PDA

View Full Version : lightweight reversible stroller

ryanmom
03-17-2010, 09:39 PM
My three month old is very nosy. I have an emmaljunga pram that I inherited that she hates because she wants to see everything. I would still like to be able to see her while we are walking though. I'd like to be able to use this stroller as a car stroller as well because I am currently using a snap n go for the car but I'd like to be able to buy something that will work for that as well. Any ideas?

PGTB
03-17-2010, 10:43 PM
My three month old is very nosy. I have an emmaljunga pram that I inherited that she hates because she wants to see everything. I would still like to be able to see her while we are walking though. I'd like to be able to use this stroller as a car stroller as well because I am currently using a snap n go for the car but I'd like to be able to buy something that will work for that as well. Any ideas?

I've looked and looked for a great super lightweight travel/Public transport friendly stroller with a reversible seat, easy and compact fold that would also take a car seat. I cannot find anything under 20lb other than Bugaboo Bee (listed at 17lb). Strollerqueen weighted it at 20lb though, so listed weight isn't really a good guide. It's still pretty lightweight and rides really well and can fold in one piece with the seat forward or in reverse. The older model had some issues with seat reversal and fold, the new one coming out this April should have this improved. The new Bugaboo Bee Plus will be pricier than the old one though (at over $600), so it's not really a budget friendly stroller.

Bumbleride Flyer has a reversible handle and should be ok in terms of weight, but it's not really an ideal car stroller either and not the most nimble in terms of ride. The better car strollers (most lightweight, easiest most compact fold) are unfortunately not reversible.

The more you go in terms of weight and more compromises you are willing to take on the fold mechanism or fold compactness and the price the more choices you'd get in a reversible category. All Bugaboo type of strollers tend to start at 22 lb with the Bugaboo Frog (listed at 22lb). My personal new favorite is the I'coo Pacific (which weights 23 lb and I believe it's not more than that after trying it) and can be folded in one piece and has a fairly easy intuitive fold (but not very compact) and comes at a price under 500 with the car seat adapter and foot muff included. The seat has two height positions, which would be nice for your daughter to sit a bit higher and it also can lie completely flat and convert into a fairly long bassinet in a minute, also has a nice easily accessible basket. Then there is also Peg Perego Pliko Switch, but it's not without a bulk either and it's way too plastic heavy IMO.

happyturtles
03-18-2010, 12:11 AM
I love my Bee as my all-around stroller. It's the only single I own. If you are looking for a car stroller, light-weight, reversible, and walks on paved surfaces, this is a great stroller. If you will be walking alot on rougher areas, then I'd look at getting an AT stroller as a second stroller.

The new Bee coming out is nicer in terms of reversing the seat and has a higher seat back; however I think the cilurrent model is fine. Realistically you will not constantly switching the seat forward and reverse. I left my Bee reverse until my DD was 9 months and wanted to see other things. With the new model coming out, you'll find more deals on the current version. Some online retailers had it down to $399 a few weeks ago.

ehf
03-18-2010, 09:25 PM
Can you tell us where you saw the 2009 Bees for $399. A local store is selling theirs for $450, but I'm trying to decide if it's worth it, considering the drawbacks that have been fixed. The new price on the 2010 Bee is so prohibitive, but the old Bee's short height bothers me.

strollerqueen
03-19-2010, 01:59 AM
I've looked and looked for a great super lightweight travel/Public transport friendly stroller with a reversible seat, easy and compact fold that would also take a car seat. I cannot find anything under 20lb other than Bugaboo Bee (listed at 17lb). Strollerqueen weighted it at 20lb though, so listed weight isn't really a good guide.

Yep, true! I weighed all of their models a few pounds heavier than what they claim. A lot of companies do this, so not just pointing the fingers at them. The problem is, you don't know who is being truthful and who isn't. And if they aren't, how many pounds are they fudging off the actual weight? 3? 10? The only way to be sure is to have someone you know weigh it, or weigh it yourself.

PGTB
03-19-2010, 11:09 AM
Can you tell us where you saw the 2009 Bees for $399. A local store is selling theirs for $450, but I'm trying to decide if it's worth it, considering the drawbacks that have been fixed. The new price on the 2010 Bee is so prohibitive, but the old Bee's short height bothers me.

Where do you get the old Bee for such low price? Everywhere around me it's listed at its retail $529 and nobody would budge.. I also haven't seen it anywhere on the internet for less than 500 either. It must be some stores trying to get rid of their floor models before the new ones come in .

PGTB
03-19-2010, 11:23 AM
Yep, true! I weighed all of their models a few pounds heavier than what they claim. A lot of companies do this, so not just pointing the fingers at them. The problem is, you don't know who is being truthful and who isn't. And if they aren't, how many pounds are they fudging off the actual weight? 3? 10? The only way to be sure is to have someone you know weigh it, or weigh it yourself.

I think I can name the most recent offender in my searches for the lightweight travel stroller. It's Peg Perego SI, listed at 12lb. NO WAY this thing is 12 lb! I've lifted it myself and it's pretty much comparable if not heavier than BJCM, so it must be around 17lb. DH lifted both folded Si and BJCM in his both hands and he thought they were the same in terms of weight. I also thought that Bugaboo Bee is more than 17lb, because it seems heavier and bulkier than folded than BJCM for sure, so if BJCM is around 16-17lb, then Bugaboo Bee cannot, it must be at least 2lb-3lb more.

On another note to the OP, if I could only overcome my obsession with the reversible seats and the Bugaboo Bee, I would probably get PP Si or BJCM. Both strollers are under 20 lb, have easy folds, fold almost flat for newborn and take car seats. Si is slightly more convenient in that you don't need to buy an additional car seat adapter, the seat back is hard and the seat is more upright (better for the curious kid), it stands when folded (won't get dirty since wheels don't touch the fabric and more convenient for travel), has narrower wheel base and somewhat similar to Bugaboo Bee wheels. I bet if you get a newborn snuggler or mini-carrycot it would fit fine into both BJCM and Si, so they could be used since birth. If car seat accommodation is not important, there are even more options out there with the whole range of Macs and other more lightweight umbrella strollers.

Jelly Bean
03-19-2010, 04:32 PM
Here's how I feel about the "lightweight reversible" stroller because I was in the same boat and was going crazy trying to find the right model. Thank goodness I didn't get the Bee because DD is 95% for height and her dad is 6'4! And I can't believe the new Bee Plus is going to be $629. Sorry, but that's not enough stroller for that much money. Jeez, I paid $580 with no tax and free shipping for my 2010 Vista from Albeebaby.com during one of their 17% off sales and that has a bassinet, huge basket, million features, great customer service, etc, etc!

Anyway, if I'm going out for a quick trip or errand, there isn't much time that I'm going to be facing DD anyway. So I decided to go with lightweight in that case - Mac Quest. When we're out for longer trips, I wanted the option. So I got the 2010 Vista. I like that you can fold it in 1 or 2 pieces...when I'm alone I take the seat off and fold and lift the frame (18 lbs) on my own. I can do it with the seat on, but it makes it like 24 lbs...a little more cumbersome for me but not a dealbreaker.

I run to the mall to pick up a birthday present = Mac Quest
I go to lunch with a friend = Mac Quest
We go to the zoo = Vista
We spend the whole day at the outlet malls = Vista
Vacation where we drive = Vista
Vacation where we fly = Quest...while it would be nice to look at her while we stroll in Florida, we don't take enough vacations to stress over it.

And believe me, I was stressing over strollers like it was my job.

Hope that helps!

PGTB
03-19-2010, 05:28 PM
Here's how I feel about the "lightweight reversible" stroller because I was in the same boat and was going crazy trying to find the right model. Thank goodness I didn't get the Bee because DD is 95% for height and her dad is 6'4! And I can't believe the new Bee Plus is going to be $629. Sorry, but that's not enough stroller for that much money. Jeez, I paid $580 with no tax and free shipping for my 2010 Vista from Albeebaby.com during one of their 17% off sales and that has a bassinet, huge basket, million features, great customer service, etc, etc!

Anyway, if I'm going out for a quick trip or errand, there isn't much time that I'm going to be facing DD anyway. So I decided to go with lightweight in that case - Mac Quest. When we're out for longer trips, I wanted the option. So I got the 2010 Vista. I like that you can fold it in 1 or 2 pieces...when I'm alone I take the seat off and fold and lift the frame (18 lbs) on my own. I can do it with the seat on, but it makes it like 24 lbs...a little more cumbersome for me but not a dealbreaker.

I run to the mall to pick up a birthday present = Mac Quest
I go to lunch with a friend = Mac Quest
We go to the zoo = Vista
We spend the whole day at the outlet malls = Vista
Vacation where we drive = Vista
Vacation where we fly = Quest...while it would be nice to look at her while we stroll in Florida, we don't take enough vacations to stress over it.

And believe me, I was stressing over strollers like it was my job.

Hope that helps!

I think for the OP it would mean buying two strollers - something like Vista (which is a full size full feature stroller) and the simple lightweight travel stroller. She seems to want both functions in one stroller. Which is what I wanted as well, but couldn't find. Whatever option you settle with it's a compromise of sorts for those who desire this perfect 'all in one' stroller that has certain features (like reversible seat) and also is lightweight and easy to fold. I ended up ordering I'coo Pacific for $422, which has everything - 3 position reversible seat that reclines completely flat and converts to the bassinet, big wheels for comfy city and park strolling, nice basket, fairly light weight for the category - around 23 lb (similar to Bugaboo Frog). I think for the OP, it's important to prioritize what she needs her stroller to do better if she only wants one. If reversible seat and cushier ride is more important then go for a full size stroller - there are deals out there. If portability is more important then forgo reversible seat and all the bells and whistles. There isn't really that much in between..

Bugaboo Bee is actually advertised as 'one and only' stroller that should accommodate a newborn (with the infant insert on fully reclined seat) and a car seat. I met people who used it as their one and only in NYC and were happy with it. I think if you do plan to only have one stroller and you want it to be folding in one piece and being fairly lightweight to lift yourself into the car trunk and be able to have it take a car seat and have a reversible seat feature and a little smoother ride than your typical umbrella then it's not such a bad choice even for the money. I went with the Icoo because I was pretty adamant about the bassinet and the larger wheels, I actually intend to use it exactly the same way as you describe you use your Vista - e.g. for car trips and longer travel I wouldn't mind to pack it with me, I also think we can manage to take it on a few weekend subway trips as well.

Now, our travel situation is a bit more complicated... so, I am holding off on getting a travel stroller right away.

Jelly Bean
03-19-2010, 05:57 PM
I think for the OP it would mean buying two strollers - something like Vista (which is a full size full feature stroller) and the simple lightweight travel stroller. She seems to want both functions in one stroller. Which is what I wanted as well, but couldn't find. Whatever option you settle with it's a compromise of sorts for those who desire this perfect 'all in one' stroller that has certain features (like reversible seat) and also is lightweight and easy to fold. I ended up ordering I'coo Pacific for $422, which has everything - 3 position reversible seat that reclines completely flat and converts to the bassinet, big wheels for comfy city and park strolling, nice basket, fairly light weight for the category - around 23 lb (similar to Bugaboo Frog). I think for the OP, it's important to prioritize what she needs her stroller to do better if she only wants one. If reversible seat and cushier ride is more important then go for a full size stroller - there are deals out there. If portability is more important then forgo reversible seat and all the bells and whistles. There isn't really that much in between..

Bugaboo Bee is actually advertised as 'one and only' stroller that should accommodate a newborn (with the infant insert on fully reclined seat) and a car seat. I met people who used it as their one and only in NYC and were happy with it. I think if you do plan to only have one stroller and you want it to be folding in one piece and being fairly lightweight to lift yourself into the car trunk and be able to have it take a car seat and have a reversible seat feature and a little smoother ride than your typical umbrella then it's not such a bad choice even for the money. I went with the Icoo because I was pretty adamant about the bassinet and the larger wheels, I actually intend to use it exactly the same way as you describe you use your Vista - e.g. for car trips and longer travel I wouldn't mind to pack it with me, I also think we can manage to take it on a few weekend subway trips as well.

Now, our travel situation is a bit more complicated... so, I am holding off on getting a travel stroller right away.

Yep and that's why I love the Vista because you can separate it in 2 pieces and then it's not so heavy. Icoo, Bug, I'd put all of them in the same category. If there was one that did it all, I'd definitely have it because I did enough research to make your head pop off...I think DH's actually did at one point.

happyturtles
03-19-2010, 06:08 PM
I think it was albee baby that had the Bee on sale for a little while. I just check and it's back to regular price. Someone posted on Swap that a local baby store in FL has it on sale for $440 including the bee nest. The new Bee comes out in April, so various stores may be trying to clear out their stock. It'll be hit or miss though.

Sweetum
03-19-2010, 06:42 PM

Maybe we should have a sticky on stroller weights. different makes, models, and weights from people who own them. just a suggestion.

PGTB
03-19-2010, 08:42 PM
Yep and that's why I love the Vista because you can separate it in 2 pieces and then it's not so heavy. Icoo, Bug, I'd put all of them in the same category. If there was one that did it all, I'd definitely have it because I did enough research to make your head pop off...I think DH's actually did at one point.

LOL, me too. I feel like I've done way too much work looking for that perfect one and only stroller and still haven't found one. I decided, it's not a big deal if I have to get two for diff purposes. :D

P.S. Icoo actually does fold in one piece, not a standing fold though, but it was extremely easy and it can be locked. Frog is more complicated than that. Peg Perego Skate 2010 also folds in one piece with seat facing forward and dimension and weight wise it's very much like Vista, you can also stand it upright. I took pictures of them both folded side by side and size wise they look similar, I had a hard time deciding between the two having similar features/dimensions/weight/price. I still would have gotten Vista over PP Skate had I not seen I'coo Pacific and decided to be adventurous.

Multimama
03-19-2010, 08:56 PM
What about the iCandy Cherry? They don't sell their strollers online, but it is reversible, very lightweight and a compact standing fold. The frame can take a car seat or a bassinet instead of the regular seat. The seat has 3 recline positions and the stroller has a not too shabby basket. Plus for 2010 they are bringing the purple color to the US. :) The only real downside I see with it is that you have to remove the seat when folding.

strollerqueen
03-20-2010, 12:11 AM
Actually, I don't think you have to, I'll go check my review, lol! But there is someone selling that purple one on Swap.

Multimama
03-20-2010, 08:13 AM
Actually, I don't think you have to, I'll go check my review, lol! But there is someone selling that purple one on Swap.

Don't have to remove the seat on the iCandy when folding? Your review doesn't say either way. That's what the person told me in the store when I was trying it out. It's more difficult to find information on the stroller since it's not sold online. One person (on Swap) who had one said you had to remove the seat though.

PGTB
03-20-2010, 12:20 PM
Don't have to remove the seat on the iCandy when folding? Your review doesn't say either way. That's what the person told me in the store when I was trying it out. It's more difficult to find information on the stroller since it's not sold online. One person (on Swap) who had one said you had to remove the seat though.

The store owner that carried them told me you have to remove the seat to fold it. I also saw youtube video and it shows that it has a two piece fold and the instructions indicate that you have to remove the seat prior to folding. Not to say that when people actually own the stroller they don't attempt to improvise and manage to fold it differently.

When I saw this stroller IRL I sort of automatically grouped it with the Bugaboo Frog into the same category of the full size lightweight strollers. It felt more similar to the Bugaboo Frog than to the Bugaboo Bee IMO. It has a similar frame footprint (in terms of dimensions) as Frog or similar strollers even though it has smaller wheels on the back. Its chassis is still around 23.5 inches wide and when folded with the addition of the seat I doubt it would take much less space than a folded Frog. They say that chassis weight around 12 lb, which is possibly true since the wheels on this stroller are smaller than other full size strollers. The seat must add a lot to the weight, because I didn't feel lighter than the Bee.

I crossed it off my list early on because I found it to be not quite there as a travel friendly stroller (2 piece fold and wider frame and non-foldable seat, pricey), but not quite there as a full size/full feature stroller (smaller wheels, non-adjustable handle, shorter canopy) and the fact that you still have to buy the bassinet separately (which will make its price pretty much like UB Vista, PP Skate, I'coo Targo, which are better full size strollers folding in one piece). It could work as an easy to manage all in one stroller (given that you are ok with 2 piece fold). Some people like 2 piece fold better, easier to lift. This one will be pretty light when taking it apart, it might be easier to manage it in and out of the car than full size one-piece folding strollers with heavier bulkier wheels. And the colors are so pretty :)

Multimama
03-20-2010, 10:40 PM
Thanks for the mini review, PGTB. I agree it's kind of a neither/nor stroller, but I can see how if you really only wanted one stroller it could work as an either/or (travel and full-size) depending on your specific situation. I haven't seen the travel bag for it in person, but the seat squishes down quite a bit so I imagine if you popped the seat and the chassis in the bag it could work well for travel. I thought the chassis was very light to carry around, I just can't be using two hands to carry my stroller when I need one of them for DS!

ryanmom
03-22-2010, 09:21 PM
It sounds like there are just not any lightweight reversible options. I wrote to uppababy and baby jogger indicating that I was interested in such a product so hopefully one will come onto the market in the future.

ironchefm
03-23-2010, 08:39 AM
It sounds like there are just not any lightweight reversible options. I wrote to uppababy and baby jogger indicating that I was interested in such a product so hopefully one will come onto the market in the future.

What about the Baby Jogger City Select? I'm in a similar situation and we really liked this one after trying it out at the store.