PDA

View Full Version : DH - Chew quietly!

dotgirl
03-17-2010, 04:03 PM
I don't know if I didn't notice before, or he's gotten worse, or I've gotten more sensitive, but if DH doesn't learn to stop *smacking* his food, I'm worried I'm going to lose it. I get that some foods are noise - ribs, chicken off the bone, ok. But toast?! How do you make a gross wet smacking noise while eating toast?

It's seriously driving me batty - I'm considering starting to have the stereo on during dinner just so the disgusting sound of wet chewing doesn't make me lose my mind.

sunshine873
03-17-2010, 04:20 PM
My DH slurps any hot drink. Not just a little noise, but a loud, sloppy, rude slurp. Ugh. I've tried to point it out to him and his response is, "It's hot! What, do you want me to burn myself?" Really? The only way you can keep from burning yourself is to make that loud obnoxious slurping sound? Try blowing on it! Ugh.

Sorry. Didn't mean to hijack your post...just trying to let you know that you're not alone in the my DH has annoying eating habits department.

Green22
03-17-2010, 06:04 PM
I hear you. (Actually, I hear DH.)

I keep telling myself to keeps my lips sealed because this is one of those things that I feel if I said something would qualify as harpy and nagging.

Sometimes I will stop eating though and look over without saying anything and DH will quiet down. Ugh.

Cam&Clay
03-17-2010, 06:38 PM
My ex-DH did this. Drove me nuts. My mother couldn't even eat in the same room with him.

Globetrotter
03-17-2010, 09:20 PM
My DH slurps any hot drink.

mine, too! He also lurps his FOOD sometimes, like if he's eating rice. It makes me CRAZY.

I have said something but he'll blame it on his culture! Give me a break. He's been living here for years and, guess what, his siblings don't do this!!

MamaMolly
03-17-2010, 11:09 PM
Huge pet peeve of mine. I can hear FIL eat mashed potatoes. How is it possible to CHOMP mashed potatoes?!?!

Nasty annoying habit.

salsah
03-18-2010, 12:47 AM
my dh too. i only noticed it recently too (or he just started recently) but it is annoying!

sariana
03-18-2010, 02:44 AM
Is it possible he has allergies, or something else affecting his breathing? When I was a teenager my allergies were horrible. I absolutely could not breathe through my nose. So my eating habits were not exactly polite, as I had to keep my mouth at least partly open in order to breathe.

If your DH is having trouble breathing, he may have altered his chewing habits. It could also be the result of jaw discomfort or other physiological issues.

Or he could just be a clod.:p

I really can't criticize anyone else's eating habits because I talk with food in my mouth.:bag

ewpmsw
03-18-2010, 11:15 PM
Just want to say I feel your pain and it's like an ice pick in the ear. We eat dinner with the music channel and/or stove fan on. I can't stand to listen to DH slurping and chomping his way through a meal. He enjoys every bite and sip out loud and he's a slooooow eater. In my case, it's probably an All My Fault situation. I have sensory issues that aren't his fault and need to learn to deal. Just wish he'd figure out how to eat like a grown-up instead of chawing away like a four year old.