PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with a "Chocolate Lovers Basket"

TonFirst
03-17-2010, 08:28 PM
I'm putting together a basket for a silent auction for an autism charity my husband is involved with. The theme is "Chocolate Lovers" and I am drawing a blank on ideas. I don't want to spend more than about $100, and I would love any and all suggestions. Thanks!

newg
03-17-2010, 08:45 PM
Godiva chocolate all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can sign up online to join the chocolate club and you'll get coupons and stuff too. Plus every month you get a free piece of chocolate!!

They have reg. chocolate stuff and even some heavenly hot choc. mix....chocolate nuts, cookies.......all that yummy stuff!!

Tondi G
03-17-2010, 08:45 PM
fondue pot?

Variety of chocolate to melt, cookies (Madelines are nice for dipping), marshmallows, graham crackers, pretzel rods, I would say fruit to dip but maybe let them buy their own fresh.. you could add some dried fruit (apricots come to mind). Some people like to add some liqueurs to the chocolate (baileys or amaretto). You could add a bottle of Torani syrup to flavor the chocolate.

misshollygolightly
03-17-2010, 09:32 PM
I like some of the other ideas...here are a few more I thought of:
chocolate-covered espresso beans
gourmet hot cocoa or drinking cocoa mix
chocolate-dipped spoons (for stirring into coffee, etc.)
something inedible but chocolate-scented (like a candle)
chocolate-lover's cookbook
maybe this is goofy, but for a "chocolate-lover's" basket, I think of something chocolatey for lovers...like chocolate body paint :-) (you can often find this at adult novelty stores and websites, but I'm sure they have it even on amazon.com)
Vosges chocolate bars are fabulous gourmet bars (especially the Mo's Bacon Bar which combines chocolate and bacon...you can order it from zingermans.com)
and don't forget to include some white chocolate as well!

crl
03-17-2010, 09:36 PM
Dessert wine that goes well with chocolate.
There's got to be chocolate themed cookbooks out there.
Is there a book on the history of chocolate?

Catherine

Seitvonzu
03-17-2010, 09:45 PM
if you have whole foods nearby- they sell vosges bars. they also have a whole chocolate display (near the coffee)

my first thought was godiva liquor. they have dark and white chocolate. chocolate martini!

i don't like chocolate "smelling" things like candles-- they smell like fake chocolate to me- like chocolate licorice (YUCK)

gourmet cocoa can be really good. good fondue chocolate-(those wonderful "feves" or disks would work well for fondue because they melt so nicely)

hershey's has a spa and they might have some bath products you could include? (but i'd be wary of this because of the "fake" chocolate smell?)

we have a DELICIOUS local truffle place that sells at the summer events at a local winery-- i'd include some of those :)

yum....this has made me hungry . time for my 7 dark chocolate almonds!

Twoboos
03-17-2010, 09:48 PM
There's got to be chocolate themed cookbooks out there.

In fact there is a Godiva chocolate cookbook!!! MIL got it for me - can't decide if it was nice of her or not! :rotflmao:

jent
03-17-2010, 09:53 PM
I did a chocolate gift basket for my stepmom once and I included a DVD of the movie "Chocolat".

SnuggleBuggles
03-17-2010, 10:40 PM
Ghirardelli makes some good cookbooks. Really good stuff. http://www.amazon.com/Ghirardelli-Chocolate-Cookbook-Neva-Beach/dp/0898157692/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1268879613&sr=1-4

I would by-pass Godiva, I think it's a bit over rated and there are some great independent boutiques that make an even better product. Not really a small scale operation but Lake Champlain chocolate is delicious and the ingredients are great (caramel made with sugar and butter vs corn syrup).
http://www.lakechamplainchocolates.com/default.aspx?source=GHPRKG&C1=PPC&KW=lakechamplainchocolates&utm_source=adwords&utm_medium=ppc&utm_content=brand

I've always wanted to try something from Jacques Torres ever since I watched his show on Food Network years ago. He's so passionate about chocolate. He has a store in NYC and things available online:
http://www.mrchocolate.com/

Beth

fortato
03-17-2010, 11:45 PM
Trader Joes carries a great selection of chocolate- the Scharffen Berger chocolate (yellow label) is AWESOME. And, they have a bunch of other things- like little Peanut butter cups, and Chocolate Batons, Chocolate wedges...

And it's affordable, so you can get a lot!