriage better.

Ivy expressed that very well. I really wish the very best for your family.

Beth