PDA

View Full Version : Gym membership...should I commit?

sunshine873
03-18-2010, 04:51 AM
I have some equipment at home, but it just doesn't motivate me. Maybe it's just because I need to get out of the house a little more. I don't know.

Yesterday I went and toured a gym and really liked it. They have childcare (included) and all the equipment I think I would want (including a pool - which is the be all & end all for me.) It's on the pricey side - $45 a month. This seems even more expensive because I have free access to multiple gyms (and pools) on base, but they don't have any childcare, so I have NEVER gone since having DD.

There is another gym that all my friends are going to (YMCA) which is approx. $32 a month. It's a new facility and they don't have a pool yet. Plans are for one in the future (probably years from now.) For some reason, it just doesn't excite me.

I signed up for the more expensive one and was so excited about it. Somewhere in the process I realized I was signing a contract (for 3 years) but was so excited about the possibilities of me-time to exercise that I signed it anyway. Now I think I'm having buyers remorse. Is it typical for gym memberships to be a contract like that? I mean...I can't just quit. I am locked in for 3 years at $45 a month. I imagine I could go in sometime in the next few days & cancel everything, but it would have to be quickly.

I guess I'm just looking for clarification on if this is normal or not. Should I cancel? But that makes me sad. I like their facilities and need to be exercising. DH is totally on board and is supportive of me spending the $$ in order to get exercise, me time, etc. I just hate, hate, hate the idea of committing myself financially to something for so long.

bluestarfish18
03-18-2010, 07:36 AM
I managed a 24 Hour Fitness for a few years, and most states require a clause within a contract that allows for a cancellation without penalty within 3 days of signature. Double check your copy.

Most gyms allow for a long-term contract, knowing that most members are motivated for a short time and eventually stop working out, but still pay. It takes at least 30 days to really get yourself into a habit of exercising, so if you can stick it through until then, you're ok.

Now, pricewise, I don't know what kind of gym or city you're in, so I can't give you a yea or ney for cost. But in Portland, OR, we charged around $35 for a base membership, covering all classes and access to all other gyms nationwide. But it did not include childcare, that was an extra $2-3 an hour per child. So if you add that in, the price you're paying is by far less expensive that 24 HF.

If I was in your position, I would stick with the membership, but double check your contract for an escape clause. Most likely, you can cancel early if you're not thrilled anymore, but with a penalty.

HTH!

PS...And I feel your pain about not havng CC in base gyms. Ours is just now getting a remodel and will include a free chilcare center, but it won't re-open until we PSC next month.

SnuggleBuggles
03-18-2010, 07:52 AM
Act fast and maybe get out of the contract. 3 years is a long time, though it sounds like a good gym and a very good price, imo. I pay $99 and that's just for me. But, the facilities, classes and childcare are really nice and I can't get those in the cheap gyms around here (especially not the childcare). It's a tough call. I'm just used to yearly contracts so this 3 year thing is throwing me.

Beth

sunshine873
03-18-2010, 07:58 AM
It's a tough call. I'm just used to yearly contracts so this 3 year thing is throwing me.

Beth

I know! I really like everything about this place, but am freaked out about the 3 years. Looking at the contract, it looks like my only out is if we move, although I'm sure I have 3 days to change my mind.

egoldber
03-18-2010, 07:59 AM
Tell them you like it, but only want to commit for one year, not 3. See what they say. It can't hurt to ask. :)

okinawama
03-18-2010, 08:02 AM
I pay 72.00 a month, and that include unlimited childcare. In order to get the less expensive rate I did have to sign a two year contract, but I was ok with that. They did have options for a shorter contract, but higher price.

I have to say that my gym membership has been awesome for both my son and I. It is a wonderful/much needed break from my little guy, and all the while I'm doing something healthy (mentally and physically) for myself. I even find myself going on days I don't feel like working out just so that I can get a short little break. I do a walk or read a magazine on the bike.

I truly hope you enjoy the membership!

wellyes
03-18-2010, 08:10 AM
You are excited about it, your DH is too, childcare included, I'd say take the risk!

$45 is not expensive for childcare & classes & pool. I'd say it is fairly typical. If it's comparable to the Y it's not extravagant & you're unlikely to find anything significantly cheaper.

My gym has no contract but I had to pay a HEFTY "joining fee" which I know is something many people would balk at. But it was the only gym in the area where I was really confident in the childcare (plus a few other significant amenities) and it made it worth it to me.

My ONE caveat: go there at a busy time and check out the childcare while you still are in the trial period. Some gyms have great childcare -- mine has different rooms based on ages, is always well-staffed, is very clean. Other gyms are set up so that it's 1-2 teenagers watched 2 dozen kids in one big room from crawlers to school-aged and that's not as comfortable for me. Others have it so that any woman who volunteers for a shift in the childcare room gets free membership, which CAN be ok but is hardly ideal. Depending on the ages / dispositions of your kid(s) the childcare room is the biggest factor in whether a gym is ok.