PDA

View Full Version : favorite family friendly vegetarian cookbooks?

AnnieW625
03-17-2010, 02:06 PM
Both DH and I eat meat (mainly chicken or ground beef, but save pork cutlets, and steak for grilling in the spring/summer/fall), but we need to work more veggies into our diet (I just ordered an organic veggie box to be delivered with our milk next week from a local farm:)). DD eats chicken, and some hamburger/turkey burger (but usually only spaghetti or lasagne). We both work outside the home full time so we need options that are also quick cooking. DD hasn't quite gotten the Chinese food thing yet, but she is fine with Mexican, and Middle Eastern.

Thanks so much!

ETA: we do like fish but need to eat it more too.

sste
03-17-2010, 02:09 PM
Annie, my view is that cookbooks are practically a thing of the past! I would go on to the foodnetwork website and set your search terms to vegetarian - - the Rachel Ray recipes in particular are huge kid pleasers. Epicurious is also good. I only cook something if it has a very high star/fork rating from a decent number of reviewrs . . . have NEVER not had something turn out when using this formula.

As someone who is now packing and hauling her shelf of cookbooks to a new house, I vote online!

pomegranate
03-17-2010, 02:17 PM
I find recipes in both cookbooks and online. The Moosewood Cookbook is a classic one. By Mollie Katzen, I think that's her name.

m448
03-17-2010, 02:20 PM
I'm not a big cookbook person either (prefer online) but I have enjoyed the Moosewood Cookbooks I've checked out of the library. There are several and I love her breakfast book too (look under her name as the titles vary).

JustMe
03-17-2010, 02:28 PM
I love "Quick Vegetarian Pleasures" by Jeanne Lemlin. The recipes are easy, dont have ingredients that I would need to buy just for the recipe (generally, anyway), and dd has loved everything I have made from here.

citymama
03-17-2010, 02:54 PM
Check out Mark Bittman's recipes in the NYTimes and his blog, "Bitten" http://bitten.blogs.nytimes.com/ His recipes are fantastic for people wanting to eat more veg-friendly stuff but not wanting to go all veg. His cookbooks are great as well. I also love Madhur Jaffrey's "World Vegetarian" cookbook.

ged
03-17-2010, 02:58 PM
Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone . I'd consider this a classic book.

http://www.amazon.com/Vegetarian-Cooking-Everyone-Deborah-Madison/dp/0767900146

It is a great reference for us. I am not vegetarian, however. But when I need to decide what to do with this or that vegetable, I always go to this book.

AnnieW625
03-18-2010, 04:35 PM
Thanks for all of the responses. I think I'll look for a few of those at the library and see how I like them. I love the internet, but I also love my cookbooks. I probably have 15 of them. I love adding to my collection:)

wellyes
03-18-2010, 06:00 PM
Crescent Dragonwagon! "The Passionate Vegetarian" is imaginative and fun.

FWIW I find the Moosewood books to be terribly old-fashioned and Deborah Madison is a bit beyond my ambition level. Bittman is great but not my style- he gives a base recipe then offers 15 possible variations, perfect for many cooks but not how my mind works. Every one of those is worth trying at the library though. Also grab a few curry cookbooks, curry is often vegetarian and fast and flavorful.